gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 01:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.  (Read 19953 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2021, 02:45 PM »

Will tighten and true later. That's the easy part. Bits.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2021, 03:59 PM »
Done. I even get the arvo off !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2021, 05:35 PM »

Needs a good wet sand now and a tiny bit more JB. Still, at least it's coated and I don't have to keep fighting rust so there's that.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Only needed a tiny skim.

Barends.

And tomorrow we scrub the white shit from the tyres.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 01:26 PM »
Right, I tried to scrub the white shit from the tyres last night. Twice. It just made it worse.

I did, however, notice that when wet it vanishes.

Normally I would never resort to such tartiness, but I'm fudged if I have done more work than on any other bike to have them looking like some bird shat all over them for the glory pics.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2021, 02:46 PM »

And then it rained. *sigh*. Oh well, all it needs is a good wipe over with isoprop, then some more primer. After a couple of hours from that it should be ready for the orange base. Tomorrow? god knows with the way the weather is now.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Got a break in the rain. The sun even came out. Got some more primer down over the final repairs.

The primer sagged a bit around the repair. Mostly because I put it down quite heavy. I was in a rush as I felt the rain spitting.

It was fine though. I just wanted something to sand back. Which I did about two hours later with P1200 wet. I gave the whole frame a going over too with the same, then cleaned, degreased, tacked and down went the base.

I had some fear over this one tbh. The colour is very close to being fluorescent. Meaning it's almost day glo. Meaning it is usually like chalky powder. That's one thing I have learned with these paints by Kobra. Most are lovely and smooth and a good wet coat is fine, some are very chalky. Like the Dirt Bike NG I did in beige, and the white S&M CW. This however? was the same as the blue. Phew.

My confidence was knocked a bit when I felt one drop of rain and it started to darken, so I literally camped on the back door step for 20 minutes waiting for the last coat of base to flash over.

It's in.

Now tomorrow apparently is the last good day for a good few. So, fingers crossed I can get the flake down on it tomorrow and the clear. Weekend is going to be a total washout apparently.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 01:28 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 02:28 PM »
OK it's done. I let the carrier layer with the flake in flash and then went over it with a tack cloth. This is *really* important because a lot of the flake will dry in the air and land on the frame as over spray. This means it can be sticking up, making the finish rough. So you really must get all that off before you go near it with clear coat.

Seriously I need a bloody holiday.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 05:13 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 07:10 PM »
I figured I would see how my new roller ball cup press was. Amazing, it seems.

Time for some fun.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08 PM »
Today I learned.

That Demolition Vulcan brakes are not only CNC. Oh no. They run on sealed bearings. That blew my mind.

I also learned that Phat Padds are the shit.

And if you sit on the floor long enough you will fook your back up and have to take 60mg codeine  :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously though. All of that dumb shit aside. This bike is absolutely amazing. Like, all over. I've never worked so hard on something, taken crazy risks on something or been so amazed when shit actually worked. Of all of the bikes I have ever built I would say this is the only one I would consider a true masterpiece and a show worthy bike.

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Fantastic job and a great read. Can't wait for the end result  fistblump explosion

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Thanks Glynn. It's nice to actually have time to sit down and read it back myself ! been going at it 12 hours a day for over a week. If I'm not working on it I am sat down planning my next move, looking  at parts etc.

I do have something else lined up for this. But I will probably crack that out in a day or two, then show it.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2021, 06:23 PM »
OK here goes. Custom stand. Bought a double stand with no intention of using both. I just wanted it wide so the bike doesn't fall over. It's heavy.

I bought this a while ago. Look familiar? cool.

Note. These are A3 panels. I already had a flat black one (3mm acrylic) left from a PC I built. first thing I had to do was cut the relief cuts so I could get a good trace. I did this before taking any pics.

I already had a load of stickers that came with the parts. One side will be like a billboard, the other not so much. Also note, the other side will not be black hence the 5 hours in making black decals last night.

You will see what those black shapes are for in the future. Today it was cut, edge, polish edges and drill and tap.

Then.

And.

I can now use that as a template for the other side, which will be made from this.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2021, 10:26 PM »
Right, she's all done and dialled.

Aside from the pegs of course.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Great stuff, as always. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2021, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Mick. OK, so side two.

And then those stencils. The black shapes I designed and cut. They were stencils. /Mind numbing repetitiveness.

Once a world champion PC modder always a modder I guess  :LolLolLolLol:

And had to have orange felt to stop my lino getting torn up.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2021, 05:47 PM »

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2021, 12:01 AM »
Looks sweet. Loving that.  8)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2021, 12:05 AM »
OK. So evening update. I ain't gonna lie I am absolutely exhausted. Not so much physically, but mentally. I am going to rest up for a couple of days.

There is an issue with the Plegs. Basically the inserts are tapered and my socket won't fit down them. It goes in about 2/3, then it gets jammed as I found out last night when it got stuck on the wheel  :LolLolLolLol:

I have ordered some thin wall sockets. This fixed the issue I had with the pedals where I could not get my 8mm socket in, so ordered some thin wall ones. I think that is what is causing it. Obviously this has thrown a spanner in my Fusion drawings, but I said to my buddy I would rather be safe than sorry, get the new sockets in and then design the tapered thickness totally around those so I can actually fit the pegs  :LolLolLolLol:

Obviously with the seat being suede (not expensive, but I don't want to destroy it because I really like it) it is covered. And obviously with me continually flipping it around to work on it the grips were getting filthy too, so they are covered. Wow. That means I am finally getting all precious like an old school collector  :LolLolLolLol:

It's things like the light strip and etc I need now. I am done doing the dirty, heavy, hard work. Two hours of filing those cover panels today and I can barely hold my arms up lol.

I also need to start looking at locations for the glory pics. Like, the final pics. Plenty around, just deciding on where.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2021, 09:55 AM »
Mate, that stand is friggin' amazing. I usually hate the things, especially when they're used for the money shots/glory pics, but that looks so pro that I may have to change my mind. Either that or commission you to make one for my UB2! :daumenhoch:

Enjoy the rest - you deserve it! :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 01:38 PM »
The sun was out so I got some pics. The impact sockets came today so I can fit two pegs and get the dimensions right for my friend to machine the other two (they are tapered inside...)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2021, 12:34 AM »
Needed new sockets to fit the pegs. I needed impact, as they are much narrower on the walls. Two are done.

We also finalised the design for the custom inserts too. I've had a couple of days off. Needed it bad tbh.

Once this is done I will be onto collecting frames  :LolLolLolLol: and I have one I need to restore (the Ruben). So I will do that next year I reckon.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2021, 02:57 PM »
OK, truncated update. So I bought a set of NOS 6pc strips. That had been cut and then put back on the shelf. One side is slightly longer than the other.

So a new upper front end was in order. New levers, as due to the cut 22.2 would not work. I got 1" Dirt Harrys. To sit on the 1" section. I also got a NOS Conspiracy stem. Matches the fork beautifully, but you boys know me there is no way the bolts are staying the way they are.

Front end is now on. Had to made a custom upper gyro cable out of a lower. I ordered a double (the last one is now way too short) but it will take ages regardless.

At the gyro end I used Knarps. At the top end I used this.

Needs work. Greasy (that's easy) but those bolts are hideous.

I quite like the chunky gnarly look of them, just not with the letters. Cast your mind back to Manuel The Dirt Bike, and I will file that off and paint the faces.

So overall a super tidy setup that pulls the brake hard.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx