gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975502 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 03:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Low end fun build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Low end fun build  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Low end fun build
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:20 PM »
I've made a start on this 88/89 MBK Competition build. It was bought as a complete bike for the Simplex mags, they were used on my Hustler Fred Blood a while back. I'm not going to be be too fussy about what's being used to finish her off. I have a few ideas though. I've got some 20x1.5 Femco's on 94 dated ACS hubs and a San Marco Supercorsa saddle on there way. I have some Michelin Naja's to use too. The rest is yet to be decided. She's not going to be a period correct build I reckon. Nothing fancy, just a bit of mismatched fun.

The pic is from the French eBay listing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:22 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Low end fun build
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:39 PM »
Simplex, the only mags I ever snapped. They are really brittle ! I was boasting away to my mates about how amazing they were, then we went to the building site and were jumping a drain trench (about 12ft deep). Caught my back wheel on the lip of it and *crack" literally snapped the back wheel in half.

Felt like a right plonker walking home  :LolLolLolLol:

MBK used to do some really groovy MTBs back in the day in awesome colours.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58 PM »
Ahhhh, playing on building sites, those were the days  :LolLolLolLol:
The only damage I've done through jumping is cracking the headstock on my Rockhopper years back. Common on them I think. I took it to the local bike shop and they got me a replacement of the then current model frame. It was more like the Stumpjumper that was available when I bought the Rockhopper. A nice gloss black and not the Matt black my original frame was. Ive still got it too. 

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:31 PM »
Proper late 80's vibes with those decals there Toby. You say nothing fancy or period correct, but if we know you once you start stripping and cleaning you'll get on-it and be hunting every little bit to get it just right  :LolLolLolLol:. It's a disease  :daumenhoch:

Enjoy my friend, looking forward to seeing the progress.  :popcorn:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 10:24 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

How did you know Pete ??? Yeah, I like the graphics on the grey paint but it's only a 3 tube crmo frame. Not seen another though, so I don't know how much was og. The ACS 860's I'm guessing not, but the rest looks right for a MBK. I was going to try to use up some parts laying around. I'm trying to resist buying, talking myself out of going to a 3 piece crank because that means buying pedals and probably a bb. Got a nos Tioga but that is staying in the box for now. Do I go decent older parts or take my cue from the newer wheels and run with that, or mix it up as planned ??? Let's see how this one evolves  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 11:01 PM »
I'd probably stick with the opc and that disc chain ring cleaned up, just look for some different pedals. Not sure what though, white SX's or something  :-\.

Wheel wise not sure, try the spokes and  see how you feel I guess.

But then I clocked that stem, what's going on with that?  :shocked:. Looks like a mix between being wrapped in a nappy or embedded in injected foam or something  :-X.

In general, mix it up as you see fit my friend, think it will tolerate that kind of approach.  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 11:01 PM »
This one has stalled a bit but some progress has been made a while back.

Pete, yeah the stem protection is kind of odd I guess but kind of cool too. It's just a bog standard 4 bolt MBK jobby with a hard rubbery jacket. I see you point though. The wheels look great on but the 1.75 tyres aren't seating on the 1.5 rims properly. I have tried all sorts of tricks but no joy. I really want to use the tyres though, they are nos 88-89 Michelin Naja in green with amber walls. I reckon they look great so will persevere with seating them properly. The San Marco Supercorsa arrived but I might go with the og generic one in white. The Supercorsa is green and is really nice but it depends on what colour brakes I go with. I've talked myself out of using some nice white DC 901's in white with tech 4 levers. Too nice perhaps  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:03 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 09:24 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

I know what you mean about seating tyres. I never used to struggle with that, then I mounted those Panaracers to my zed's. Man took about 5 attempts, on, off, push in one side, pop out the other, twist them, flip them ,etc. Pump the right up, half deflate them, etc. etc. Nearly gave up so many times. But in the end perseverance won out. Keep going my friend, be worth it in the end  :daumenhoch:.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Me too. The stem rubber is a good idea tbh. Stem pads were a massive pain in the arse, never fitted properly and would get on your tits until you removed it.

I would imagine France had different H&S to us back then too.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 11:53 PM »
I had another go at seating the tyres properly earlier, red raw hands and no joy. So the decision was made to pop off the Naja's and fit a pair of Ammaco comp III's I've had knocking around for a few years now. They were rejected from my Blue Max build and have been on various wheel sets to protect them whilst being stored. The Ammaco's, although not a great tyre actually look OK on this build, and may suit it better than the green Naja's. This now probably means that the green Supercorsa won't be used and I'll go with the og saddle and grips. I can now stop looking at those green 1/2 DX pedals on eBay too, they are too pricey anyway !

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 09:28 PM »
This was dug out of the frame graveyard after my Luis Ocana build went tits up. The stem and bars were fitted this afternoon and the pad set is on too.

Hopefully on the way is a Tioga Max Flo spider and CD chainring both in white. They will be used with an unstamped Sugino opc and the Tioga Bear trap bb and SX pedals from the Ocana. Some new A'me Tri's in white are on the way too. I have a tidy 80's Selle Turbo in white that might find its way on the build.

The wheels earmarked for this build were used on my Crusty Rat build. I have some light blue Tuff II's that might work though. We'll see when it starts taking shape. 

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 08:35 PM »
I have just bought this budget seat clamp for the build. After seeing Steve's gorgeous Vincent Air Zone with its mix of colours I decided to go down the same route on this build. I think the grey frame, fork and bars will pull all the colours together nicely.

Those bloody green Naja's I have will not seat properly on any wheels I have tried them on. I'm trying to wrestle them on the tuff II's mentioned previously. They are not having any of it.
 :tickedoff: :2gunsfiring_v1:

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 09:07 PM »
I have just bought this budget seat clamp for the build. After seeing Steve's gorgeous Vincent Air Zone with its mix of colours I decided to go down the same route on this build. I think the grey frame, fork and bars will pull all the colours together nicely.

Those bloody green Naja's I have will not seat properly on any wheels I have tried them on. I'm trying to wrestle them on the tuff II's mentioned previously. They are not having any of it.
 :tickedoff: :2gunsfiring_v1:
yes👊🏻👊🏻Looking forward to this build.
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 11:38 PM »
Yup, proper 80s flouro with a bit of lavender

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 07:13 PM »
 This bike is fighting me already. I now cannot use the lovely Tioga Bear trap bottom bracket, the opc doesn't have enough threads to accommodate the Bear trap washer and lock nut. I do not have any bottom brackets in the cave so I will have to buy one. Bloody typical of my luck lately.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 05:32 PM »
This bike is fighting me already

I hate those kind of builds - fooking annoying haha !  :2gunsfiring_v1: :LolLolLolLol:

Have fun with it Toby :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 12:02 AM »
The pork was like that. Meeting heroes *again*. God what a slag to build that was.

Keep pushing dude. If at first you don't succeed kick it in the nuts.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 08:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get the better of it eventually  fistblump

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 11:22 PM »
Some progress has been made  :daumenhoch: Bottom bracket, spider and chainring, crank, pedals,seat clamp and post all fitted after work today. New tyres on order to be collected on Monday. It's coming together Lads.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Keep it coming fella  :daumenhoch:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2022, 05:00 PM »
I got let down on the tyres so I went elsewhere and saved a fiver  fistblump The tyres were waiting for me after my early finish today. They are faded in a few places but they are now fitted. I dug out the ACS 860's that came with this bike and mocked them up. The saddle has been swapped out and had a colour change too.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Gonna have to slap some dice on this baby  :LolLolLolLol:

Ordered  :slayer:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 09:38 PM »
Cover the tyre's in wd40 to bring the colour up but don't ride it til its dryed in for a few hours and wiped off! or you'll be kissing the tarmac  ;)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 07:55 PM »
She's all finished now, here's a few pics  fistblump

I need to decide where to put her, race or freestyle ? I think she was originally race and had a few freestyle touches added to her and that's what I maintained in my build.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:37 PM by Chilli Rinse »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Low end fun build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx