gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 01:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GT Pro Performer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1985 GT Pro Performer  (Read 2363 times)

sonnycalzoom

1985 GT Pro Performer
« on: September 16, 2005, 05:38 AM »
Man, can any one help. I am struggling to get the the crank of my recently discovered GT - US f&f made 1985 - cheers Stodgy (nice pics lad! - did you originally sell yours to go raving - i generally found by Jan 1990 I had sold prety much everything-still we changed the world) Pro Performer. Last time a fiddled with abmx i was 15. lads how the sweet jesus do remove a 1 piece crank from that bottom brackey
ps, I have x1 adjustable spanner (cost f--ing 13 quid - heavy mind! still Vaz  in Lewishan will blast frame and re=powder in banana for 40ts) Any one want to swap white tuff2's for black let me know. And another thing how do you get the cups of the bottom headset and top fork -Help.
C.
my only defence for the above and all bmx stuff was in the 80's i was skint and they cost loads - still my first bird had team raleigh pro-burnner and her brother had Dead Kennedys albums. If anyone wants to rip Brixton skate park apart in old school colors, bring them bikes for a proper inner city thing- i will photograph and film for max exposure - who knows where it could go

theRuler

Re: 1985 GT Pro Performer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:07 AM »
hey sonny
welcome radbmx. you'll find answers to everything here!

the bottom bracket - don't forget its a reverse thread deal.

remove the cups with a hammer, and whatever you can use between the hammer and the cup (long screwdriver? bit of metal?)
they will come.

post some "before" pics of that GT!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Hey Sonny - finally got ya posting eh?! Good man!

Welcome to the site!

The Ruler is right...remember that the BB is reverse (go against the direction of pedal travel). Spray plenty of WD40 into the thread first and let it work in, then loosen with ya big 13 quid spanner!

Just a question... how did ya man blast and spray the frame with the BB and headset it?!  ;)

Have fun dude, hope you get it working. Oh, and let's see those pictures!

:)

greentoad

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:57 AM »
Hiya

I always find it best to wash down all components and then you can see what you have.

Then to make sure no damge occurs I use a 1/2" by 1/2" by 12" long piece of wood with one end cut at about 30 degrees. I then just put the wood inside bb and head and tap lightly first, going around at 3, 6, 9, 12 like a clock, this way no damage happens and you don't end up abusing tools.

Simple but effective.

Hope this helps  ;)

greentoad

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 10:27 AM »
man a big hammer and SMASH IT  ;).
dave the bmxing gypo

holeshotter

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 07:51 PM »
No tools needed. Lie down  naked with the bottom bracket over your groin area then look at stodgy's avator. It that don't knock them cups out then it's a doctor you need not a hammer. ;)

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 07:56 PM »
lol
krs is on point there

holeshotter

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 07:59 PM »
'The J The I the M the M the Y the J the I the M it's Jimmy'

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 08:03 PM »
lol here we go again

it grows and grows and grows, so let it . . . .

Jazzchimp

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Yep, left handed thread - cought me out aswell. Is it a 30 or 32 mm spanner can't remember???

I bet all you've been doing is tightening it!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 08:15 PM »
No tools needed. Lie down  naked with the bottom bracket over your groin area then look at stodgy's avator. It that don't knock them cups out then it's a doctor you need not a hammer. ;)

Hey Holeshotter...here she is one more time...is that BB out yet?!  ;)

holeshotter

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 12:13 AM »
Yea  4 real no problem apart from a whole in the ceiling ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GT Pro Performer

gfxgfx
gfx gfx