gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  new skatepark in Scotland
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new skatepark in Scotland  (Read 963 times)

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
new skatepark in Scotland
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:12 AM »
Long-awaited skate park kicks off 
Duncan Kirkhope
BBC Scotland news 

Dunblane youngsters now have a skateboard park, 10 years after a group of them first came up the idea of creating one.
The skateboard park, set high in a dip in the Laighills area of the Perthshire town, is now open for use by skateboarders and BMX bikers.

"I think the skate park is really beautiful. It's a dream come true. There's a lot of excitement in the town about it," said Jo Bicheno, chairwoman of the Dunblane skate committee.

"There were times I never thought we would ever get this far," said Ms Bicheno, whose son was one of the original skateboarders who came up with the idea.

"I love the concrete curves. As someone said to me it's really very subtle and fits in to this area really well."

The new skate park has taken 10 years to become reality

The original skateboarders behind the park plan have now grown up, but most of them have kept an active interest in the planning and building of the skate park.

"It's down to the kids firstly, but it's also been a real community effort to get this facility," said Bryan Grieve, chairman of the Dunblane Development Trust.

"Jo Bicheno is the real hero. She has put so much effort in over the years, constantly encouraging the youngsters to keep working with discos, band nights etc. to raise their share of the funding.

"£148,000 was raised to pay for the park, with more than £8,000 brought in by young people."

Laighills was one of three proposed sites for the skate park in Dunblane.

You just have to look at it and see the kids enjoying themselves to see it has worked out really well

Bryan Grieve
Dunblane Development Trust

One of the others, at the Millrow car park, proved controversial because of its town centre location, attracting objections from local residents.

"There have been a few arguments along the way at public meetings etc., but I think it is in the right place now," Mr Grieve said.

"You just have to look at it and see the kids enjoying themselves to see it has worked out really well.

"Hopefully during the coming summer months it'll be used every night and the kid's really enjoy it."

There will be an official opening on Friday 11 May.

"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Trev

Re: new skatepark in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:15 AM »
why does dunblane ring a bell. did something serious happen there a while back. murders or something? or was it a plane crash?

Trev

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:17 AM »

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:44 AM »
it was where they had a massacre of school kids and a teacher.

my brother lives nearby,looks like i'll be taking the bike when i go see him :daumenhoch:

there's some good mtb action to be had up there aswell

priv
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:46 AM by priv »

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:18 AM »
My brother lives in Dunblane and it's only 15 minutes up the road from me - will have to pop along and have a look  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  new skatepark in Scotland

gfxgfx
gfx gfx