gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975532 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 08:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re: chroming Midlands UK on the other channel Jon Walsh
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Re: chroming Midlands UK on the other channel Jon Walsh  (Read 1591 times)

darkslider

Re: chroming Midlands UK on the other channel Jon Walsh
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Its not Midlands but its only Manchestaaar and its top sorted mad for it our kid! I phoned R+S chroming who seemed to know his stuff where other people spat their dummies out when asked questions quoted £65 for a frame £25 for forks.Anyone any price comparisons?

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28 PM »
well down here insunny essex ive ben qouted £10 for forks or bars and £50 for the frame
but cost me £15 to dechrome it and £35 to polish it

darkslider

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:56 PM »
I rang up some where in Liverpool and they worked on £20-22 a foot on car bumpers but said they couldn't do bikes as they need hard chroming. But their price included all prep with a guarantee on satisfaction. Apparantly metal is stripped to a mirror finish before process or any little flaw will show up!

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Castleford chrome charged me £80 for a frame, 1 pair of 401 arms and a pair of 400 arms. I am still waiting for my bars to come back, these are costing £20 - but to be honest as cheap as they are it is difficult getting the parts sent back timely.

They only accept payment by cheque and will not send stuff back before it clears (that's fine with me) but I do object to having to make chasing phone calls each week, like I have for the last 3!!!

I'd be interested in hearing what people think of the work done by the R+S folks in Manchester as I have another pair of bars on there way and they are tired looking!!

Regards

Paul

Sanmarcopizza

Re: Re: chroming Midlands UK on the other channel Jon Walsh
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:12 AM »
If it is R & S Electroplating Co.Ltd in failsworth I would urge you to give them the body swerve. They are slow & unreliable and their work is crap. When I used them their polisher had injured himself seriously and then decided he was not going back to work. I guess the work that I had done may have been rushed by someone un-skilled, but the net effect was that I had a set of stamped Redline STR bars returned to me with serious dimpling under the grips, and at least half of the writing polished away. They also did a Redline fluted seatpost, which lost a serious amount of ridge and also was dimpled in the recesses. All in all I was very dissapointed with them.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 10:31 AM »
it horrible when that happens.i can remember having a pick up resprayed.the fella sounded like the ultimate painter. but when it came back it looked like he had done it with a yard brush.needless to say he did'nt get payed and was lucky he did'nt get a punch in the head.it would be handy to know of a good platers and powder coater round this part of the country.
dave the bmxing gypo

greentoad

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Hi  ;)

All of my quotes have been around the £150 for F & F ( :'( ), so your prices seem very cheap.

These are top finishers but as such have a waiting list of around 2 months -

One is -

Kent Metal Finishers Ltd - www.kentmetalfinishers.co.uk just take a look at the Gallery.

The other is -

Vehicle and General Polishers and Platers
Unit 4a
Portland Industrial Estate
Arlesey
SG15 6SG
Bedfordshire
Tel: 01462 730396

All have have heard for both of these (from car / motorcycle classic restorers - plus other businesses) is that they are the best, and exceptional at what they do.

Hope this helps.

greentoad

darkslider

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Yeah it is I'll delete them from my list of possibles then.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re: chroming Midlands UK on the other channel Jon Walsh

gfxgfx
gfx gfx