gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 08:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New School Sealed BB
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New School Sealed BB  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
New School Sealed BB
« on: March 26, 2022, 07:49 AM »
Hey guys, looking to start a build on a 2012 are-issue USA condor that I've had for a while. Having an issue with a set of primo powerbites cranks I have. The BB that came with the set are too big. Can any one tell me what BB I need to get and whether the spindle I have will work? Sorry for the stupid question but I am more used to working with the older 1pc cranks!!  :) Any help would be appreciated. Pics for reference.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: New School Sealed BB
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 12:09 AM »
The BB is not too big.

Powerbites have a 22mm axle. The bearings say 22 on them, meaning they are 22mm.

There are a few sizes of BB. I will run you through them.

19mm. Usually solid axle cranks. 8 spline and more high end 48 spline. These are being phased out now, because to make them hollow makes them too weak for street riding, and thus the axle is forking heavy. Even in cro mo. TI axles are not great for 19mm because of the tiny splines.

22mm. A few companies used this BITD. Primo was one, but it was mainly FSA. It wasn't common then, but it is gaining a bigger following now. Mostly because with the larger axle you can make it hollow (and thus much lighter) without compromising strength. Most are 48 spline again, and not like Primo. Primo did a "hollow bite" axle like yours but it was hollow and much lighter. I call it the V2, many others don't and prefer to call it by name.

24mm. Which actually isn't 24mm. It is 23.8, the same as many sprockets come in (you don't need a top hat at all). Best and most popular now, as they are always hollow and really light and strong.

IDK why you are saying the BB is too big. Do you mean because it is too wide? do you have spacers? from what you are showing me the bearings are not on the seat. What I mean is, the seat of the axle is the round central part. Not those squared looking ends. Those are smaller than 22mm, and will move around. You need the central axle in the bearings. Not those squared parts. Depending on the width of the BB? you will need spacers.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:11 AM »
Ohhhh hang on ! I can see it now !

Your frame has a mid BB. Your bearings are in American cups. (they are mid bearings)

You need to just smack the bearings out of those alu cups and press them directly into the frame dude.

Forum took a crap on me. This is what you need out of what you have.

The extra "width" is just an alu cup. You can see it better when the cup is black and the bearing has a green dust cap. Just smack them out from the back side.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:16 AM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:48 AM »
Ahhh i totally see it now as well!! Yeah thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm just not used to fitting 3pc cranks!! I will press the covers out and I am sure they will fit!

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 03:42 PM »
No worries dude that's what we are here for !

Make sure you put pics up when it's done :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New School Sealed BB

gfxgfx
gfx gfx