gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 12:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheel not engaging - removal required?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freewheel not engaging - removal required?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline rmwesley

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Freewheel not engaging - removal required?
« on: September 12, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Please could I ask your advice... I have a BMX wheel which is probably 80s / 90s. The freewheel (freehub?) doesn't consistently engage when pedaling, so I'm guessing grease has gunged up the ratchets inside the body and the pawls aren't able to engage. Does this sound likely and, if so, is it possible to pull the freewheel apart to degrease it etc? I also don't have the correct tool to remove the freewheel, so if anyone could also point me towards what tooling is required, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Richard

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline rmwesley

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Re: Freewheel not engaging - removal required?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 03:25 PM »
Well, I've answered one of my own questions? Flushed it through with solvent and the pawls are now engaging much better / properly.

Still wouldn't mind knowing what tool was required to remove the freewheel though if anyone knows that.

Cheers.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheel not engaging - removal required?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx