gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 01:06 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The death of the all purpose BMX ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The death of the all purpose BMX ?  (Read 2310 times)

Sanmarcopizza

The death of the all purpose BMX ?
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Was chatting with ORB and it got me thinking. Back in the early days of BMX, we only had one all purpose bike. You raced it, jumped it and rode park on it. When did that all stop. Did the late 80's freestyle revolution see off the all purpose BMX, making a distinct divide between what you styled on and what you raced ?

What I am trying to find out is, by the early 90's was there still an all purpose BMX, one that benefitted from increased TT length, strength & rigidity, but was still light enough to race ?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: The death of the all purpose BMX ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 02:30 PM »
I can think of a lot of race bikes that got used for FS but cant think of a FS that was a racer?

The Curtis Freestyler is just a Pro with extra tubing so i suppose that is cool.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 02:34 PM »
fst  freestyle race etc..........fsx ....better cos skyways.
I want to touch ORB

greentoad

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Hi

I have been meaning to ask for quite a while -

fst = Freestyle, Street and Track

But what does the FSX mean?

Thanks  ;)

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 02:59 PM »
yeah but I am talking later on I guess, just before AD990 mounts and 1 1/8 headsets, were there any 20"+ TT bikes that were all rounders ?

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Hi

I have been meaning to ask for quite a while -

nothing. i think it just replaced the model....fsx had skyways. and afew other bits slightly diff.

moose is the person to ask really.

fst = Freestyle, Street and Track

But what does the FSX mean?

Thanks  ;)

I want to touch ORB

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 03:04 PM »
wot year did it go 11/8?
I want to touch ORB

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 04:31 PM »
When was there ever an all purpose BMX? there were race bikes then freestyle bikes then dirt, ramp, street, flatland, cruiser, mini, blah blah blah.

Even the FST was just a poor brother to the Sport which was primarily developed as a ramp bike.

The Kappa Starsky maybe?

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 07:19 PM »
im kinda on the fence with this one bob, but gotta say i see your point, 78 to around 81/82 all bikes were race bikes really.....then the freestyle bikes started rolling out..

but the early days of bmx in the uk, as san is saying, we all had race bikes that we ...used to race, use at the skatepark, ride to school, and ride the streets...all on one bike.

ive lost the plot now and cant remember what my point was going to be...so it must be correct

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 07:26 PM »
couldnt afford two.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 07:42 PM »
We've got a kid at the heath that does jumps on a KHE flat lander and you only have to look as far as the average race day at hersden to see kids racing on bikes ment for other things so i don't think anything's changed in that respect Dave. it's all BMX innit?  8)

Just now they have more options to choose from but at the end of the day it's just gimps like us lot that can afford seperate race-park-flatland-whatevers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 07:44 PM by Bob_Acid »

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 07:52 PM »
a true old school build would incorperate the best of both and not just built strictly for one purpose, a lot of the builds you see now are as they should be but not as they were, ive said all this before, each to their own, i think im mellowing in my old age. STOP BUILDING BIKES CORRECTLY and give us a taste of the true old school. :D

stoke bloke

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 08:19 PM »
i ride a Standard 125.  I think that the Standard race team ride them , or they used to race  them  a couple of years ago. Pretty much lost touch of what is happening in the modern day bmx world.
  Rick Moliterno used to ride one  on ramps .don't know whether he still does.  So i guess you could class it as a dual bike .
   i would guess that a lot of modern day race bikes could  stand up to a bit of ramp riding.  That downhill /supercross stuff is really gnarly so I would imagine that the frames have got to be solid .
  Add to this the fact that all of the nu schoolers are very weight conscious about their  bikes  i just wonder if the 2 types of bike will meet in a few years, don't know .
   so i would say that a lot of race bikes , particularly crmo ones could be classed as all rounders .
  I would agree though that the door only swings one way. don't think that true ramp street  bikes  would make good racers. Well not when you are old and fat like me  ;D   
 hope that this makes sense , I have my doubts 

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13 PM »
i can remember being called a "freestyle w@nker" when i put a front brake on my bike back in about 82!
after about a month everybody was running one anyway as we spent most of our time hanging round the ramps and halfpipe coz thats where the girls were ::)

kids ::)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Yip. I remember getting grief because I didn't race  ::)

In my eyes the only true all purpose bike there ever was (can only be oldschool) was the Skyway TA.  Everyone loved 'em, they did everything and turned out to be strong as fook...

Jeez, Sir Gerry of Galley was still riding one in the 90's and ripping  ;D

A few years on and the S & M Dirtbike was a popular all rounder, but not super popular as a racer (bit heavy).

After that - dunno really.... :-[

rom_kid_04

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50 PM »
the s+m l.a.f could be used as a race bike its only 4.5 lbs but desighned as a freestyle bike... correct me if im wrong

rom_kid_04

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 09:51 PM »
oh and hidden nations reynolds tubing so it can take a beating and still real light

holeshotter

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 03:07 PM »
Yip. I remember getting grief because I didn't race  ::)

In my eyes the only true all purpose bike there ever was (can only be oldschool) was the Skyway TA.  Everyone loved 'em, they did everything and turned out to be strong as fook...

Jeez, Sir Gerry of Galley was still riding one in the 90's and ripping  ;D

A few years on and the S & M Dirtbike was a popular all rounder, but not super popular as a racer (bit heavy).

After that - dunno really.... :-[

Ahh Damn that's funny!!! That name brings back memories, if only you lot knew.
Does anyone know or have contact details for Gerry Galley. I used to hang with him when he was a kid and I heard he is still riding. I would love to speak with him. Can some one pm me if you have a number or email address.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 10:55 PM »
You need to talk to QUADROPHENIA, he sees him regularly  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

holeshotter

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Nice one will do

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The death of the all purpose BMX ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx