gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
973332 Posts in 138606 Topics by 6187 Members - Latest Member: mr gudge January 28, 2022, 09:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!  (Read 322 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
« on: January 06, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Happy New Year (of the tiger)! :bow:

It's January, there's snow on the ground and I'm gearing up for my 6th, yes my sixth season of racing here in Japan! Who'd have thought when I started down this crazy road that I'd still be riding after 5 months let alone 5 years - I certainly didn't! This year has kicked off as last year ended, with snow stopping any play on the bike until today, my first ride of the year and also my first in 2 weeks! Not ideal but such are the joys of living in this part of Japan. The flip-side is that my nearest ski resort is only an hour's drive away, so I plan to head there soon to give the BMX legs some much-needed exercise on a snowboard. :daumenhoch:

Back to racing, Oizumi has just announced a two-race winter series starting on 23rd Jan, though increasing omicron cases may kibosh that. If that happens that I'll try to get in a practice session or two instead, probably down at Gonzo Park as that's the nearest and easiest track to get to.

The same as last year, I'm also planning a couple of changes to my race wardrobe, half out of necessity, half out of piece of mind. The former is to replace the G-Form compression gear that I've been wearing since 2017! Basically, they've started to show their age, with the fabric on the shirt now so thin in parts that you can see through it! The shorts have worn slightly better but the elastic has gone which means that they rely on the tightness of my race pants to keep them up!! So the question is whether I just get replacement versions of both or try something else. As always with me, it'll probably come down to availability and price. ;D

The latter wardrobe change, or at least addition, is another helmet. I love the TLD Stage that I bought this time last year but still hanker after something a little sturdier. I'm therefore thinking of a TLD D3, which is still a super popular choice despite the newer, more expensive D4. There's nothing wrong with the Stage, so I'm happy to continue with that until I find a D3 at the right price. I also have a couple of GT race shirts waiting in the wings, but will bust them out later in the year.

So that's it for this first post of 2022. As always, I will update the thread with pics and progress reports as and when. I started these blogs as a reminder of my exploits, so am happy to keep bumbling along by myself, but feel free to drop by with comments, advice and suggestions! Keep it Rad in '22! :slayer:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:22 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old, British guy make a fool of himself! :D

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • BMX Overlord
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: 2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:30 PM »
Good for you for keeping up the Racing
Love the Design of the GT  :daumenhoch:

I would love to live within 1 hour of doing some Skiing  fistblump

Keep it Rad  :radbmxsmilie:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Thanks mate! :daumenhoch:

Tbh, living so close to ski resorts is a double-edged sword. The advantage is obvious but if it dumps there, that usually means it dumps here, which in turn means snow-clearing. I live down a country road with a dead-end, so we're a low priority for the snow plough. The neighbours and I therefore clear each part of the road adjoining our properties, so that we can drive in and out. Below is a pic of our place on Boxing Day morning. Shortly after that was taken I had to cut down a bamboo tree that was blocking the road due to the weight of the snow! Thumbs down
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old, British guy make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:13 AM »
Well, unsurprisingly, the Oizumi race last Sunday was cancelled at the last minute though not, surprisingly, due to COVID but to a dodgy weather forecast. Thumbs down

Tbh, I wasn't too disappointed because I hadn't ridden my bike for a fortnight due to the weather - check out the 7-day forecast for last week!! Hopefully things will start to warm up soon, though omicron is now talking a foothold over here, so I expect races to be cancelled because of that. May have to start buying things to make up for it! >:D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:17 AM by Mikku »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx