gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 08:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crossrider Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crossrider Pro  (Read 6927 times)

Vegan

Crossrider Pro
« on: March 12, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Finally got the last piece of tne puzzle this morning so as I'm off work decided to get it ready and photograph it, 4 months in the making it's finally finished:

The story, for those who don't know it already is that I was looking for a f+f on Ebay and I found two, one was a chrome hot heart but Robin said to not get it cause he has one, the alternative was to get this - I loved it straight away because of the gusset plates, and top condition too -

It was the first thing i'd bought from overseas on Ebay and was thinking that it would set me back a fair deal in postage - turns out £72 total for f+f+shipping surface mail (I highly recommend this option if you aren't in a rush to get something!)

I did a quick search on t'interweb and found this picture courtesy of www.oldskoolbmx.com (currently down for maintenance):

And these from the guy who sold it to me, including a NOS frame and forks he has (he wasn't selling!!):

Padset for repro purposes

Mark Dobson's collection

Waza's (seller)

Decal scan for me to repro

NOS Crossrider f+f!! I'd strangle a dolphin to get this baby

And some random old one that he gave me the headbadge from

with 12 weeks to wait until it arrived I had time to research it more fully, with the help of Matt Zombie, Robin Burnaliser and the helpful dudes on RADBMX.co.uk I found a few places with some info:

These were given to me by Coastvl on RAD - they gave me the vital spec list:

Now, I liked the look of the yellow and black because the gusset plate looked like bare metal and the rest powdered black, I'd not seen that before, but Rob and Matt both pointed out that the chrome looked mint and to go for the Pro model instead.

Sourcing the parts was quite difficult, these were quite popular in Aus because of price, a bit like the burner here but less so - there's still parts I need to source to make it all original - a crossrider stem (if anyone knows where I can get one they look like this):

Also need some Araya 7x's in blue with Suzue high flange hubs, Shimano DX (or SX - the ones with reflectors, can never get my head round which ones they are!!), Izumi zebra blue chain, Sugino BB, Redline approved Kusuki Win V Bars, Hatta MX-2 headset and Tange Cr-Mo seat post - I was a bit anxious to build it so for now, until I get the correct parts I bought copies/replacements.

Here's my spec list:

Crossrider Pro f+f thanks to Waza
NOS Win V-bars - Skatepool
Mint MX-1000's, cables and DC blocks thanks to 1970John
NOS centralisers for the above thanks to Mark Gil
NOS Sumo rims, KT large flange hubs, stainless spokes thanks to Mark Gil
NOS Cheng Shin Comp III tread tyres, also Mark
NOS Hatta MX-100 headset - Daz-Bmx
NOS Sugino shaped stem - Oliver at OldSchoolBMX.de
NOS Suntour Seat Clamp - someone on RAD, can't remember who but thanks!
NOS Sugino 42T chainring - Oliver at OldSchoolBMX.de
NOS Sugino spider and bolts - courtesy of WolfyBMX
NOS Sugino Cr-Mo crank - courtesy of someone on RAD, again, let me know for thanking purposes
NOS SR pedals - thanks to Goose
NOS DC pre-bent levers - Vert-Ego
NOS Aero Jaguar seat - Ebay
NOS OGK Hex Grips - can't recall where from!!
Halfords seat post - £1.99 bargain ;)

And finally, to the pads and decals, these were always an issue as the decals are rare as fook in Australia, no-one has repro'd them at all - as I went for the blue Pro model I had to get the decals for it, Waza had sent me a scan of the standard decals that came on all models but it wouldn't have been right to do them so instead I did more research and asked one of the friendly Aus guys to take some photo's and measure them up for me - I was supplied with the measurements and these photo's:

I'd asked everywhere but no-one seemed to be able to repro them, so I sorted the pads out first thanks to Steve the dude - I sent him the photo of the pad set above and within 3 days I had them in my hand!!

Still worrying about the decals I gave Steve the option of "Repro the standard ones if you can't do the pro ones" - Got a email at 11:30pm Thursday night saying he'd done them - I asked which ones he said the Pro ones!!!!! What a dude!! - he sent me over a picture of em:

I couldn't believe how spot on they were, considering he had very little help to go on I was so chuffed - I asked him to get them to me for Saturday, no mater what the cost, turns out £6 for next day delivery on a Saturday but damn it, I was gonna have it ready for Saturday - that was until I got wasted on Friday night and didn't get up for the postie on Saturday morning ;)

Picked them up today and here is the finished article - I'm so damned happy to own, in my knowledge, the only Crossrider Pro in the UK:

This stands me just short of £600, my first proper build with all parts sourced either NOS or mint - big thanks to everyone involved, especially Rob and Matt for their researching skills and Steve for saving the bike from anonymous heaven ;)

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Crossrider Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:31 PM »
great bike  :daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:36 PM »
 :smitten: Fantastic  :smitten:

Beautifull bike  :4_17_5:

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:50 PM »
that is so nice
never seen one!!!

the rare bikes are the best

Vegan

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:04 PM »
that is so nice
never seen one!!!

the rare bikes are the best

I agree dude, it's not like it makes it any more valuable though - I did it purely for scarcity value - my next project may be even rarer ;) watch this space!!

daz bmx it!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Nice bike :daumenhoch: you ain't gonna believe this buddy but I sold one of them stems on a diamond back reactor :( never seen one before ???  but have since got a nos red one but alas it dont say crossrider on it.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 09:37 PM »
That looks sweet, a good Aussie bike  :daumenhoch:

What does it ride like or have you not tried yet?  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Vegan

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Nice bike :daumenhoch: you ain't gonna believe this buddy but I sold one of them stems on a diamond back reactor :( never seen one before ???  but have since got a nos red one but alas it dont say crossrider on it.

Yeah, Sugino did DB stamped ones too mate, don't think i could pass it off to anyone other than a blind person with no fingers ;)

Vegan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 09:57 PM »
That looks sweet, a good Aussie bike  :daumenhoch:

What does it ride like or have you not tried yet?  ;)

both times i've ridden it i've had an accident - the main one yesterday early hours

Sitting on the bike that caused this hassle!!

my first break and black eye!! gutted!!

but, most importantly of all, the damage to the bike!!

not bad, £50 worth of damage!!

The problem is the steerer tube is the wrong angle and it turns too quickly so it can jar and flip you - other than that it rides so smoothly and is way lighter than an aero pro - you can do mean endo's on it and I've never been able to do that before - the first endo i went over the bars!!

velocidad

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 10:23 PM »
wow.... nice bike Vegan.  ;)

and no more endo's for a while ok mate.

workshyfop

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 11:43 PM »
cool looking ride you built there, well unusual and really pretty, full olde schooly style. also, love the schwinn stingray in the background of one of the pics - possibly the coolest bicycle ever!!!

Vegan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 01:18 AM »
cool looking ride you built there, well unusual and really pretty, full olde schooly style. also, love the schwinn stingray in the background of one of the pics - possibly the coolest bicycle ever!!!

Alas, 'tis but a cheap new school copy made by Ridgeback - it's not mine either but I have offered to strip, clean and re-build for my housemate when I have the use of my arm again ;)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 07:00 AM »
nice bike Vegan, never seen one of those before  :coolsmiley:
 :) DINGO :)

Coastvl

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Superb build! You've done an aussie classic proud. You should build a crossrider 24" to match it.
I'll keep an eye out for the stem too. You never know what will pop up at the markets around here.  :daumenhoch:

Frosty

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Vegan,

That is a sweet build, I remember seeing the f+f on the bay I thought it was a Rampar at first.

Can you drop me a pm about who did decals and pads?

Cheers

Paul

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Nice bike Vegan, looking at your face, I guess it kept some of his wild character.
Thanks for sharing the exhaustive story  :daumenhoch:

Hope you'll get better soon...

Vegan

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 11:33 AM »
nice bike Vegan, never seen one of those before  :coolsmiley:
 :) DINGO :)

I see something new in OS BMX every day ;) Cheers dude

Vegan

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Superb build! You've done an aussie classic proud. You should build a crossrider 24" to match it.
I'll keep an eye out for the stem too. You never know what will pop up at the markets around here.  :daumenhoch:

there's another Aussie build on the way too dude ;)

I didn't think they made a cruiser? is that true? I thought it was only a 26"

I really enjoyed this build, like no others, mainly because it was such a challenge finding stuff out about it - if it wasn't for you dude I wouldn't have a spec list or anything to go on - hats off to you mate - pm is on it's way about new build coming soon ;)

Coastvl

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Here's another ad I scanned for you. It has a list of all the crossrider models. Clic on pic to enlarge  :daumenhoch:

Vegan

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Here's another ad I scanned for you. It has a list of all the crossrider models. Clic on pic to enlarge  :daumenhoch:

Yeah I had that already dude, cheers though, MrBMX from Aus had it on OldSkoolBMX.com which is currently down

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crossrider Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx