gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new wheel rims ? swopping parts over? ?? ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new wheel rims ? swopping parts over? ?? ?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
new wheel rims ? swopping parts over? ?? ?
« on: October 11, 2005, 11:16 AM »
right then boy,s got some chrome araya 7x rims lined up ,, the spokes and hubs on another set are fine , arayas again, can i fit all these parts on my new rims ?  - or is it not possible - do they snap on removing etc.. as you are all aware i havnt got a clue so any advice would be great,

thankyou in advance

Danny

theRuler

Re: new wheel rims ? swopping parts over? ?? ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:34 AM »
yes you can swap the hubs and spokes

if you are unsure about relacing it, dont worry, its easy.
do them one at a time - build the new rim up, copying how the spokes go in the old rim.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 12:19 PM »
What Ruler said.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

I will admit that I am shite at lacing up rims, but if I have one there to look at, i get there in the end...

Slowly...

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:26 PM »
try stidds' wheel building guide on here.

or just copy another wheel (so long as you got the same spoke length)

it'll make sense when you start to build it. you do it in 4 swoops.
do up the nipples 5 turns when you first put all the spokes in, then go round doing them a couple of turns each. until they are all tight.
then make truing adjustaments to get it bob-on

make sure when you do the initial 5 turns the nipple gets a good purchase on the thread.

i just built a wheel last night, while watching TV. i built the other one of the set the night before.

take the oppurtunity to scrub everything clean. i washed my rims in the sink with soapy water and a nail brush. the hubs took more of a thorough degreasing, but ended up in the soapy water afterwards. wire wool did wonders for the braking surface / rim sides

aditup

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Before diassembling the spokes from the wheel, cable tie all the "pairs" of spokes together at the widest "cross". this stops them falling out and all over the place. Loosen spokes, remove nipples, lift off old rim, taking note where the valve was, place new rim in its place, refit nipples, tighten and true to your hearts content. Piece of p1ss ;D Done loads. Failing that, the old "copy from another wheels" is the best bet. Make sure you get the "off centre" spoke holes pointing the right way. Good luck, Ad ;)

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 05:11 PM »
thanks chaps ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new wheel rims ? swopping parts over? ?? ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx