gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 01:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cleaning chains, bearings, etc – whats best?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cleaning chains, bearings, etc – whats best?  (Read 1727 times)

Stevo

Cleaning chains, bearings, etc – whats best?
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

Restoring an old TA at the moment, and want to know what's best for cleaning oily components like chains and bearing races? I remember petrol or paraffin was best BITD. Maybe there's a better product out there now. Help appreciated as always. Thanks Stevo.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Cleaning chains, bearings, etc – whats best?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 09:51 PM »
well ive been using 2 stroke oil and turps mixed at the mo seems to work in degreasing stuff and leaves a nice residue on the items .but its cos i was too lazy to get proper stuff lol

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 09:56 PM »
carb cleaner to clean , then i use a synthetic oil to re grease

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 10:01 PM »
i soaked mine in WD40.i dont ride it so never olied it up again. it looks dirty then  ;D
dave the bmxing gypo

musicmitch

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I've just started working at a bike project teaching young people how to build bikes and then they get to keep the finished product..Anyway they have stuff there called gt 85 I spray some into a lplastic tub or bowl and then place the bearing races into it and run the bearing race around the bottom of the tub and it frees off all the crap and gets the bearings running sweet again and it just seems to clean itself..Works on sprockets and chains just as good..I think I'm a bit of a sado as I actually love getting rusty old components clean and bringing them back to life..I must try that stuff on myself soon! ;D

FORDY

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 10:38 AM »
I ride on a Pro road team and the mechanics have to degrease and lube 8 bikes a day.

Most of the teams use diesel/petrol for the chains (i have even seen barbeque cleaner)

Diesel or Petrol is the cheapest.

Best stuff is Finish line degreaser

Don't use GT 85 / wd40 for the chains, you might as well use water!

Again best lube for chains is Finish line - get the cross country lube.

Don't use products designed for motorbikes - Finish line makes good grease but there are lots of diffent varieties out there

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 10:45 AM »
I've just started working at a bike project teaching young people how to build bikes and then they get to keep the finished product..Anyway they have stuff there called gt 85 I spray some into a lplastic tub or bowl and then place the bearing races into it and run the bearing race around the bottom of the tub and it frees off all the crap and gets the bearings running sweet again and it just seems to clean itself..Works on sprockets and chains just as good..I think I'm a bit of a sado as I actually love getting rusty old components clean and bringing them back to life..I must try that stuff on myself soon! ;D

Sounds like a cool project mate!

What sort of bikes to they build?  and do you want an old MK2 super burner frame for it?  it's in pretty good shape and has had the gold coating taken off in the past (as nearly everyone did BITD) it's in pretty good shape other than the seat post is stuck in the frame.
Yours if you want it for a good cause?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Petrol.

there is no substitute.

Stevo

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Cheers for the advice fellas. I think I will use petrol in the old school way. Until next time…

muttley

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 02:46 PM »

Diesel or Petrol is the cheapest.

Let me guess your in America right?  ;)

darren

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:31 PM »
cillit bang.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cleaning chains, bearings, etc – whats best?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx