gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 01:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying again.......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dying again.......  (Read 2517 times)

Frosty

Dying again.......
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:53 PM »
OK I have managed to get a seat that I have been looking for for a while, only trouble is it is blue and not black that I need.

Can I dye a blue to black with good results and if so what product should I get and go about doing it?

The alternative is to try and secure a trade for a black seat. So just in case, I have a NOS Elina Aero Turbo in blue looking for a NOS black one!

Regards

Paul

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Dying again.......
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Yep no problam.  I dyed a lavander shotgun 2 seat black.  Used 2 tins of dylon (not dylon cold dye) plenty of salt and it came up a treat.
Neil

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:30 AM »
That's great news. Is this the stuff people get from Woolworths?

Just need the missus to go out shopping for a few hours then I can put the seat in a pot on the cooker!!!

Regards

Paul

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Yeah its the stuff from Woolworths, that come in little tins.  Like I say I used 2 tins, boiling water and a lot of cooking salt.  Then you just leave it to soak until it turns black.  Also, the various stickers/screen printed names, such as Kashimax or cyclepro etc aren't effected at all.
Neil

Frosty

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 12:16 PM »
Ahh, that's a good point. The seat has the usual gold screen print on the sides, but it does actually have a sticker at the back, that I was thinking I would probably have to remove, do you think I should?

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 12:46 PM »
No need to remove it. You may find the ends may curl slightly when it is removed from the dye. Smooth it down, then run the seat under the cold tap to cool it and harden the writing. NB you should not touch the gold at all while it's hot.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Having never Dyed anything in my life, I just wanted to know why do you need salt when dying stuff  ???

ash

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 09:16 PM »
makes it taste better!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:47 PM »
lol
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:01 PM »
no one knows
but you have to have salt
it says on the dye box

the box that contains dye
will tell no lie

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 10:45 PM »
its weird why you add salt
did a google and found this nugget of info

Immersion or Vat dyeing with fiber reactive dye
In immersion dyeing (bucket or washing machine dyeing) cellulose fibers or silk, using fiber reactive dyes such as Procion MX or Sabracron F, salt is important in helping to drive the dye out of the vast amount of water (which is necessary for smooth, even, unstreaked dyeing) onto the fiber. Use one cup per gallon of water, or follow whatever recipe you have already. Add the salt to the water separately from the dye - dissolve the dye first in water, before adding to the tub full of salt water - because salt makes the dye less likely to dissolve in water.

so there you have itĀ  :D it helps the dye out the water & into the itemĀ  ???
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Frosty

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 12:49 PM »
OK, I'm posting part way through the process, but am guessing that the dye I have is not going to take to the seat.

I bought 2 boxes of Dylon Hand Dye, permanent colour for fabric. Have mixed with the right amount of salt and put it with another 4 pints of hot water into a bowl. and have left the seat in it.

I guess my questions are now, is the dye I bought the right one (it is not the cold dye), did others who have done this dilute the mix less? In which case I think I need a different container as the 2 litres used to mix both boxes of dye was not enough to submerge the seat.

I used this stuff from Dyas

[/img]

but I think I should have used this,

[/img]

Anyone please confirm.

Thanks

Paul

Frosty

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Just realised, I've been a d*ckhead.

I need the multipurpose dye, so I'm off now to try and get some.

Frosty

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 09:45 PM »
Bought meself a nice big cooking pot and some Multi purpose dye and here we have the before and after, (bit gutted I didn't take the rear foil sticker off now, as it has turned blue)

before

[/img]

[/img]

after

[/img]

[/img]

Paul

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 10:07 PM »
nice job  :)

kinda like the the sticker too
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Frosty

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 12:10 AM »
I was worried for a while as it stayed at a rather British Racing Green colour for quite a while!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying again.......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx