gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  dying seat with Dylon?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: dying seat with Dylon?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline ammacopij72

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
dying seat with Dylon?
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:30 PM »
Have managed to source some Dylon madonna blue powder tins and am going to try dying a og 80s yellow viscount mx to blue. found this (https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=7254237...) on the museum but its not clear if you have to bring the water back to the boil after adding the dye? Any thoughts or advice appreciated..

Neil

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: dying seat with Dylon?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 02:43 PM »
Rit dye has always worked for me with Kashi and Elina saddles. Dyed them in minutes. Just keep the pan gently bubbling away with the lid on otherwise the dye gets everywhere. The dye doesn't effect the side logos either. The biggest problem was finding a pan big enough to hang the seats into. The chinese supermarket came up trumps but they aren't cheap.

Offline ammacopij72

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Cheers dude, ever have any issues with yellow to blue? have a had a few comments that i'll end up with green?

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 09:37 AM »
I've done yellow to black and red to black. Only ever done yellow to blue with Oakley grips.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 02:44 PM »
I've done yellow to black and red to black. Only ever done yellow to blue with Oakley grips.

Cool, I done the same also, dyed Yellow B2's to Blue no problem.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 11:25 PM »
The key thing with the seat will be if it is Nylon. If it's not you may struggle to get the dye to take at all or end up with some hybrid wierd colour.

Kashis, Elinas, Shotguns have all been done very successfully and to be honest the process will usually even work with cold water but go for the hot pot as it will help and just stick it on a camping stove keeping it warming over throughout the process. There's guides on here if you look in the tech and resto stickies.

As for the pan to stick it in I got the 15.2L one of these : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360970532712

And I just got a cheap Amazon camping stove like this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Gastro-Camping-Temperature-Ignition/dp/B00A162ELQ

Good luck and have fun  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  dying seat with Dylon?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx