gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 12:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The last restoration from me. The Pink Schwinn.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The last restoration from me. The Pink Schwinn.  (Read 19145 times)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: The last restoration from me. The Pink Schwinn.
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Not somethimng I would build to be honest but thats a credit to you fella  :daumenhoch: attention to detail and fare play she does look sweet especially the Lady decal lol  ;)  and love that colour named 'Bazooka Joe' brings back childhood memories that chewing gum  :daumenhoch:  Like I said not something I'd build as I'm totally old school but deffo worth a read and a comment of just how nice your build is  :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2022, 12:19 PM »
Cheers dude. Yeah it's mid school tbh. Totally get it because I'm not an old school fan but do like a good build.

My lever Johnnies came today. Might sneak them on before I leave.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2022, 04:03 PM »
Wanted a new stem. Not because I don't like it, but more the colour. I think a polished or chrome stem would look so much better. Problem is finding them. Almost impossible. Profile still make them but no one stocks them. Which led me to thinking (as they are for Jr race BMX) that Stay Strong also did them. Sure enough, they were on SS site. For 70 quid.

It isn't that I am opposed to spending money on the build, but more that I don't want to be stupid. So I searched Ebay, and lo and behold....

New, bought in error (probably thinking it was 1-1/8) and then by the look of it left in the sun for a bit  :LolLolLolLol:

25 boys. Next up, oven cleaner and a good polish. I am not going to polish the whole inlay part with the logo on. That will look like the rear brake.

Edit. I know what you are probably thinking. "Why not strip and polish the stem you have?". Easy, because it is cast. It isn't ano, meaning it is cast. Cast alu does not polish, it looks marbled. No matter how much rubbing you do it won't shine  :LolLolLolLol:

The SS is CNC. I have a feeling that Profile may even make them for Stephen,  but no idea.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:04 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Oh yeah, almost forgot these bloody things  :LolLolLolLol:

Just went down and picked them up.

Didn't even realise they were fully sealed.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2022, 07:29 PM »
There is one thing I forgot to do. All the time I have been collecting bikes and building them I promised myself, one day, I would get some Gsport wheels.

Turns out the right time is now.

Been looking around, but you either can't get any ATM or they are toothpaste coloured or etc. Nothing in black at all, and those I did find were being gouged at around 120 quid a rim. Not paying that.

Couple of days ago I searched again and found these.

One is a Ribcage, the other a Rollcage. I mulled it over at the price he wanted and thought I would come back to them. Decided today to throw over a cheeky offer IMO, as he bought the wheels new and then paid to have them powdered. He accepted.

Obviously the decals I can make myself out of 3M vinyl (it is so much better than the other generic shite). The hubs though. Yeah, I won't lie that worried the fudge out of me. I know from before that finding 36h freewheel sealed hubs is bloody HARD. I know this from when I built my GT. I must have just spent over two hours scouring, but IDK what the hell has happened to Ebay's search engine but just typing BMX hub doesn't seem to bring up anything. In the end I was digging through a seller's stuff and this popped up.

36h. Uh huh, what I needed. 14mm. Uh huh,. what I needed. Sealed. Uh huh.... BOUGHT. NOS, 20 quid.

Debating what to do for the front. Though the world is literally my oyster on that. IDK if I will build these myself or cave and take them to a LBS. We'll see. The Gusset have an appointment with a lovely Dirt Bike NG.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2022, 02:41 PM »
Right. After a four hour battle that's the hubs sorted.  :LolLolLolLol:

So I found a hub I wanted on Source, in the sale. Cool ! It is a Madera Pilot. Basically? it's a Profile hub, at well under half the price of a Profile hub. 47.99 on clearance. It says "When you order you can select the bolts you desire". OK cool, I want the volcano bolts.

Basically because they are the prettiest, and not the ugly heavier ones you use if using pegs. For that you use the button or hex. Given my peg mounts to the fork though yeah, I wanted the nice polished ones. So you go to the cart and it then brings up a list. It says -20.63 or whatever they cost, yet when you add them it charges you for them. I then began an hour long head ramming session trying to get them added without it charging me, no dice. OK sod it, I will call Source. Two hours it was engaged. It was then I realised I had put an extra digit in the phone number  :LolLolLolLol:

Two more calls to the actual number and it is all sorted. I also asked him to speak to the tech guy and get the spoke length for that hub going into a Rollcage (The ribcage is stronger and will go on the back). Wicked.

Then I realised they dropped their free shipping price from 99 quid to 50. So I got some socks for 6 quid, meaning the socks cost me 2 quid.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2022, 08:29 PM »
OK spokes ordered for the front. Will need to measure up the back.

Not going to use crap on this. Will get the same for the rear.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2022, 02:29 PM »

Rims are gorgeous.

Just literally cutting the logos now.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Rollcage.

Ribcage.

Mungo like candy...

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2022, 06:45 PM »
It's actually the wrong way around ! Did some final checking and the Rollcage is the one with the pressed line in the centre. The Ribcage is much thicker there.

Any way, time for a caustic stew.

Started off giving it a Gunk bath. Didn't want it to come off patchy.

Then it was time for a bit of King.  "That's, what my heart, yearns for now!"

Bubbles !

Then then cum.

Give it a good stir.

And done.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2022, 03:24 PM »

I built the front. It was out of true, and the more I tried to true it the more I made it worse  :LolLolLolLol:

I then loosened off some spokes to try again and now the dish is pissed. Given how hot it is (too fooking hot) I really am not in the mood to do any more.  I just phoned the LBS, and once I have the rear assembled they are going in to get done properly. I don't usually ride bikes I restore but this one I want to ride the shit out of, so I want it right.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2022, 04:47 PM »
OK so usually this would be done by now. Problem is heat. As I type this it is 34c. So around 90. I have no air conditioning, just a fan blowing hot air over me. It has been like this now for four days, and tbh it is starting to get to me. Thankfully (apparently) it is going to cool down tomorrow, so there's that. In the mean time? everything is 10 times harder. Like lacing a wheel? the spokes keep slipping out of my fingers and I keep dropping stuff. When doing the front wheel I got two nipples stuck in the rim and it took about an hour to get them out. Thankfully I didn't do that lacing the rear, but I still tapped out long before the spokes were even reasonably tight.

Still it is done. I will leave the rest up to a LBS, when I can find one who answer their phone. If worst comes to the worst I will have to drag myself to Chichester, which is a mad trot. And in this heat I just CBA. At all.

That is why I haven't had the front end apart and fitted the new stem either. It's barely manageable by just sitting still, let alone busting out tools.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2022, 02:27 AM »
Hang in there mate! Stem looks great btw. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2022, 03:24 PM »
Got some wrenching done last night. I tried to edit down the pics in size but imgur is broken again. So some of these are edited down, some not.

Pedals went on OK.

As did the stem. I got to use my machined nut, and had to use two other spacers too. They are 1-1/8, but I did it up nice and tight so it should be fine now.

Couple of decals.

And then I wrapped it up.

The lever covers are way too long for the modern levers, so need trimming. And I could not find my knife and by that time I was dripping in sweat again. Will look into that later.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2022, 06:02 PM »
I fitted the lever johnnies a couple of nights ago. Had to cut them quite a bit, but they look nice. Will get some pics later.

I did find a shop who could sort the wheels out, but it is miles away. About a 2 mile walk from my flat, then of course I have to walk back whilst carrying wheels. Not good, tbh I don't even think with my knees and ankles I can walk that far.

I have been trying in vain to get a hold of the one in Bognor, but they don't answer the phone and Google keeps randomly saying they are closed. I then found out there is one 170 metres from my mum's house  :LolLolLolLol: Never even knew it was there.

Sadly he is snowed under this week (bikes are popular now, especially here in the middle of nowhere) but had some spots for next week. I am going to bugger off home tomorrow, return next Weds and take them up Thurs. I can collect them on Friday, meaning I can build it and hopefully get it riding next weekend.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2022, 04:02 PM »
Lever rubbers done.

Had a bit of a bummer with the wheels, but it makes sense.

Dragged myself up the hill (it's bloody humid atm) and got to the shop. Took one look and told me they were laced wrong  :LolLolLolLol:

I had done some digging beforehand, and heard someone mutter something about how Gsport need to be started from the right of the valve hole. So yeah, they were both laced right but wrong ffs.

100 quid  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh well. They should be done at the weekend. Good thing I scored all the parts cheap really ffs.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2022, 11:49 PM »
Getting there! :coolsmiley:

Shame about the wheels but as you say, this bike is going to be ridden, so best get them done right, eh. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2022, 02:52 PM »

Shame about the wheels but as you say, this bike is going to be ridden, so best get them done right, eh. :daumenhoch:

Yeah TBH I knew from the struggle I had getting the crossed spoke in that something totally wasn't right. Apparently two spokes snapped when he took them apart too (this also didn't surprise me given the horrid noise they were making  :LolLolLolLol: ) so I got lucky.

He turned up a couple of hours back. Delivered them like. Said 80, which was amazing, but bunged him another tenner.

Since last pics I have cut the grips at the lever end. Just took off the maroon collar so the levers come up properly and have max pull. If they fall apart? so be it. Got my eye on some clear pink ones any way  :LolLolLolLol:

I have also put on the flexible noodle. Needed another cable tie, but fits into the socket on the arm properly (the bent one is stiff and doesn't go all the way in. I knew what would happen... I would pull it hard, it would pull itself in and I would have no brake. SLIC cable has been installed too.

Oh and the chain is on, obs. I will dial the feck out of the brakes later. I never do that during the day. It's a much better night pursuit  :LolLolLolLol:

Levers need tucking slightly.

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2022, 04:22 PM »

Yeah TBH I knew from the struggle I had getting the crossed spoke in that something totally wasn't right. Apparently two spokes snapped when he took them apart too (this also didn't surprise me given the horrid noise they were making  :LolLolLolLol: ) so I got lucky.

He turned up a couple of hours back. Delivered them like. Said 80, which was amazing, but bunged him another tenner.

Since last pics I have cut the grips at the lever end. Just took off the maroon collar so the levers come up properly and have max pull. If they fall apart? so be it. Got my eye on some clear pink ones any way  :LolLolLolLol:

I have also put on the flexible noodle. Needed another cable tie, but fits into the socket on the arm properly (the bent one is stiff and doesn't go all the way in. I knew what would happen... I would pull it hard, it would pull itself in and I would have no brake. SLIC cable has been installed too.

Oh and the chain is on, obs. I will dial the feck out of the brakes later. I never do that during the day. It's a much better night pursuit  :LolLolLolLol:

Levers need tucking slightly.

GREAT RESTO👊🏻👊🏻 Also really enjoyed the build thread.
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Thanks dude. A pleasure as always.

Just dialled the brakes. Need my beef allen sockets to to the front wheel up tight, then it's just airing the tyres up to hard and ride !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The last restoration from me. The Pink Schwinn.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx