gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 01:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The original Trail Boss.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The original Trail Boss.  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: The original Trail Boss.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2023, 02:35 PM »
Sunday sesh.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2023, 07:05 PM »
Right. So whilst I was at it I cut a load more. I need two more SBC for the frame, and two 63 for the frame also. That was about all I had enough left for, given this was a free find.

I made three of each in case I mess up like I did with the fork  :LolLolLolLol:

Just the main Trail Boss ones to cut and pick now, which can't happen until I get the rest of the vinyl. I was also a bit paranoid about the chain maybe hitting the brake. I mean, it looked like it was fine as the bosses are welded on super low down, but yeah that nagging thought. That said, imagine coming build time, and then finding out, and then taking chunks out of the new paint job smashing the cranks back on etc. So, I whacked a bearing in the frame and fitted an old crank spindle. I then put a 28t sprocket on there from the parts bin, and fitted a chain on it. Seems absolutely fine. I know I had a 28t on my Quad angle once, and it too has the lugs in the same place and it worked fine.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 01:38 PM »
OK so today I am mostly taking a break. I was up in the loft for about 9 hours yesterday. Mostly tinkering but also doing tons of other stuff. I have to get two bikes down soon, so I needed to finish up all of the projects in the way. Did all of that. I managed to fit the drive train on the Fatboy backward, FFS. I wouldn't normally go into that here, but it does have some relevance to the Trail Boss. Basically the FB had drive train issues. The chain ring was fat thin and etc etc. I covered that elsewhere. Well, I found a red crank set I forgot I had, and I did not want to mess with the BB as it is euro on a converter. So I put those on it. Any way, I found a gold Shadow Interlock non supreme I bought years ago, and I had the foresight to put the part I removed back on it. Which was awesome, 40 quid chain, saves me buying another.

Well you can see what I have done. Like I said, drive train on backward. Fookin idiot. Any way, this is why it has relevance. Those Shadow chains are a proper twunt to install. They are the hardest chains I have ever had to install, literally. Not because it is hard to do (it is) but because the metal on them is like granite. So, they will haveten destroy a chain tool (it will snap) leaving you screwed. And, the Interlock Supreme I am going to install on the Trail Boss will be ten times worse. I know this because I broke a 30 quid United tool doing the chain on the Barcode (which is a supreme). The tool I have now was 6 quid. I almost broke it putting the chain on the fatboy, and I know I will break it if I try and remove it again with that tool. And I have to, because right now you pedal and go nowhere lol. So, I begrudgingly got this.

And three replacement pins.

I also cocked up YET AGAIN on the headset. Need an external, easy right get a Tange Tank? nope. One thing I overlooked was the fact the Tange is not sealed. And the fact the fork has an int crown race made to work only with sealed bearings. So whilst the top cup and all of the compression stuff WILL work, the lower cup will not. So, I had to bite the bullet and buy ANOTHER headset.

That is the third one now. It cost 9 quid. What I am going to do is polish the bottom cup, and fit that. Then use the whole top end of the tank.

I also got this for the head badge, as I don't want it going anywhere.

And this, because mine finally broke for good recently.

I broke one of the handles doing things with it that it shouldn't do, and the bearings all fell out very recently making it horrible to use.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 04:54 PM »
OK so I can use the Tank.

It arrived today, so I had a look.

The only issue I had was that the bearing cover (the black thing there) falls off. This is because the integrated crown race on the fork does not poke out. So, I had to be creative. "How do I reduce it down and stop it slipping off?" cue the Sunday headset. All I had to do was remove a dust cover out of the bearing.

Which fitted perfectly inside the Tank dust cover, but most importantly makes this happen.

Sorted then.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2023, 01:31 PM »
Mail day.

Yesterday evening I took the frame out and began sanding. The wind was horrible. I only missed a tiny bit, so I will sort that later.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2023, 04:09 PM »
Round one.

Few drips, and overspray is terrible as always. Nothing that can't be easily fixed, though. I will wet sand it out tomorrow then put down the second coat.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2023, 05:36 PM »
So the weather is lovely, and the coat I put down was deliberately thin. As such a few hours later I could work on it. Took off the over spray with a brillo and some P1200, then removed the drips with some P1000.

Thankfully that might be enough for there only to be one more round of wet blue filth. And then I can start laying clear.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 08:03 PM »
OK so one more small thing done. The top cap on the fork I got is yet another one of those really annoying stupid ideas manus have to put their logo on it. A logo that will never EVER end up straight and will look stupid.

I found the S&M one I got for the S&M build I did last year. I couldn't use it because Demolitions is bigger. So I stripped it. Now note, I did not strip it all because there was no point. It is just more to oxidise and you don't see it.

Better.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2023, 03:30 PM »
OK. So after wanking the smurfs last night twice, and then wanking them again today the frame is in clear. First coat obs, so one more to go hopefully but if not two.

Shineh. Really, really shineh.

I then measured the frame up for PPF. These are not all of them, as the film is only a certain width.

And cut.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Well after all of that work it doesn't need any more. Nice.

It's like glass.

The black 3M should come today, but not until around 7pm. Hermes are on a weirdo. Still, it needs to harden properly before I go anywhere near it. Did the bars yesterday.

The 4 bolts are Ti left over from the Pork.

Last group photo before it all ends up on the bike.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2023, 09:55 PM »
Well stupid Hermes showed up at 8pm. WTF?

Any way, I finally got to cut and peel the last of the decals I need.

Other things. The clear coat was not fully hardened this morning. Mostly because I put that shit on thick. By around 6pm the front end was hardened up nice, but not the rest. Now usually the whole thing would be built, but again, you don't do dumb shit when building a Standard. I will start tackling that tomorrow. The PPF has all be separated, and is ready. That will go down first. Only then will I fit the decals.

Also, this will be the last time I paint anything. At the beginning of spring mum had fake grass put down. I ain't gonna lie, it is the best thing she has ever done. Problem being it makes it a total dick to paint out there. I can't just dump the stand on it and make a big old mess like I was used to. Which means that through all 5 stages of paint I had to cover up all of the concrete. Which has half killed me. So, today I broke down the stand and lobbed it in the recycling bin for metal and card. That's it, after 5 years I am hanging up my 3M face mask.

Whether I will do any more? I would say yes. However, I won't be half killing myself any more. My recent health scare has made me realise it is not worth it. If I ever do find anything worth doing I will either buy a minter or, send it away for powder, even though I don't really like powder.

It's time to start winding down a little :)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2023, 07:50 PM »
Right, sticker party. Time to cover it all in finger prints  :LolLolLolLol:

Due to the chain running quite close to the brake I decided on some CTs. Nice and cheap.

So basically that is the only thing stopping it from being finished.

Can't wait to ride it now. Watch, it'll piss with rain as soon as they show up ffs.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 08:08 PM »
Right, sticker party. Time to cover it all in finger prints  :LolLolLolLol:

That cobra looks the biz, nice touch.

This is going to be sweet  explosion
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 08:14 PM »
Yeah it's absolutely beautiful tbh. So glad I behaved and kept it all black and chrome. Not my usual, that is for sure.

The headset is not working properly. Once you tension it up the bottom end gets awful stiff. I think the race is pushing on the bearings too much, due to having no curve. So once the sealed one comes I will remove the bottom part only, polish up the one I bought sealed and fit the bottom cup.

I really can't wait to stand it side by side with my S&M NBD. It is like all of my mid school dreams coming true  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2023, 05:57 PM »
The bike that just keeps fighting. I really didn't think I would have any problems with this tbh, being pretty modern. I could not have been more wrong.

The headset, as I say, doesn't work. That is a pretty easy fix, but it pissed me off immensely. The BB also fought me too, as the spacer was far too wide. So there isn't one in there. I don't really give a crap about that, as the BB is machined. Meaning the bearings can't move, and it would only be them that die. Bearings are easy to get, I have a bugger load.

Today the chain tensioners arrived. Wicked. NOT. As soon as I picked up the wheel I realised it would not work. I mean literally, that wheel I paid ?180 for was not going to work. It turns out that yes, it does use 10mm bolts. However, when Ronnie designed it he left 5mm of 14mm smooth axle poking out the ends. So it will only work on a 14mm frame. You couldn't fooking make this up tbh. So, I removed the axle and started making plans to have it reduced down to where it needs to be, and really should be TBH. There was absolutely and utterly no reason upon this earth why Ronnie could not have done it the same as Sunday, and Odyssey and every one else that used to make axles like that. So out it came, after a fight. Obviously I don't know how it comes apart you have to work that out as you go.

Turns out it was 120mm. It needed to be 110mm. So mark it up and prepare to send to my mate and wait potentially months for it to return.

At which point I came to the conclusion that it would take ages, and I would have to leave it as it was. So, I got out the belt file. It took ages, and wasn't fun at all.

The good news? it worked ! and the wheel went in no problems. The bad news? where do I start. The chain hits the brake. I don't understand this as I ran 28-9 on my Quadangle no problem. So, I can only blame the brake. "That is OK, I have a Mission brake in the loft I can steal the tensioner and bolt from, they are super low profile" - Only, and again you could not fooking make this up, I gave that very brake to a guy not two hours before when he came to take the S&M. FFS.

Dug in the bolt bin for ages, found a lower profile bolt. It worked ! or at least the chain no longer hits the bolt. No, now it hits the fooking arm at the back.

So after all of that? I can't ride it. I have figured out a fix of course, as I always do. Problem is it involves removing the whole brake for about the hundredth time, and taking about 3mm of meat from the back of the arm. And I just don't have that left in me right now, I am absolutely exhausted.

Who would have thought it would have been such a pain in the dick?

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2023, 09:48 PM »
OK so the headset is done. Perfect now, too. I just used the lower sealed cup and kept the top assembly.

I have removed, degreased and marked up the brake caliper for tomorrow, when this arrives.

By hook or by crook I am fooking riding this bastard.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2023, 11:33 AM »
Keep at it mate, it's going to look great when finally done! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2023, 05:15 PM »
It is finished. I just haven't had any time since doing so lol.

The fix.

By this time I had no energy left in me to paint it. So, I put some wrap on it.

I then took pics. Now by this time it was smothered in greasy dirty finger prints, but again I was just so tired I could not be bothered to clean it all up yet.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2023, 11:24 PM »
Nice one! That blue looks great in the Sussex sunshine! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2023, 06:46 PM »
Aye she needs a good clean and polish because of all of the finger prints but now that I've had a chance to calm down a bit I'm very happy.

I think the TT may even be longer than 21. Need to measure it but it's very roomy. The wind is ridiculous atm but as soon as it drops I'm riding it.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2023, 07:26 PM »
Yet another awesome build and you turned it around fast. Kudos my man  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2023, 02:00 PM »
Yeah I tell you what I can tell I am another year older. That shit nearly killed me ffs. When mum started moaning one morning about me being there so long I hit back with "Oi, I've only been here for 5 days !" and then it sunk in how fast I had gone from a green frame to that bike. Madness tbh.

I was proper caned when I got home. Still, that is what is for rest lol. Only I didn't rest, as I had a ton of things to do. I am still taking my old bed parts down to the dumpsters ffs.

Right, I am in the process of making a video on this, so hopefully by later that will be done.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The original Trail Boss.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx