gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975498 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 05:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spoke threading.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spoke threading.  (Read 2151 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Spoke threading.
« on: June 29, 2021, 03:49 PM »
I know that someone here used to turn their own spokes. What I really wanted to know was if there is a cheaper way of doing it. What I mean is, the tool is about ?60 or more. Is it possible to use a die? in which case what sort of thread is it?

I have a modern wheel. I love the rim, but the hub is useless being a 8t. I think this would fook it up a bit  :LolLolLolLol:

So I just bought a hub that will work with the sprocket.

Tank hub. However, I am nearly certain that the flange (lol) on the Seventies tank hub is quite a bit larger. Thus I would need to cut the spokes I have and re thread them. Hence needing a tool to do it, that doesn't cost more than a wheel. This is the last build I am doing, so buying one would be pointless.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Spoke threading.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Threads are rolled into spokes, not cut, so a die is not the way to go.
I have a threading tool but it is a bit more complicated than that even as each gauge requires specific rollers and  I only have rollers for 14 gauge spokes (2mm). However, this does seem to still be the standard for BMX? I could lend the tool, assumming that you have 14 gauge (2mm), but it may be cheaper to buy spokes given postage both ways.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Spoke threading.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:53 PM »
Thanks dude that is very kind of you.

I thought with the wheel I am using being new school 8t the spokes would be really long and the hub shell tiny. As it turns out from eyeballing them they look almost identical. I need to Vernier them when I get back over. And yeah, you're spot on new spokes are indeed much cheaper.

This will be harder to see on Rad due to the smaller picture size but..

Sadly the only pic I have of the wheel off the bike is in the box  :LolLolLolLol:

But yeah, it's either the same or very very close.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:56 PM by Midschoolfool »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spoke threading.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx