gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 02:52 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  wheel lacing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wheel lacing  (Read 1243 times)

jon016847

wheel lacing
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I taught myself to lace wheels last weekend. 

I remember reading stidds - wheel building topic, but the only thing i could remeber was about twisting the hub when a certain amount of spokes were in.  I am not on line at home so have nothing but a built set of wheels to refer to ,

Man the first wheel took me about 2.5 hours to do, kept getting all confused with the spoke pattern and having to start again, lol  , when I finally figured it out, the 02nd wheel took me about 25 mins.

Now lacing is one thing, these spin like they have been involved in a very bad accident,

Not sure if I have the patience to try and true them as well

How easy is to true the wheels ??????

Jon W
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:24 AM by jon016847 »

Frosty

Re: wheel lacing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Jon,

I too followed stidds guide and also the sheldon brown guide on how to true them.

I got one of these from wiggle for £30 or so quid

and the result was these;

My experience was the other way round though. I think I lucked out on the first wheel, half hour or so, but the second I ended up undoing and respoking 3 times - its bloody awkward turning the hub and getting the nips to pull through the holes whilst putting in another round of spokes!! Very pleasing at the end though.

Regards

Paul

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Jon

I find that when I lace wheels I have to do minimal trueing as I put each nipple on to the spoke the same number of turns (ie 5 turns).  That way when you do have to true the wheels the initial tension on the spokes is the same.

I would keep trying as it is a skill that is very useful.

jon016847

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:11 PM »
I think, I over tigtneed the first side i threaded and then the next site it was difficult to screw the nipples fully in, so that must be causing the massive bend in the rims when i spin them, I will definalty try again,  I have paid for 15 sets to be laced and it gets a bit expensive!

If at first you dont succeed then try , try  ....

Jon W

Frosty

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Jon,

Stidds is right, if you can get the spokes roughly done up the same number of turns it should leave a little sideways and up and down movement to true out using the stand.

I ended up spending ages getting the things as good as I thought they could be and happy with how the spun on the stand - only to have that good work look like sh*te when the tubes and tyres are mounted. The comp III's I put on have both a bit of side movement and rises and dips, so it looks like the wheel isn't true!!

I guess I should spend a bit of time working the tyre fitment better :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  wheel lacing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx