gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 10:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SIFEM built Luis Ocana
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SIFEM built Luis Ocana  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
SIFEM built Luis Ocana
« on: May 08, 2022, 05:52 PM »
She arrived on Thursday, expertly packaged in good survivor condition with lovely og 80's chrome, no og decals but some nice parts. Over the weekend I have started to clean up some parts. I haven't looked the frame or forks over for any serial number or markings yet. The gusset has been painted to a satin black finish, I'll leave it on in case the chrome was keyed for painting.

Weinmann rims on Maillard hubs (83 & Helicomatic rear), the spacing is out on the rear and yet to clean. 
Wolber tyres, rotation arrow mounted the wrong way.
Shimano SX pedals with reflectors, very clean but over an hours work spot cleaning lots of tar off.
Dia-Compe Tech 3 levers (84), yet to clean.
MX clamp, quite tidy but yet to clean.   
Unmarked 1020 brakes with issues. To be swapped out.
Tioga Bear Trap bottom bracket, cleaned and ready to fit.
Very clean unmarked 165 opc and sprocket. Might be swapped out for something nicer.
Asco Pro Senior bars (28 inch), rubbed with 0000 wire wool and came out great.
Polygon crmo shafted stem, cleaned up well but might be swapped out for something nicer.
Unmarked headset with chewed up top nut, most likely will be swapped out.
Plastiche Cassano winners circle grips with semi blown out ends, cleaned up ok. Might be ditched.
Luis Ocana bar pad,  cleaned up pretty well. No proper foam so will need to sort that.
Iscaselle saddle, very narrow and yet to clean.
Unmarked lay back seat post, quite clean but might be swapped out.

I will add updates as they happen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 06:01 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: SIFEM built Luis Ocana
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 01:47 PM »
Now there's something you don't see every day! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 05:42 PM »
Last update, sadly I've had to abandon the build.  :(

With most parts cleaned ready for reassembly I discovered that the frame is twisted. I fitted the forks and noticed it wasn't sitting right on the floor. If both fork blades were on the floor the left rear dropout wasn't, and if both rear dropouts were on the floor the right fork blade wasn't. The forks are good but the frame is bad. It's twisted enough so there is a 1/4 inch difference between dropout heights when sitting on the bb shell. Looking from the rear the problem starts at the headstock and the seat tube is leaning to the left. There is no visible damage so it must just be a badly built frame. I think the rear wheel spacing was adjusted to compensate for the misalignment.

So the plan now is the nice blue Weinmann wheels, Wolber tyres and Asco bars will be used on my Bernard Dangre build. They will work really well on that bike. The other parts will be stored and used in the future. I can't bring myself to throw the frame away so it will sit alongside others waiting to be built and a few others that are trashed.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:44 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Gutting to hear Toby, as had potential to be  nice (and somewhat different) build to add to your little stable  :(. Still, got a few good parts out of it buddy. Deep breath, keep smiling, and on to the next...  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 11:21 PM »
Gutting to hear Toby, as had potential to be  nice (and somewhat different) build to add to your little stable  :(. Still, got a few good parts out of it buddy. Deep breath, keep smiling, and on to the next...  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Pete. It would have built up quite nicely but like you said, some nice parts and I reckon I've at least broken even. Onwards and upwards  :slayer:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 05:34 PM »
Shame that Toby, cool frame n forks too  :(
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 08:05 PM »
Yeah John it would have been a cool build  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 12:48 PM »
What a pita but that frame would still make a great wall-hanger! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SIFEM built Luis Ocana

gfxgfx
gfx gfx