gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 09:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Manufacturers remaking old school parts/frames etc...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Manufacturers remaking old school parts/frames etc...  (Read 2650 times)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Manufacturers remaking old school parts/frames etc...
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Just read a thread on VBMX about the question from Todd Lyons about SE remaking Landing Gear forks.  This got me thinking, what would be the general feeling if manufacturers started making some of the old school gear again?  Imagine if Dia Compe started making MX1000's again, Shimano the DX or Tioga made the Comp II and III's with the original labels, Pro Neck & Tuf Neck did their stems, chainrings and stuff.  Torker, Redline, Diamond Back and some of the others that are still around all made an old school frame and fork combo with 1" headtube and caliper brakes.

I don't recall seeing a thread on this before so would this be good or bad?  Would it allow people to build the bike of their dreams more easily or would it "kill" the collecting market dead?

Discuss...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

selfpreservation

Re: Manufacturers remaking old school parts/frames etc...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:53 PM »
sounds cool to me as long as they were exactly the same dont know if it would be that cheap today though

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:54 PM »
it'd be good for me
i aint paying the high prices for stuff
just can't afford to

LXIX

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:17 PM »
BAD ,parts people paid alot of money for would drop , just imagine the losses thats wat happened recently with oackley grips they reproduced and the bay was full of them for cheap and getting cheeper everybody trying to sell b4 they hit the shops
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:46 PM by LXIX »

gt0733

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21 PM »
it would be cool but to have a complete bike built with genuine 70's/80's components is even cooler. the best bit is actually riding without fear of hurting/scratching components that you've just donated a kidney to fund.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Its a good idea as lond as the market dont get flooded, and he repop parts are marked as such....

Have you tried to get a pair of redline proline forks ffs??? or comp2s. It would damage the value of some stuff, but if the real companies dont, some 2bob in India or China will
A long time ago, in a land far away!

selfpreservation

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Its a good idea as lond as the market dont get flooded, and he repop parts are marked as such....

Have you tried to get a pair of redline proline forks ffs??? or comp2s. It would damage the value of some stuff, but if the real companies dont, some 2bob in India or China will
but if somebody said to you i have a set of proline forks for £50 they are made in the same factory same people same jig same material but i made them yesterday not 20 years ago would you care

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 12:23 AM »
Exactly!!!!!!!!

Unless I have 10 pairs stashed away which I paid £5 each for and was gonna sell for £150 each :shocked:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 12:31 AM »
i think it would be a bad thing. all this " retro " thing makes my blood boil. its like these new skyways dress it up as much as you like but its new school for feks sake they even date it :LolLolLolLol:. sorry i just hate all this remake crap

Trev

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:39 AM »
i think it would spoil the magic of seeing a built up old school bike.  i don't build em up myself (yet), but i'm sure a lot of the fun is hunting around and finding the parts.  i can't see it being that much fun if you can buy everything readily...

i mean if you look at classic cars, would collectors buy a brand new "classic" car....

also would the parts be exactly the same? i.e. still weak in comparison to new technology? or would parts that were known to be fairly flimsy be strengthened?  would the vincent air zone be made stronger?

selfpreservation

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46 AM »
i think it would need to be exactly the same the fun of collecting parts , i think you mean the relief if you finally finish something at great expense for a moments glory

db-oldskool

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24 AM »
Well it's both good & bad,depending on how you see the hobby. ???

If you paid say 4 thousand over two years to build a real 80's VDC Changa & it sits in your home now,would you want a duplicate selling in shops for 1 thousand or less? That's the bad part.Same could be said for the Son Lite hubs,I doubt the current owners who paid what they have for them would like to see sets on sale at their local shop under 50 quid.

If you can't afford that kind of money but still want the same bike,you could get one really cheap by buying the thing part by part from the shop.  That's the good part.

Now I believe the bad far outweighs the good,too much invested in the hobby to justify manufacturer made exact retro stuff,your collection would be worth a fraction of what it is now & the hobby will dry up real quick.You know people will just buy up stuff in vast quantities if it were made in limited quantities,then try to sell them at a massive profit to those who miss out.
Not to mention if limited quantities were made & not marked in any way,there would be people holding on to the stuff for awhile then trying to sell it as OG 80's & you'd never know for sure.
SE is doing it right with the 1 1/8" headtube & canti brakes,unless you're totally retarded you'd never fall for it being anything other than new school. :D If retro stuff be made other companies should follow SE's lead,make sure it's totally able to be indentified as new school so it won't be mistaken for real old school stuff & abused by sellers peddling it as old school. :daumenhoch:
Now if they made it in mass quantities,that'll just kill the hobby,why bother to talk/trade/sell/buy real 80's gear?

Trev

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:04 AM »
would it still be called old school if it is made new?

if old stamps were reproduced where you couldn't tell the difference, the old stuff would be pretty much worthless and collectors wouldn't bother.  i think the same will apply here.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 04:28 AM »
I think if a company owns the patent they should do what they like. I'd gladly buy a set of new red and blue MX1000's for 30 quid, wish i had four years ago when they were £30. As long as there's a market people will keep doing it.

On another note i remember people saying the retro Mongoose would effect the old goose market but it didn't.

db-oldskool

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 08:40 AM »
That's because Mongoose really put out a turd retro,everybody said they did this wrong & that wrong so nobody wanted it. :2funny:

zed4130

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 08:46 AM »
i love my 05 ripper  :smitten: and the landing gear are great  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:31 PM by zed4130 »

stoke bloke

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 04:23 PM »
I think the way that prices are rising and the popularity of all things nostalgic i think that it is inevitable that we shall see some newly produced old school stuff   . we are already seeing most of the big bike companies doing old school bikes so there is a definate market . persoanally i don't really care one way or the other. I think that much more worrying is the fact that prices are so high for some parts now that the prospect of widespread faking and counterfeiting parts  can't be far away . those Chinese dudes are really skilled  and the prices that MX1000,s are going for .... i know that there has alwatys been fakes but it  can't be far away for the high end stuff to be attracting some serious attention. hutch cranks come to mind.  yeah maybe companies should start remanufacturing old parts  before the chinese and eastern europeans do. our money is worth a hell of a lot in their currencies.   

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55 PM »
It would be nice if you could get consumable items like tyres, grips, pedals and Tuff pads etc. They are the most easily damaged or worn parts on the bike if you use it.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 11:45 PM »
I'm kinda sad because it all reeks of BANDWAGON !

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 02:14 AM »
yeah i agree Matt

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 09:24 AM »
But all collectors markets have repops

The MG scene has all sorts of parts repopped to help make peoples cars run, everyone knows the difference and the original parts fetch more money anyway cos they are original

Rich

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Manufacturers remaking old school parts/frames etc...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx