gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975498 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 04:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuff II resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tuff II resto  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Tuff II resto
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:02 AM »
I have a pair of white Tuff II's (around 82/83 metal rear hub , plastic front) which I may restore. What bits would i need ie bearings , axles etc .

Are these bits easy to find & does anyone on here have the bits ?.

Matt

P.S. Also there was a thread on the old site (anyone know where it is ?) about dipping these , with before & after pics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:04 AM by Mattdub »

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Tuff II resto
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:05 AM »
the axle kits are easy to get from Alans or from Vert-ego.

Strip em down, clean off all loose ming and grease.

Stick the mags in a big vat of bleach and let em soak for AT LEAST a night.

Then scrub em.

Put new Axle and Bearings in and away you go.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:26 AM »
or swap em me for a pair of perfectly usable blacks and save yourself the bother.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Have a word with DirtyVans He had a few skyway kits.

sam hudson

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:56 PM »
 :'(I bleached my White Tuffs for two weeks and it cleaned them a bit but not lots.

There is a firm called Aqua blast(i think) in East Anglia(i think) and they 'Sponge Blast' plastic train interiors(Dan Burner where are you?)).I tried to contact them by e-mail but got no response(keep trying tho).

Everything else is too harsh on tuffs(plastic ball shotblasting is a serious no no,it melts them.If you can find an egg shell blaster,that might be mild enough( i could'nt and i looked all over the place.)Just buy some new ones,dye the old ones a different colour and have a set for Sunday best.
 You can sand them with a fine sandpaper or wire wool but that REALLY is a ball ache.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:16 PM »
No man,

White tuffs is a no brainer.

Scrub the feck out of em first with brillo and bathroom cleaner and then chuck em in bleech and forget about em.

greentoad

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:46 PM »
Hi all

I've heard that Acetone is good on Tuff restoration, anyone used it? I saw a black alloy hubbed pair, done this way and they looked mint.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 03:19 PM »
just done two brown white tuffs, used bleach n scubbed like a mutha' got them half clean, in the end i bought some 60% peroxide and some white bleach powder from a hairdressing suppliers (not the blue powder cos it doesnt lift as well) hung the tuffs on the clothes line mixed the bleach and brushed it on,keep stirring and applying the left over mixture as they hang as this will keep it active longer. leave for at least 45 mins and rinse, you may need to repeat this a few times but it works a treat. approx 70g of powder and 70mls of peroxide to do two wheels once,  200ml of 60% peroxide (not the cream type) and 200g of bleach powder for about £4. they are gonna ban 60% peroxide soon, so get it while ye can.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuff II resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx