gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 11:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oink oink.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oink oink.  (Read 13566 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Oink oink.
« on: March 31, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Woo ! finally a pig after all this time searching. Frame came in today.

Absolutely mint. Parts ordered, starting with arrived.

Fly Bikes Media FL stem.

Vocal bolts. I have two sets.

16t cassette driver, red crank bolts (for the bash guard) and spacers for the bash guard. 22mm BB too for the Primos.

I was going to use my Tektro magnesium levers. Thing is they are V brake levers, so click and pop a bit on U brakes and don't pull great. Then I forgot I had these left over from my Morales, as I switched it to 1" levers.

Still waiting on this to arrive.

Cranks.

Spindle.

Fork. I am going to use the 14mm Super Fork I bought for the STA. I will get something else for that. I painted these satin, and was going to clear them. However, with the Pork being satin bronze I think it would be too shiny and look tacky. So I will fit the  decals to them later.

Headset came from my Quad Angle, is a FSA Pig (piggies in blankets lol)

Bars are ODY 4/4 with long necks. In fact, this is parts bike #2.

I will be taking - seat, gyro cables, bars, grips,chain, tyres and tubes and the Antix CTs. Oh and the sprocket, bash guard and gyro pad. Oh and the crank umbrella bolts.

I have a set of red tenderisers on my Kink I will be using.

These wheels.

Now the seat post and clamp were a bit of a sod. They are really odd balll sizes. Given this I had to order this post.

And for now this clamp.

More than good enough for now. For brakes? I have a Tektro U brake from the 90s and a new Promax U brake. Cables are SNAFU Astroglide and the gyro is a red SNAFU Mobeus.

Right, up to the loft to sort out more parts !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Oink oink.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 05:58 PM »
OK. Headset pressed, crown race fitted to fork, gyro fitted, stem fitted, top cap used to tension it up, bolted up etc. BB also fitted with bearings and sleeve.

Oh yeah, the bash and sprocket are built properly and should now clear the chain properly. I assembled the wheels, but the sprocket lock ring hasn't arrived yet, so only the front can be mounted at some point.

Only thing I want to do later is take off the grips, put the levers on and refit said grips.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:01 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 08:51 PM »
Looking good, started to admire those frames in the mid school tent at MK, well sexy.
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 09:41 PM »
Yeah always wanted one. It is really lovely, welding is amazing.

For some reason I don't like the grips. So I bought red S&M ones.  The chain too was total rubbish so I got a better one.

Oh and the brakes. Yeah that was strange. Back one went on OK. Fitted the front one (Tektro) and for some reason one arm was binding up. I tried in vain to figure it out, but no dice. So I grabbed one of my silver Springfields and that works fine *scratches head*.

Then my mother says "I don't like that it doesn't look right". Yeah, fookin cheers ma. So I bought a black Springfield too, as I have one on the back of the Quadangle. She is right though. Silver brakes tend to stick out a bit.

Problem is I hate paying for shipping, so I did what every one would do and spent ?100 to get free shipping  :idiot2:

That said I have had my Vans 10 years and they are battered. Even have blood stains on. So I got some Etnies.

Some shorts.

Chain

Bar ends

And the grips

All because my mum says the silver Springfield looks shite. Yeah, cheers Ma.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 01:43 PM »
Bikes are such a pain in the dick.

So the cranks came, noice. Went up in the loft to get some stuff. Got the black Springer, sweet. Grabbed a crap old stem and robbed the bolts for the crank arms. Found a sprocket bolt. It was all going too well.

Closed up the loft and put the ladder back in the spare room. Came down, got out the BB set.... No top hat  :angrysoapbox:

Went back up in the loft (drag the ladder out etc) and found one. Phew. Came down and started fitting cranks. Why are Primo spindles so fackin tight? so that  was a pain in the ass, but after about an hour I got there.

Sweet ! the lock ring came for the wheel. Went to fit it.... Too small  :angrysoapbox:

Ugh. I did fit the tyres though.

More measuring, ordering, waiting  :angrysoapbox:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Just something missing... Well, two things actually.

This still needs some text. Will sort that out later.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 04:21 PM »
OK so I wasted more time and got more pissed off. I did some studying about sizes, and this size is so rare that you can't get a lock nut for it.

There are three types. One is like, 1.29" 24 TPI. If you think of a flip flop hub? that's the small side. It's also the same thread as a Euro BB, so the lock nuts are interchangeable (the ring with the squares cut into it). However, that is why the one I bought doesn't fit. Having done some studying I found out that the one I have? is the same size as the larger freewheel. IE, 1.375" 24 TPI. I wasn't best pleased about gentlemans relishing another 6 quid, nor could I even find one. Like I said, they simply don't exist any more. The reason this wheel is missing one? is because the high end hub I bought for the Morales was missing the same lock nut. That hub deserved it more, as that was a fully sealed Gusset Tape Cassette. And is flipable LR etc and fully sealed.

Now at some point I must have been really bored, and discovered that 1.375 is the same as the larger side on a FF hub. IE, regular freewheel size.

Sick of waiting and getting skinned on shipping* I decided to just yam a fooking freewheel on it. It will never come off, but I don't GAF. The hub itself is unbranded and unsealed. Meaning it's not high end, and thus not worth anything. I just wanted it to work.

And so it now does.

Just waiting on the seat, clamp and front black springer.

*4 quid to ship what equates to a washer. IE, you are paying the Ebay seller fees on the item.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 04:27 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 04:49 PM »
Looks really nice.  Bet it will be great to ride👊🏻
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 05:08 PM »
It's really light. I was quite surprised. I was always told it was as heavy as a cro mo frame, but nah. Apparently it's 5.9lbs. My Morales is about 10 IIRC. The recent Hoffman Wade was about 8.

Hopefully I won't get any more crap delays. I want to ride it.

Deffo got lucky with the parts though. There is no way the rear end would have taken a bigger tyre. I don't even remember what I bought them for now.

I also don't think the gyro is going to work. The frame is much wider, and I suspect this is what the Gyro XL was for. Only, I can't find one for sale at all and I CBA spending even more money on that. Knarps may help it a little, but I have a feeling I will be riding it home on just a front brake.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 03:53 PM »

Seat clamp and post came. Didn't realise how long the post was. 450mm IIRC. Still it's done and any lower and I would not be able to get up so there's that.

HT decal is finished.

I was going to get my mate with the professional rig to print them for me, but he is in Paris with his wife. I ran out of ink last year (poxy carts that come with it are half bloody empty) and they are not cheap. They are ?40 each for HP XL carts and it uses four. I found some compatibles for ?40 for the set, so hopefully they will be good. I had to send a few parcels off over winter and man it sucks not having a printer. I ordered some 3M laminate tape.

So I can do them myself. Got one sheet of A3 gloss sticker stuff left, so that will have to do. Will be fine if no F ups  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 06:11 PM »

Seat clamp and post came. Didn't realise how long the post was. 450mm IIRC. Still it's done and any lower and I would not be able to get up so there's that.

HT decal is finished.

I was going to get my mate with the professional rig to print them for me, but he is in Paris with his wife. I ran out of ink last year (poxy carts that come with it are half bloody empty) and they are not cheap. They are ?40 each for HP XL carts and it uses four. I found some compatibles for ?40 for the set, so hopefully they will be good. I had to send a few parcels off over winter and man it sucks not having a printer. I ordered some 3M laminate tape.

So I can do them myself. Got one sheet of A3 gloss sticker stuff left, so that will have to do. Will be fine if no F ups  :LolLolLolLol:

Looks really nice. The Hoffman forks look great. Top job👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Had a day off yesterday. Well, I say day off, turned out to be knackering any way  :LolLolLolLol:

My friend came down from Watford. He's the guy with the machines who makes shit for me. He picked up the Morales crank parts, and I gave him the FBM for his boy. His boy was elated when he got home (total surprise, but had he told him he would have driven him crazy lmao).

Any way, took the Morales back to my place. So that meant lugging it up the bloody stairs. God that bugger is heavy. I should be able to finish that up soon thank god.

I took the top nut out to paint it after I had sanded it all smooth etc. Put down the etch primer OK and left it there to dry. Then it started to rain, and when I got down it had blown off the carboard and flipped over ffs. Thankfully it is fine. It must have dried enough, and the rain didn't bother it. Still though it's not painted black yet and more wind and rain today.

Good news is Custom Riders just shipped out all of the stuff I ordered, Fedex for tomorrow. So I should be able to complete this.

The laminating clear stuff for the decals arrived today and the ink shipped this morning. So hopefully by mid week this will be completely done.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 05:52 PM »
Hmm. Well after brain storming over the gyro I think I may have found something that  might work.

The problem I am having is the bottom tangs are not wide enough.

On the Fishbone the tangs are equal distances apart, IE much wider. They also both lock in the ball ends, as opposed to just floating there like normal detanglers.

Hopefully that will work, as it was only 15 quid, right colour and everything. I just painted the top nut too, so that's finished.

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Hmm. Well after brain storming over the gyro I think I may have found something that  might work.

The problem I am having is the bottom tangs are not wide enough.

On the Fishbone the tangs are equal distances apart, IE much wider. They also both lock in the ball ends, as opposed to just floating there like normal detanglers.

Hopefully that will work, as it was only 15 quid, right colour and everything. I just painted the top nut too, so that's finished.
The Rotor will look nice. 👊🏻

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Yeah. The SNAFU on there is red, but totally doesn't work. I have compared it to all of my other left over steel ones but the tangs are all inset like that. So none of those will work either. There is a Gyro XL on Ebay, but its like 45 quid.

Now I just hope I have a lower cable, as I cut up the bottom cable to fit the knarps and they sure as hell won't fit the XUFO.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Yup I needed a cable. Have ordered a red one.

I also spotted another issue. With a 10mm spacer the fork is not long enough. Everything fits but the steel top plate. I can't remember how thick XUFO are, but I am only going to be able to have 8mm in there. I had to order more spacers to get a 3mm one. I only have two 5MM or one 10MM atm.

Now whether that will leave enough room to pull the XUFO? I really don't know. It's annoying because with a 10mm spacer in there the stem covers the threads but gets full grip on the fork. So, another possible solution would be to fit a potts bolt through the top cap and a star nut in the fork. That way you can use the massive bolt as a top cap to pre load the stem, whilst still being able to use a 10mm spacer. All of those are options, but a pain.

The stuff came. Front brake is fitted but I can't hook that up until the gyro comes and I solve that issue. Another idea would be to tap the stem and fit gyro mounts to it. There is literally 2mm of thread left on the fork, and the gyro top plate is 2MM. So when you add it you get nada threads. I do have mounts and bolts as well as taps, so I won't rule that out.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 10:05 PM »

OK very busy day today with other projects. I got those, as well as -

Oh and that isn't my crappy carpet.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 05:29 PM »
JFC.

I have been working two projects. One you ride (this one) and one that can crack walls (this one)

Because I decided to veneer it with ebony it has been a real load of work. I can only do one face at once. I am now on the last one.

Each time you get to sand for an hour. That was pre sand (IE making the edges good). Any way, I have had to do that at night. Like after 10. The glue is absolutely minging (80s skinhead grade) and so I have to open up the double back doors and do it when mum is in bed. It really does stink, so I have to wear a mask.

As such I've been pissing with the bike all day, then doing that all night = knackered. I figured today I could have an easy day. "All" I had to do was print the decals.

What a ball ache. Firstly I bought compatible carts for 40 quid as the real ones are that each X5. Then it started this BS.

The solution is to go and order them from HP for 40 quid each. Yeah right fook off.

So after taking it out and putting it back in three times it finally detected. Then the other problems began. Firstly it was saying out of paper even though it was full. Two hours later I figure out that it simply isn't seeing the printer. Oddly enough when I installed those carts it updated the firmware. HP really are bastards. Eventually after another hour I figure out that it's not out of paper at all. It's simply not sending the work to the printer. I figured this out because at the printer itself I can print test pages, yet nothing I sent from Windows was getting there.

Eventually I got there. This is what I sent it.

I wasnt going to double down as it's the last sheet I have. However, good thing I did because this is what I actually got after over three hours.

Will let it dry then put on the laminate later.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 10:05 PM »
Poxy IBS flare up. I knew I was over doing it, but getting old sucks  :LolLolLolLol:

If your brain forgets how old you are the arse soon reminds you !

I got the decals cut out and laminated. Sadly I am still waiting on pretty much everything ffs. The white backing, the XUFO and anything else that would allow me to actually do something. That said my guts have had me in bed for two days, so it's probably a good thing.

The XUFO has tracking now, and I reckon it may arrive tomorrow. I did get the headset spacers but there's no point even unpacking them until the XUFO is here. It would only need to all be pulled apart again.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Ugh. It's like pulling teeth. The lower gyro cable came. Everything but what I bloody need.

Sigh. I checked the UFO tracking and it was only received yesterday, so I reckon it should arrive tomorrow. No sign of the white vinyl wrap either ffs.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2022, 03:53 PM »
Well it is as finished as it will get. The gyro still wasn't wide enough, so I had to bend the cables in. That seemed to sort it.

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Well it is as finished as it will get. The gyro still wasn't wide enough, so I had to bend the cables in. That seemed to sort it.

That's a cracking build👊🏻  Great attention to detail .

I enjoyed following this  build post 👍.

Steve.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2022, 05:59 PM »
It was for sure a "meet your heroes" bike.

I actually dropped it taking the pics, and now the pedal is scuffed to fudge and the seat also. *sigh*.

The less I touch this one the better tbh.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 02:12 PM »
Given I have built two of the heaviest mid school bikes ever made (and this is one of the lightest) I am now going on a mission to lighten it as much as I can. I just grabbed this. 2004 NOS Magnalite Ti hub.

It's LHD. So I got a LHD 11t driver.

And will be using this. Probably painted red? IDK.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2023, 11:15 PM »
Have just sat down and caught up with this over breakfast! :daumenhoch:

Not my era or style of bike but as always, a great read and a cracking build. :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oink oink.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx