gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 02:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  paint removal?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: paint removal?  (Read 2787 times)

motomagII

paint removal?
« on: September 16, 2005, 04:21 PM »
i got pair tracer 3 piece crank arms and want to get rid of the colour on them and polish them alloy is it paint stripper or caustic time anyone know before i try and make a mess/paint or anodidsing please .thanks

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: paint removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 04:25 PM »
If they are painted then use nitromors, if they are anodised then use caustic soda.

If you are not sure which then put on a dab of nitromors and if nothing happens (ie the paint does not blister) then they are anodised.

daz bmx it!

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 11:39 PM »
As stidds says,but watch the C/soda as if you leave it to long it'll eat the cranks! ;)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16 AM »
how long is to long.i've got some skyway pedal cages i wont to get the gold anodising off.dont wont to knacker them.took me ages to find em  ???.
dave the bmxing gypo

The-flying-banana

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 12:46 AM »
Less than a minute dave watch like a hawk i just did £50 worth of odeysey calipers and they turned out ggggggggrreeaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttt 8)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 01:02 AM »
does it bubble or anything tom to let you know when there getting to it.also how did you polish them up. oli the orb said to use wire wool.
dave the bmxing gypo

The-flying-banana

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 01:09 AM »
Ok dave use a litre of cold water to a tea spoon of caustic attach part to a zip tie or summit so you can bring it out without burning your hand.

Drop it in then you will see it start to bubble "the water" and the water will change colour usually the colour your taking off leave it for around 45sec and pull it out.

If there still anodizing on it dont worry as it will come right off as soon as you touch it with wire wool then you will need brasso waddind also known as duraglit and polish away till your hearts contenet ;)

They say alloy is better than chrome as there's no limit to it shine but it does take a bid of elbow grease 8)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 01:12 AM »
cheers are tom.i'll try it tomorrow  :).
dave the bmxing gypo

The-flying-banana

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 01:15 AM »
Ps dave once you pull part out rinse well with clear water to get caustic off or it just keeps going  ;D

its like the terminator dave it will not STOP ;D

greentoad

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 07:47 AM »
Hi  ;)

You need to be careful of the fumes with caustic, plus your skin, plus your items.

If you have a painted item, Paramose is great stuff - http://www.paramose.com/ and has different products for different uses.

I've not used this but it's meant to be good - http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/Home-BaseB.htm

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16 AM »
here you go dave....stripped and polished...i always do mine with a bit of jewellers rouge for the final buff...on my lambswool wheel, slow though
before

after
haro, how do you do

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 11:22 AM »
BLING BLING our dave  8).
im off to b & q now  ;).
dave the bmxing gypo

theRuler

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 11:53 AM »
get some goggles if you are nitromorsing. or a full face visor thing.

i stripped the paint off my faze 7 frame yesterday, and little speck jumped up and hit me about 1cm below my eye.
it started to burn straight away. i was lucky, that time!

oh and get plenty rubber gloves. the mors munches them and melts them to your skin!!!

still, life without pain has no meaning, i guess!!

motomagII

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 12:10 PM »
right got the caustic as its anodising .next q is does it damage the plastic ends etc .?ie do i have to strip the pedals first .if so details or hints on how to do this please thansks

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 12:32 PM »
gregg...you want to strip em down matey...as you will need to regrease the bearings anyway

Dave
haro, how do you do

motomagII

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 02:44 PM »
well the cranks are stripped and ive tried polishing them .with not good results boy its hard to get any kind of finish anyone offering to polish them for me ?ive got 2 crank arms and spider chainring .stem top .thanks

ps tried the pedals with paint stripper it did nowt dipped them in caustic guess what happened ??nowt now im stumped with them too  >:( >:(

daffyduck

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 06:10 PM »
before polishing you have to buff with (grade 000) wire wool extra fine gear plus watch yer cloths with nitromoss as eats them too

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 08:44 PM »
email me at stidds@blueyonder.co.uk with some pictures of the parts you want polished and I will let you know if I can do them for you.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  paint removal?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx