gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 11:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HEAD SET HELP.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HEAD SET HELP.  (Read 1581 times)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
HEAD SET HELP.
« on: October 06, 2005, 06:44 PM »
so what the best way to get head set cups out.
and then new back in again.
i've herd they can be a bit of a job without a press.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: HEAD SET HELP.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 06:47 PM »
screwdriver and hammer to get em out....vice or hefty g clamp to get em in, or threaded bar with plates/nuts  on
I want to touch ORB

scottyp

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:54 PM »
vice to get them in and out :)

weston

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:16 PM »
try some wood that fits down the inside of the tube & a hammer to knock them out then theres no damage as metal on metal will damage & weaken the cups...(hope you understand what i mean & you not gonna put your own wood down the hole) ;D

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 10:32 AM »
ORBs Method.

Get an onld big screw driver and slide it through the inside of the frame and bray it with a big hammer, It will fly out no probs.

Get em back in, 2 blocks of wood and a mallet.

(same for BB)

theRuler

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:04 AM »
orbs method is best

you'd need to be geoff capes to recreate the amount of force the mallet / wood gives with a vice (let alone a g clamp)

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Hammer and srewdriver has worked fine for me.  Don't use that method on alloy cups tho.
Neil

holeshotter

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Gettin them out svrewdriver but getting them in I made a simple device out of bits and bobs cause I didn't want to hammer about with my flights..
I use it for bottom brackets and headsets. You need a long threaded bolt that has thread al the way down it or nearly all the way. If you imagine a stem bolt but with thread all the way down it. then you need two big washers or bits of metal (bigger than cups you are trying to get into frame) with holes in the size of the bolt to go through the middle. Very simply washer or metal plate on one end slide through headset cup, through head tube, through other cup on other side, put other washer and nut on then tighten. Cups will be in place without damage.

If you want a pic let me know.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HEAD SET HELP.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx