gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 11:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Another age old debate...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Another age old debate...  (Read 2039 times)

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Another age old debate...
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:18 AM »
....ref handlebar angles.
My opinion is, after all, we are entitled to one;
Old school bikes, in particular show bikes, SHOULD have thear bars lent forward, as they were BITD. That IS how we all rode (once we were a little older, especially)
This was mainly to give the rider "more room" on the bike, totally oblivious of the detremental effect it was having on the handling. This is fact, is it not?
I think they should be leant forward, not back like new school. Leaning the bars back is a handling issue only, isn't it?
Show bike, forward, riders, back.
All together now, show bike forward, riders back.
Ad  :daumenhoch:

gt0733

Re: Another age old debate...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:36 AM »
i've always had my bars verticle. if you needed them that far forward you got the wrong frame. doing wheelies or monos were easier with the bars back past verticle. keep em verticle people :coolsmiley:

Coastvl

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:46 AM »
All my bikes then and now have the bars vertical. I really hate seeing them forward. it bugs me no end. Thats just my opinion though. Like gt0733 said. If you have to have them forward the frame is too small. Plus it's a good way to end up on your face if you get air off a jump.  :P

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:56 AM »
as a lanky git mine are just a tad forward around an inch

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Vertical bitd , if you had them forward you'd be front heavy  :daumenhoch:

Sam Fox always had hers slightly back to compensate  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Always had mine vertical or slightly back from vertical, to me it was only Burner owners that had bars forward, sorry Burner owners but that is always what I thought.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:21 PM »
vertical.....

deffo not burner boy style.

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 12:28 PM »
i like mine slightly forward. BITD i used to line the grips up with the front wheel bolts to get a better feel for the front end, but slightly forward now for no other reason than it looks better :)

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Back then I rode with them vertical, now (on new school rides) I have them parallel to the fork leg. Feels about spot on.

Brian.

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:32 PM »
here's the scoop on bar position

if you rode your bike as a get-to-school machine, you would set them a bit forward. and run a lay back seatpost so the bike was some sort of easy rider. it was the fashion back then.

if you were a freestyler, you would set the bars pretty much upright, for control

as frames got longer in the 90's bars started coming back

with the dirt jumping craze, the bars were mounted a bit back, so you didnt go over the front when you were nose diving the 8 pack.

having the bars forwards made the bike easier to endo, bitd. when you were doing the trick without any skill, just hairing along and hitting the brake and hoping for the best

burner bars:  they are always forwards, because of the rake on the bars. their awful 70's design means that you have to have them tipped over so that the grips are above the headtube. if you have them upright it would be like riding a wheelbarrow.

ronnie remo always rode with his bars tipped a bit forwards, flying in the face of fashion during the 90's. he like them like that! personal preference

that's the 411

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 12:57 PM »
here's the scoop on bar position

if you rode your bike as a get-to-school machine, you would set them a bit forward. and run a lay back seatpost so the bike was some sort of easy rider. it was the fashion back then.

if you were a freestyler, you would set the bars pretty much upright, for control

as frames got longer in the 90's bars started coming back

with the dirt jumping craze, the bars were mounted a bit back, so you didnt go over the front when you were nose diving the 8 pack.

having the bars forwards made the bike easier to endo, bitd. when you were doing the trick without any skill, just hairing along and hitting the brake and hoping for the best

burner bars:  they are always forwards, because of the rake on the bars. their awful 70's design means that you have to have them tipped over so that the grips are above the headtube. if you have them upright it would be like riding a wheelbarrow.

ronnie remo always rode with his bars tipped a bit forwards, flying in the face of fashion during the 90's. he like them like that! personal preference

that's the 411

Wheelbarrow  :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:03 PM »
it wasnt just burners that had them bars

a lot of 70's bikes also did. it was just the period when they were designed

but the bottom line is you run the bars where you feel comfortable with them

people can't ride my bike, because of the tiny handlebars and their awkward position, but its fine for me. and i am radical

THE TUF*NECK

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 03:33 PM »
bars vertical seat laydback for racing is my pesonal preferance this is what it is PERSONaL PREFERANCE  noboddy can dictate whats right or wrong .

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 03:40 PM »
i can.....im lord rom bloke

Dave
haro, how do you do

THE TUF*NECK

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 03:41 PM »
i forgot about you lord rom excuse me :-[

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 03:56 PM »
vertical,with the seat slightly forward to get my ass over the back end doing endo's.

even now on my new school it's the same.

but i am a short a*se.

priv

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 05:55 PM »
i've just posted some pics from the 80's in random{check 'em out :daumenhoch:} and i do have my bars slightly forward,how we forget.

priv

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 05:58 PM »
i wanted to tip the bars forwards on my first bmx, but they were welded to the top clamp of the stem :(

THE TUF*NECK

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 06:03 PM »
vertical,with the seat slightly forward to get my ass over the back end doing endo's.

even now on my new school it's the same.

but i am a short a*se.

priv
nah them there bars arnt vert

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 09:35 PM »
I seem to recall that only Burner boys rode with them really far forward, usually because it was the only way they were ever going to get the front off the ground.  All my bikes and the people I rode with bitd had them pretty much vertical or just over, race or freestyle.

I think I once set my bike with them a little bit further forward when we were doing a wheelie comp to get the front to lift a bit easier but I could never ride it properly like that, I just found the front end too nervous and skittish.

So for me it was always vertical or slightly over but never way forward  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

theRuler

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 09:36 PM »

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Just back from Vertical with the tip of the seat meeting the bar end for racing (14" seat posts rised to the limit mark now that is old school racing)

Oh and this is old school racing as well (and for no real reason either)

Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Bren Gunn

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Cool pic Andy :daumenhoch:

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Vector ,Bob Haro replica bars are my choice ,so i don't have to think about it .

Yeah great pic Andy..............

gt0733

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 11:14 PM »
classic set up there bigplinky. :daumenhoch: no number plate for less wind resistence huh?  :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Another age old debate...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx