gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 01:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  prolite freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: prolite freestyler  (Read 1416 times)

weston

prolite freestyler
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:49 AM »
has anyone got a prolite?? just purchased the cheap one off of emma & was wondering what cheap,decent forks fit?? do i need to get 1" threaded?? as the scrap man would say "any old iron" to help build this junk would be appreciated :D

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: prolite freestyler
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:34 PM »
1 inch threaded indeed.

I have one.

They are a nice frame.

weston

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 09:43 PM »
is there such a thing as a 1" clamp on stem & can i fit one to this frame? if not, what is a good set of stem bearings & cups (cheap as poss)?

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Hoffman superforks were 1 inch threaded with clamp on stem as were Stewart King "King Pins" to name a couple!
they enabled you to use a conventional inch headset etc but with the added strength of being able to run a really thick steerer tube as the stem was clamped on the top rather than pushed down the middle!
i have both and the King Pins are awesomely strong, there were even tales in the mid 90's about them being so strong they were ripping the headtubes out of frames without bending/breaking :o

i'll post a pic if you really wanna see them?

weston

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:11 PM »
i wouldnt mind seeing a photo, where can i buy one of these??

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:23 PM »
gotta get me camera out now & take a pic, upload it host it & post it ::)

give me a few minutes ;)

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:58 PM »
digicams are so crap in anything but the brightest sunlight >:(

hopefully you can see that they are threaded at normal height & there is a section extending up beyond the threads for the stem to clamp onto! NOTE these aint the same as a regular clamp on as the forks are significantly thinner at the top! the stem can be used either way up but i prefer flipped as shown.
plus the shot from above you can see how thick the steerer tube is :o
the forks pictured have slots for 10mm axles and very solid built in peg bosses with a large internal thread (12mm i think?) same size as a renault Laguna wheelbolt ( i checked ::) ) and i think the dropouts are about 5mm thick, so all in a very solid fork :)
these are seriously hardcore!

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Wilkerson Airlines did a threaded clamp-on, too. Also the original KHE Beater (I think).

At one time I had some ProLite 1" non-threaded forks I used with a Hoffman 1" Aheadset stem. It was hard to source, but the guy at Custom Riders' warehouse (I was put through to a separate number to speak to him) said he was looking at a box full of Hoffman stems in that size.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  prolite freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx