gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 08:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Leary Turbo paint job
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Leary Turbo paint job  (Read 20097 times)

Jazzchimp

Re: Leary Turbo paint job
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 09:48 AM »
If we get enough frames, it might be worth them doing.

Look chaps, all these companies are based in brum by me (home of this kind of industry) so if you need me to visit I can

I'll do some more calls today

Jazzchimp

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 09:41 AM »
This is tougher than I expected.

I contacted the Surface Engineering Society who suggested it could well be an early form of 'clear' powder coating as these gave the appearance of lacquers. They in turn suggested I contacted the British Coatings Federation which I did. They think the finish is liquid. Powder coatings in 1983 in the USA were in there infancy and most "fancy finishes" on bikes were liquid, the fact that the finish on this bike scratches off easily bears this out as well.  

Other than the above they were not sure that they could help, and suggested I visit a car body shop to get a match to it although the cost may well be prohibitive.

Looks like it may be down to a local paint shop lads!

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Carl it certainly sounds that way.

Get your frame chromed and get it blown over with some glass paint stylee spray.

Stidds had it right all along with his Pro Class.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2007, 06:03 PM »
i work in a body/paint shop and am working on the colour at the moment,i spoke to a paint rep who said he will get his paint colourist to have a look,he stocks a lacquer which is used for polished alloy,he thinks this can be tinted and has good adhesion to shiney surfaces,when i am on holiday next i will pop over and have a chat with them,only problem is my frame only has a tiny bit of the coating left so i hope they can match it from what i have ;)
British race frames and race clothing wanted

digitaltransfer

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 08:39 PM »
i work in a body/paint shop and am working on the colour at the moment,i spoke to a paint rep who said he will get his paint colourist to have a look,he stocks a lacquer which is used for polished alloy,he thinks this can be tinted and has good adhesion to shiney surfaces,when i am on holiday next i will pop over and have a chat with them,only problem is my frame only has a tiny bit of the coating left so i hope they can match it from what i have ;)

Lets all hope so put me down if they can and well done so far !

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 09:06 PM »
What about the pro-class brown tint?

Jazzchimp

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 09:09 PM »
cool, who does that and do they do  a blue version?

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 09:29 PM »
i reckon just speak to PKRADMAN - he knows the fella to do this  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:31 PM by Danny Silverstreak »

digitaltransfer

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 11:58 PM »
i reckon just speak to PKRADMAN - he knows the fella to do this  :daumenhoch:

I been there and asked he said dont know ! I had to ask ! bearing in mind his DB collection and repos of bits and bobs had a few £ out of me on those already trying to get it back to 83 gem it needs to be

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2007, 08:00 AM »

Get your frame chromed and get it blown over with some glass paint stylee spray.

Thank you very much  :daumenhoch:, glad to see somebody is paying attention, although the way I did mine was not a glass paint spray but a tinted lacquer, just like Sawzall is looking into.  The lacquer I used has a brown tint in it just like the original Pro Class.  It looks as though I am years ahead of everyone when it comes to colour restoring!!  :LolLolLolLol:

If you look carefully at the picture of my Pro Class, you can see the brown tint (you can see it best on the down tube, with the Pro Class decal on).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:08 AM by stidds »

digitaltransfer

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2007, 02:00 PM »

Thank you very much  :daumenhoch:, glad to see somebody is paying attention, although the way I did mine was not a glass paint spray but a tinted lacquer, just like Sawzall is looking into.  The lacquer I used has a brown tint in it just like the original Pro Class.  It looks as though I am years ahead of everyone when it comes to colour restoring!!  :LolLolLolLol:

If you look carefully at the picture of my Pro Class, you can see the brown tint (you can see it best on the down tube, with the Pro Class decal on).

Stidds I think you are poss spot on but I thought having rad through a number of the posts that it is not as durable as the orig stuff hence the seaqrch, but I do agree firstly it does look cool secondly I may have to go down that route, where did you get the lacour from anyhoow is it in a can or liquid format and need a sprayer to do and dry it out ? PM me with details if you would not mind

Russell

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2007, 02:11 PM »
why dont you fella,s buy a leary turbo with virtually all the original smoke finish on like me  ! 

problem solved   :LolLolLolLol: :coolsmiley:

Danny

gavking

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2007, 09:35 PM »
I am off to my powder coaters during the week to get a profile cruiser coated black. The last time i was down there was just before xmas and he had a candy black coating in which looked very like the leary black but with no hint of brown in it.
Im getting the cruiser done in this colour so will post a pick as I think it will be as close as you will get to black chrome.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2007, 09:38 PM »
db's have a hint of blue
mongoose is brown
and let us know of the out come

gavking

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 10:30 PM »
yeah ya right about the hints of brown and blue!! I had a cw cruiser done in the purple candy in about 1994 and it looked like it was candy over chrome so the black should look realy good. Only prob is the powder coating bloke is bit hit and miss.
One frame could look the dogs nads and another as rough as a badgers arse.
He has nackered a few scooter bits before being too ruff with the blaster so you have to tell him its for a show bike or he just doesnt take  care.
I will get it back in a week so will pu it on the site.

digitaltransfer

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2007, 07:06 PM »
chaps this evening I was sitting down in front of a PC with my neighbour who is a painter sprayer who done a couple of good jobs for me, what he has said if anyone has a small flec of the original stuff he will take it to the big boys and see if he can do a match, alternatively if anyone can get hole of the paint or lacour numbers they could do it from there if anyone is in contact with DB ! just another source I am exploring but I am not going powder coat these gems !

I have given him some of the pics off here and pics od DannyS collection to see what the pros think ! as I say if we can get a sample we maybe in a better position ! unfortunately mine had been completely stripped so no chane on mine PM me if anyone can help !

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2007, 07:44 PM »
I have an original finish F&F on their way from the states as we speak will let you know when it lands unless someone can help now :daumenhoch:

GREMLIN

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I've tried removing a sliver or two from the good coating left on my frame set. The trouble is it just powders away. It doesn't chip, or come away easily. It just turns to dust.  :(

Jazzchimp

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 09:50 PM »
If I see danny Silverstreak's turbo some time soon  i'll take a blunt spoon to it and get a chunk of the finish, he won't mind  :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2007, 09:51 PM »
If I see danny Silverstreak's turbo some time soon  i'll take a blunt spoon to it and get a chunk of the finish, he won't mind  :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:

:knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

digitaltransfer

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 08:01 PM »
BUMP what still no answers ?

Frosty

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I may be on to something and am intending to have a little test, then will post results and how done!!!

Jazzchimp

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 12:59 PM »
test away! :daumenhoch:

Does thid test involve Airfix paint, Flour some tin foil and a roll of selotape? cos if it does I've tried that!  :buck2:

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 01:23 PM »
yawn     :LolLolLolLol: :coolsmiley:

kevin rettie

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2007, 01:41 PM »
What a great read, you boys have been busy! Had a knot in my stomach as I was reading thinking the quest for the grail was almost at an end!

I too have a Leary Turbo needing some TLC. I think we might have another problem though: frame and fork decals! Been searching for some time and have had no luck. Also original padsets...

I will try some paint finishers north of the border and see what I can turn up, keep you posted.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Leary Turbo paint job

gfxgfx
gfx gfx