gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 07:04 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
« on: January 06, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Happy New Year (of the tiger)! :bow:

It's January, there's snow on the ground and I'm gearing up for my 6th, yes my sixth season of racing here in Japan! Who'd have thought when I started down this crazy road that I'd still be riding after 5 months let alone 5 years - I certainly didn't! This year has kicked off as last year ended, with snow stopping any play on the bike until today, my first ride of the year and also my first in 2 weeks! Not ideal but such are the joys of living in this part of Japan. The flip-side is that my nearest ski resort is only an hour's drive away, so I plan to head there soon to give the BMX legs some much-needed exercise on a snowboard. :daumenhoch:

Back to racing, Oizumi has just announced a two-race winter series starting on 23rd Jan, though increasing omicron cases may kibosh that. If that happens that I'll try to get in a practice session or two instead, probably down at Gonzo Park as that's the nearest and easiest track to get to.

The same as last year, I'm also planning a couple of changes to my race wardrobe, half out of necessity, half out of piece of mind. The former is to replace the G-Form compression gear that I've been wearing since 2017! Basically, they've started to show their age, with the fabric on the shirt now so thin in parts that you can see through it! The shorts have worn slightly better but the elastic has gone which means that they rely on the tightness of my race pants to keep them up!! So the question is whether I just get replacement versions of both or try something else. As always with me, it'll probably come down to availability and price. ;D

The latter wardrobe change, or at least addition, is another helmet. I love the TLD Stage that I bought this time last year but still hanker after something a little sturdier. I'm therefore thinking of a TLD D3, which is still a super popular choice despite the newer, more expensive D4. There's nothing wrong with the Stage, so I'm happy to continue with that until I find a D3 at the right price. I also have a couple of GT race shirts waiting in the wings, but will bust them out later in the year.

So that's it for this first post of 2022. As always, I will update the thread with pics and progress reports as and when. I started these blogs as a reminder of my exploits, so am happy to keep bumbling along by myself, but feel free to drop by with comments, advice and suggestions! Keep it Rad in '22! :slayer:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:22 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: 2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:30 PM »
Good for you for keeping up the Racing
Love the Design of the GT  :daumenhoch:

I would love to live within 1 hour of doing some Skiing  fistblump

Keep it Rad  :radbmxsmilie:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Thanks mate! :daumenhoch:

Tbh, living so close to ski resorts is a double-edged sword. The advantage is obvious but if it dumps there, that usually means it dumps here, which in turn means snow-clearing. I live down a country road with a dead-end, so we're a low priority for the snow plough. The neighbours and I therefore clear each part of the road adjoining our properties, so that we can drive in and out. Below is a pic of our place on Boxing Day morning. Shortly after that was taken I had to cut down a bamboo tree that was blocking the road due to the weight of the snow! Thumbs down
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:13 AM »
Well, unsurprisingly, the Oizumi race last Sunday was cancelled at the last minute though not, surprisingly, due to COVID but to a dodgy weather forecast. Thumbs down

Tbh, I wasn't too disappointed because I hadn't ridden my bike for a fortnight due to the weather - check out the 7-day forecast for last week!! Hopefully things will start to warm up soon, though omicron is now talking a foothold over here, so I expect races to be cancelled because of that. May have to start buying things to make up for it! >:D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:17 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 12:28 PM »
Blimey! What happened to February?!? Can't believe it's March already! Nothing much to report from a riding point of view but that's hopefully going to change soon, as it stops snowing, the weather warms up and COVID infections start falling. Well 2 out of those 3 at least!! ::)

I do, however, have some racing news and that is the announcement this week that the Midoriyama track is going to close down. This is the track that I first raced at back in 2017 and therefore holds a lot of memories. Although I subsequently moved out of the area and haven't raced there for over 2 years, I still have a soft spot for the place, so was sad to hear the news. However, it looks like they're going to have a final, farewell race meeting on the 13th, which is the weekend after next. As luck would have it, I'm off work for most of the month, so can actually make it. That gives me about 10 days to get myself and the bike back in race shape!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 12:43 PM »
Made it down to Gonzo Park today for some much-needed track practice, the first track visit this year and the first time in almost three months. Despite the fine forecast, when I arrived I discovered that it had been raining and the track was closed but that I could use the park. Since I had driven over two hours to get there, I thought something was better than nothing and having never seen it let alone ridden it before, I handed over my Yen and went for a butcher's. As you can see from the pics below, the park had some rhythm sections set up, which was a pleasant surprise. I therefore had a good 30 minutes worth of practice there before being unexpectedly told that the main track had reopened - bonus!! I therefore could blow away the cobwebs on there for a couple of hours. It was bloody cold but I wasn't complaining! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 01:51 PM »
What a hectic but fun weekend that was! I made the trek down to Midoriyama for their farewell, final race on Sunday. Will post a full report but it was an eventful meeting with a puncture and a crash, both of which I survived to make the main. Anyway, here's a photo to be going on with whilst I flex my typing fingers - all two of them! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 12:15 PM »
So, last Sunday. As expected, it was the biggest turnout I've ever seen at Midoriyama, with every man and his dog coming out to say goodbye to the place. There was therefore a really good vibe, with lots of people catching up with each other for the first time in ages and everyone keen to enjoy one more race there. Entries for non-members (including me) were on a first come, first served basis, so I got there early to get a place in the queue for entry forms. I bloody well wasn't going to spend all that time and money to get there and not race. Thankfully I got my entry and was also able to run with the same plate that I started out with there, 5 years ago. A nice touch, I thought. 8)

The track needed quite a bit of maintenance and with all the entries to sort out, racing didn't start until 12-ish, two hours later than normal. That did give me the chance to get some practice in, which was much-appreciated having not ridden there in over years. They had built a mini-tabletop in the first straight (which was fun) but apart from that, everything was much the same as before, so I was soon back into the swing of things. :daumenhoch:

Onto the racing, the over 30s were divided into two groups, with the top 4 from each going through to the main. I discovered a front puncture just before going to staging for my first moto, so quickly whipped off the front wheel and replaced it with a spare aka the front wheel that I "borrow" from the Crupi just for this eventuality. Then, during the first moto I was taken out from 3rd place by the guy in second, who had taken avoiding action after the leader had a bit of a moment. I quickly got up (thankfully without injury) and finished in fifth. The next two motos I finished 3rd and 4th, meaning that I finished 4th in my group and therefore just qualified for the main. After the first moto crash, that was a real bonus. The main itself was fun. I think I was dicing for fourth and fifth places but eventually lost out and finished 6th, though I did all I could and was happy with that. After the trophies, everyone was called onto the track for some group photos and that was it. Well it was for me as I had to get back on the road and head for my hotel.

So overall, it was a bloody good weekend. Long, tiring, but fun, and well worth the effort on my part. It was a nice send-off for the Green Mountain! :bow:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:17 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 06:20 AM »
A few more pics from the weekend, starting with the results and then a couple from the drive home, when I stopped for a break with some Mt Fuji views. :coolsmiley:

Moving on, KBU have announced the 2022 Oizumi race schedule in Osaka. The first race is on 10th April, so hopefully the omicron situation has improved by then to prevent another cancellation, yesterday's winter season race having been cancelled for that reason. >:(

I am also hoping to be out racing again this weekend at Shonan Speedway, down in Chiba Prefecture. I went to the same race this time last year and unfortunately, it looks like the rain gods are also planning a repeat performance, with dodgy weather forecast for Sunday. Hopefully that changes before then and I can at least get in a practice day on the Saturday. Updates, reports and pics to follow. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Well that weekend didn't quite go to plan, though somehow I got my BMX fix. I made the trip down to Tokyo for Sunday's SSW Cup but found out on the way that it had been postponed due to bad weather! I have a family get together and other things to do here, so it's not a wasted journey though obviously not what I had planned. Determined to get some BMXing in somehow, I drove to the track on Saturday in the hope of a practice session, but the incoming rain front put paid to that, with blustery wind and rain putting a dampener on things. Sunday morning was looking a lot better and sure enough, the TO posted that although the race was postponed, they would open the track in the afternoon. I therefore drove back there to find a fairly full car park with riders already on track. I took it fairly easy to begin with, especially as it was still damp, particularly in the berms. I therefore concentrated on a couple of straights including the rhythm sections, until I heard the start gate cadence. That was a God-send for me, as I really need the gate practice! After a few wobbly efforts, I slowly got back into the swing of things and must have done around 20 gates before having a time-out. I then took the opportunity to watch the other riders, including elite Japanese team member, Kanami Tanno, who was by far and away the fastest and smoothest rider there. Rested and fuelled up, I went out for the second gate session and had another dozen plus gates before my legs cried enough. On one of those gates, I lined up next to Tanno, which was fun. So overall, it was a good day. No racing but some track time and invaluable gate practice. Plus the chance to watch and share a gate with an elite rider. Next up is the first race of the Oizumi race series, scheduled for April 10th, COVID and weather-permitting. I'll be running a number 9 plate there this year, which gives me another excuse to use yet another number plate! Bring it on! :D

A few pics below:-

1. Saturday. :(
2. Sunday. :)
3. Kanami Tanno. :bow:
4. UB2. 8)
5. Oizumi Registration. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 03:30 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 09:38 AM »
Recycled and sticker-bombed an old race plate for next weekend! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 12:09 PM »
Great weather for the first round of the KBU race series at Oizumi in Osaka the other weekend. Unfortunately there wasn't a great turnout of riders, most probably due to all the cherry blossom viewing and it being the last day of the Spring break for many people, etc, etc. There were therefore only 9 motos, though thirteen riders in my ever-popular over-30s mixed class, divided into two racks, with the top four in each going through. I was in the first rack of seven and was battling for 5th place in the first moto when the fourth-placed rider went down in the final berm. I just about squeezed through the gap between his wheel and flailing foot and held on for fourth. With the fallen rider retiring for the day, moto 2 saw my battle for fifth become a battle for fourth, with a place in the main at stake. Going into the last straight in 5th, I managed to gain some speed through the rhythm section to snatch 4th place. It was good to see the pumping practice pays dividends. The third moto was much the same, though the same guy had learnt his lesson and took my line in the final straight, just holding off my late charge to the finish. However, a 4th, 4th and 5th just about put me in the main, where I ended up 7th. I wasn't unhappy with that because the class is mainly masters-level riders. With the racing finishing early, they ran an extra gate session after the awards, so I also stayed on for that - bloody knackering but well-worth it for the invaluable practice. The next race there is not until late May, so I definitely want to go back before then for a longer practice session. Before then the Niigata track is likely to open up after the winter break, so hopefully I can get back up there too. In the meantime, I'm trying to get in as much time on the bike as possible, with at least one ride a day, weather permitting. Also want to ramp up the sprint practice, so that's on the cards this weekend. :daumenhoch:

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 05:44 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 02:27 PM »
JBA announced their 2022 schedule last week, with the first race on the 1st but that was rained off and postponed to this coming Sunday. The weather's looking much more promising for that, so I may even head up there on Saturday for some much-needed practice. Pics and report to follow. :daumenhoch:

Offline monkian

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 03:09 PM »
Great to see you still keeping rad Mick  8)
WANTED: Japanese OS / Anything Tange / Tioga / Parts!!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Bloodyhell mate, haven't heard from you in ages! How the hell are you??

Yeah, still keeping the Rad flag flying over here, though couldn't make today's race as have picked up a groin strain. Thumbs down

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 08:09 PM »

Yeah, still keeping the Rad flag flying over here, though couldn't make today's race as have picked up a groin strain. Thumbs down

STRETCH mate, you not 21 any more!!!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline monkian

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 09:31 AM »

Yeah, it's been a while but all good here thanks  :daumenhoch:
I hear wasabi paste is really good for groin strain!!  >:D
WANTED: Japanese OS / Anything Tange / Tioga / Parts!!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 02:02 PM »
Well I guess that wouldn't be much worse than Tiger Balm or Deep Heat! Would have to be careful not to get any on the crown jewels, though! ;D

Glad to hear all's well Paul. :daumenhoch:

Back to racing, I'm hoping to head back to Osaka next weekend for the second round of their series. With that in mind, I've started to go out on the bike again after taking most of the week off to rest the ol' groin! Plenty of stretching is the order of the day, though to be fair, I think I did it digging up bamboo shoots rather than riding BMX! "nono"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 06:33 AM »
The weather has threatened to throw a spanner in the works with some rain forecast for today but it looks like we're still on for some more KBU race action tomorrow! Pics and report to follow! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:34 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 11:42 PM »
Made it to Osaka yesterday for Round 2 of the KBU race series. Another nice, sunny day but super low turnout due, I think, to another race not too far away. No complaints though, as there were plenty of entries in the Over 30s Mixed Class, with 11 riders spread across two racks. I was in the second rack of 6 riders, with 4 going through to the main. To cut a long story short, I finished 5th, 5th, and 5th, so missed out on the main. Basically, the guy in 4th was just that little bit too good for me. We would get out the gate about the same but he would be a wheel ahead by the first jump and I'd be either just beside or right behind his back wheel going into the first berm. He'd then pull a bike length on me in the second straight, 2 by the third and three by the last. That was the basic pattern in all three motos, so quite frustrating but motivating too. Makes me realise that I need to ramp up my training after the winter break, so that's the goal for the next few weeks:- to get in better shape before Round 3 next month! :daumenhoch:

In the meantime, there's another race in Niigata this coming Sunday, so hopefully I can get up there for that. Onwards and upwards! 8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:55 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2022, 01:11 PM »
Made it up to Niigata on Sunday for round 2 of their series but my first time out after missing round 1. As always, a low turn out with only six classes but surprising, there were five entries in my over 30s class, or rather, the 17+ class, to include a lone, 17 year old. I wasn't expecting much but had a fun day, finishing 4th, 4th and 5th and mixing it with different riders each moto. Although I didn't make the main as of right, I was allowed to run, which was good, and I can therefore have no complaints coming in fifth. Have added a few pics below.

I stayed on for about an hour's practice to make the most of the track time before the long drive home. I always say this but man, I wish I lived near a BMX track, as I could really benefit from some regular practice sessions. However, I've heard that a pump track is being built near one of the universities I work at, so if that happens I should be able to hit that up more easily than getting to a track. :daumenhoch:

Next race is next month, in three week's time, so I'll try to squeeze in another track session before then, possibly at Gonzo Park but we'll see what pans out.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2022, 11:56 PM »
It's Round 3 of the KBU series in Osaka this weekend, so if the weather holds (it's the rainy season here now), I'll hopefully be heading down there early Sunday morning for that. Was hoping to have had another track session beforehand but that didn't pan out, so will just have to wing it instead! ;D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2022, 04:05 AM »
I did indeed make it down to Osaka last Sunday for round 3 of the KBU race series. Man it was hot and humid there but no complaints as there were 17 riders in the Over 30s Mixed class, divided in 3 racks with the top 4 going on to a semi. I was in the first rack of 5 and had a good fight for a top-4 spot with two of the other riders. You can see from the pics of the first moto that we were fairly even out of the gate. However, I got over-excited making a move down the inside of the rider in 4th and got bucked up over a jump. I kept it together but that was enough to mess up the move and I couldn't get it back, finishing in 5th. Moto 2 was less dramatic, ignoring the lack of air in the front tyre, and I ended up 5th again, though with a different rider finishing just ahead of me. Between motos I diagnosed a slow puncture, so pumped up the tyre and hoped it would hold enough for the third moto. Thankfully it did and I made amends for my earlier mistake with a 3rd place. Not enough to make the semi but a good end to the day. Plus, when I first started racing at Oizumi both of those two riders would always beat me, so I feel I'm making some progress at least! Anyway, you be the judge as here's a vid of Moto 3:-

/>
Am actually due out again tomorrow for Round 3 of the JBA race in Niigata but it's been raining on and off this week, so I'm not sure it'll go ahead. In any case, I'll be spending this afternoon sorting out bloody tyres and tubes! Thumbs down

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2022, 02:52 PM »
Surprisingly, Round 3 of the Niigata series went ahead last Sunday, so I headed up there for my second race weekend in a row. It was bloody hot but at least it was dry, so no complaints!

At the last round, a mountain biker turned up (on a BMX) and we had some good dices for position. He was back this time with 4 of his friends, two on MTBs and two on BMX. So with the five of them plus yours truly, we had a 6-man moto in a genuine over 30s class albeit with MTBs in the mix. I had a good scrap for places and went 3-3-2 to qualify for the main. Unfortunately the guy from Round 2 whom I had beaten in the motos, pipped me to the first berm and I couldn't get the position back. I therefore finished 4th which wasn't bad but I know I could and should have got on the podium. :(

Anyway, after taking a breather and stocking up on fluids, I consoled myself with some afternoon gate practice. I really focussed on form and technique rather than speed and think I made a bit of progress, which was good to see. The next race is back down in Osaka on the 10th, so hopefully I can put that extra gate practice to good use there. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:57 PM by Mikku »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2022 Race Blog - Happy to be Bad if not Rad!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx