gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  one peice vs 3 peice cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: one peice vs 3 peice cranks  (Read 2860 times)

dannyboy

one peice vs 3 peice cranks
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:48 PM »
wot is the best ?or is it personal preference ???

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: one peice vs 3 peice cranks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:02 AM »
I think it's more to do with what you can afford, as a kid i only ever had one piece. Now apart from one of my old skool bikes i wouldn't dream of riding hard with my fat asš on anything other than 3 piece.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:30 PM »
what bob said

Dave
haro, how do you do

sam hudson

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 04:12 PM »
Like you,i could never afford a three piece but i never had any probs with one piece's.I was always led to believe that three pieces were a bit more fragile than a one piece..spindles rounding etc.But that was because they were made of alloy not cro mo.(the redline ones were cro-mo wernt they?).
My new school se three piece is as hard as nails(and as heavy as a one piece)...i dont think i'll be bending that!!

The-flying-banana

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 04:46 PM »
well i run 3 piece and i must say that you are bound to get into more grief fixing the bleeding things and there's always movement there ??? if they made thermal one piece i'd be back on em ;) no probs actually i see them making a big comeback :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:07 PM »
A decent 3 pc is waaayyy stronger than a one piece. Note I use the word decent - there's a lot of crap out there, beware.  Since I've been back riding I've snapped 3 1pc cranks and as many pedals (smaller axles), but since being able to afford Profiles I've had no further problem (cranks or pedals).  There is no way I'd go back, for me now it's all about strength and reliability - I don't wanna get hurt because my bike broke, I wanna get hurt coz I'm stupid!  :D ;D

Buy a good guaranteed set of cromoly 3pc cranks, read the instructions, assemble everything with copper grease and check and keep it all tight. You will have no problems  ;)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 07:01 PM »
I don't really ride mine but think 3 piece look so much better + what TwoBobRob said.

weston

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 07:06 PM »
the haro fusion 1 piece is very strong for those on a budget...
you can now buy the haro f2's on ebay for under £100 with a 3 piece crank lhd that normally retais at £80 on its own...

oldsky

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 07:36 PM »
A decent three piece every time if your budget allows it. ;)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Twobob said :

I don't wanna get hurt because my bike broke, I wanna get hurt coz I'm stupid!   

You must be in agony Rob  ;D
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Permanently bill,  permanently..... ;)

dannyboy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 11:21 PM »
cheers ill probably leave me one peice on as i only ride my haro freestyler up to me allotment anyway it probably wont be under too much stress ;D ;)

theRuler

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:43 AM »
so long as your 1pc is a chromoly one of a reputable brand, you'll be fine. unless you ride off your shed roof and land stiff legged.
even then it wouldnt snap. i have a bent a few 1pc cranks but they were just steel ones.

1pc cranks can be lighter too, if you are trimming weight.

alloy 3pc are light, but flimsy. well not flimsy but more likely to slip / break.

damn if you can stomp your pedal hard enough to snap it, your ankles must be made of iron!!!

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 09:57 AM »
i think u can round the threads easy on the ali three piece cranks , and my maxycross flexed like a bastuardo. been using profile up until recently, and i dothink that one piece cranks pedal differently...its hard to describe really, but i would go for a decent three.
I want to touch ORB

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 06:12 PM »
so long as your 1pc is a chromoly one of a reputable brand, you'll be fine. unless you ride off your shed roof and land stiff legged.
even then it wouldnt snap. i have a bent a few 1pc cranks but they were just steel ones.

1pc cranks can be lighter too, if you are trimming weight.

alloy 3pc are light, but flimsy. well not flimsy but more likely to slip / break.

damn if you can stomp your pedal hard enough to snap it, your ankles must be made of iron!!!

HIYA!!!!    Old iron-ankles here...... ;D

Dude,  I've snapped 'em... More than one. And feck me it hurts. I've also seen a couple of calf muscles opened right up coz of snapped 1pcs.  :o

You're right about the alloy 3pc,  can be well flimsy and are fcuked after a single ride if owt is loose  ;)

It is fair to say though, that a 1pc will bend before it breaks. Usually!  ;D

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 10:30 PM »
i snapped a one peice at ockendon skatepark rob....and you know how knarly that bowl was

not

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Aye... Hardcore.... :D :P

I broke one at Radlands just jumping off a p!ssy little step - about 2-3 foot, no more. Clump, snap, whack.... My ankle!! Oh the pain, the pain!!!!!

Not really.  Just hurt me foot a bit  ;D

Long way to go just to ride for 1/2 hour though..... >:(

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I once snapped an arm clean off an SR 1pc crank, that was cos i was trying to get a pedal off with a 6ft scaffold pole and a home made spanner with the crank in a vice. lol, that hurt when i fell over.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 03:48 PM »
got a set of redline 3pc BITD and bent them in a week at the pedals, as a result i never used anything but 1pc and had no probs at all, but,,,,,,,,,,since gettin back into it i splashed out on some 2 pinch flights and i love them, they just feel stiffer than 1pc, as for looks, i suppose it depends on what your building, 1pc usualy look better in my eyes on bikes that are built to a correct era of frames parts etc (the kinda builds im not fussed on) but 3pc make an "any part that looks good build" look good basically, so the choice is yours dude, even if you got the cash, go with your heart not with what other people may expect, the more interesting builds are usually a result of mix and match and they all look cool in the end :)

dannyboy

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 07:10 PM »
im well pleased with my old skool ride i got an old super tuff burner and used most of the parts on a haro fs  f&f and fusion pedals and bars i got off here  its just for rideing around and all in cost me around 120 quid

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  one peice vs 3 peice cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx