gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 06:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  brake problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: brake problem  (Read 642 times)

motomagII

brake problem
« on: December 22, 2006, 06:09 PM »
fitted my evolver to rear of ride with original pads on it ,when i fitted wheel and rode brake is crap not holding at all .this is the first time ive not got one of these correct st away ,especially as no giro .the wheel is chrome rim though whioch ive not had before i dont think are the oddy pads not good on chrome or have i set it up wrong ?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: brake problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:12 PM »
have you put enough tention on the adjusters the 17mm nut around the allen bolt

motomagII

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:52 PM »
yeah too much to start and loosened it off bit .not quite sure on how long the straddle should be for this .would that make a difference because of the angle it is pulling on ?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Yeah, just a polite amount of tension is the way to go. Enough to release the brake and no more   ;)

Did you deglaze those new pads before putting them on?   If not, whip em off and give the faces a rub on some sandpaper until they loose all their shine. Clean the rim with glass cleaner or vinegar and water.  (or brake cleaner if you're a mechanic type).

While you're down there  (snigger)  doublecheck that both brake arms have similar tension and are both equally free running on the posts. Can't be having any of that lop sided brake nonsense   :)

As long as you've run the straddle all the way around the seatpost and connected it in front it, there's no worries there, the angles are a bit kooky on all brakes I reckon, but not enough to upset the brake power.

In my experience very nearly all pads work well on chrome rims. The only thing I've come across is some pads can be bloody noisy.....  Clarks pads out of Halfords work a treat for £6 if you fancy a change.

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 06:23 PM »
changed the pads over and they are running 90% better gonna have bit clean and sandpaper i think as that must be whats wrong .

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Happy days   :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  brake problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx