gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975594 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 05, 2024, 06:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
its OUR era but alot of people seem to be moving on......................I'm not talking about riders, I can understand a new skool to ride/thrash,   but alot of people seem to be moving onto mid skool, new skool etc.

So whats the crack?  Is it cause we live in the UK and most of the decent rides have been done a hundred times? ( if ya look on Vintage they still keep pullng bikes out of there arses !!)

Is it because of the ridiculous prices?  Burners for over 700 squid, icon or not, thats alot of dough !!  :daumenhoch:

Is it simply to look for something fresh that no-ones seen in a while

Or is it RADBMX fashion, people do tend to follow suit here (Not a dig,  I'm one of them)

Discuss  :coolsmiley:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:10 AM by Stace »

rory

Re: Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:59 PM »
i always prefered the mid , could afford them and abused them at the time .
old school was the bikes i wanted when i was young but didnt know why  :)

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:23 AM »
14 Views but only 1 view !!

Come on kids what ya feelins?

highrisedrifter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Well, i'm new back on the scene but I've always preferred old school. I think I always will too.

I've got a new school to ride but I would consider a mid school bike if I found one I like.

HRD

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:41 AM »
I'm all for OLD, mid & new but this is an OLD SKOOL site.  People are shifting there weight (in my humble opinion) & I don't mind at all, in fact I'm in.................I'm just interested in why ?!?!?!

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:59 AM »
Old school has had it, it's passed, dead and buried.  Now give me all your old school bikes especially those gen 1 Haro's, I'll make sure they are taken care of appropriately  >:D  :LolLolLolLol:  :buck2:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

highrisedrifter

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:00 AM »
I must admit, when I, as a brand new member a few months ago said that I was getting a Haro Gen 1 and was going to build it in a Bob Haro replica style, I received a response that said "Oh no. ANOTHER Bob rep". As it happens, I've not got all the bits to do a perfect Bob rep anyway. Meh.

So yeah, you could be right on the build front. Most of the iconic rides have been done many times over. People are still pulling some cracking builds out from nowhere though. There have been some fantastic bikes built up in the last few weeks by RAD members. That gorgeous red & white T/A, the pink Reflex, Harris' VDC, Dave's Torker, Juilan's mind blowing Burner collection to name but a very few.

I think that people will always want to get something fresh built just for that 'Wow factor'. Of course, we only have a finite amount of bikes to play with. Old school means exaclty that... old. If a new bike with new geometry and a different look gets made, it can't be old school by its very name and era of production. It's only natural for people to want to move on and look for something different. Mid school hasn't really been tapped into, as far as I can tell. Maybe that's what people are doing, looking for that elusive forgotten about frame.

No real answer i'm afraid, just a lot of reasonably inexperienced opinion.

HRD

rory

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:03 AM »
maybe bmx has no age  :) :) :)

madall

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Old School for me all the way, just take a look at how every bike looked different and you could more or less tell what it was from 100 metres away, now they all look the same from 10 metres away.

OLD SCHOOL ROCKS!!!!!

2020mad

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:38 AM »
Old school for showing and collecting, new school for riding.  :daumenhoch:

username

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52 AM »
Old school died a death 20 years ago, isn't that it's beauty?

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 02:08 AM »
im getting more pleasure from riding my new school bike than i ever did just sat looking at the old bikes gathering dust.
when i first came on this site you could'nt have gave me a new school bike.
thought they were orrible things.
but after riding one and then getting a top frame and building it up i got the same buzz i got building say my last few old school bikes.plus i can ride it and im not as bothered about dropping it on the floor.
like most say. the oldies are nice to look at and bring back the memories.
but the way prices have gone its got to put people off trying to building the top end bikes most of us seem to go for as they were what most of us wanted as kids.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 06:32 AM »
Couldn't have put it better myself mate.....although i still hate dropping my newie!  the paint finish is so good i'd hate to chip it  :crazy2:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 06:47 AM »
I just like bmx  :D

I like to build em, ride em, fall off em. I love em all equally and would have 1 of everything if I could........well nearly everything, I object to overpriced durge as seen on the bay in recent months, but  :wtf: its your collection  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

zed4130

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 06:57 AM »
i dont mind dropping my nuschool its a right street urchin anyway ,it looks better with a few more scratches  ;)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 08:06 AM »
I love it all; old, mid, new, riding, collecting, the mags, the people. It's all good to me.  :daumenhoch:

crusty

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 08:08 AM »
one of the things i liked about old school was how we customised our bikes to try and be different
i wouldn't copy bobs haro because thats bobs i might take some ideas off bikes i like but put my own twist on them
my bike was a way of expressing myself(until i discovered i could do other things to myself,nudge nudge,wink wink)
mind you i had a baby pink pk ripper with dark pink landing gears white tuffs white uni turbo
so i don't know what i was trying to express with that
in short old scool for me but your own thumb print

zed4130

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 08:16 AM »
i think nuschool is the same trying to make the bike abit different  :daumenhoch: its never changed in my eyes ,ive allways changed my bike bits ,colour etc   :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 08:16 AM »
build them all,i dont mind anything bike wise, any year make or model its all a pleasure thing for me.
on the benches at the minuite  3 from  1980s    mid 90s   and a 2004  so it can be mixed up nicely.
remember in the 80s it wasnt as good as our memories remember.we are now building good memories for
the future .

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 08:23 AM »
i think new school bikes are utility bikes, the old schoolers were real fashion items in the haydays.
ding dong

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I love it all; old, mid, new, riding, collecting, the mags, the people. It's all good to me.  :daumenhoch:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
wot he said  :coolsmiley:

i think nuschool is the same trying to make the bike abit different  :daumenhoch: its never changed in my eyes ,ive allways changed my bike bits ,colour etc   :daumenhoch:

REALLY???? can I see some pics please?  :LolLolLolLol:

:) DINGO :)

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I don't know much about any of the bikes of each era but I'm more familiar with 80's bikes and think asthetically, they are nicer.  When I went to see Bob_Acid, had a little trundle on his new school Ripper and that was really nice, very smooth, so I would buy a new school but still love the 80's bikes.

Steve_W

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 11:00 AM »
For me, I say keep a foot in  the past, but recognise the current and future.  I don't have any old bikes, but I am thinking of building one up as a project over time.  But, I have to say, it all boils down to time.  I have to work a 60 hour week just to pay the bills, plus I'm in a new house (I mean new to me, not a new build), and that needs a shedload of work doing to it, plus I got 2 anklebiters that I wanna spend loads of time with, so I'm afraid I just don't have the time!

Last week I managed to get out and ride 3 times, on my Standard STA, which I bought second hand, and it's covered in scratches, and some spokes are bolloxed, but the buzz I get from riding a bike, ANY bike is just the best.  It's been ace going through the BMX museum, talking in here for all the old stuff, looking at builds etc, and I think it's ace that there are so many old bikes that have been done up to look the nuts...I just don't reallistically think I'll have any spare time to do it, except maybe when I retire!

I was talking to Stace about getting an old f & f and starting a build just last night, and one thing we spoke about was the fact that there are a lot of Street Beats around, so it's not going to be that special if you build one up, BUT, the fact remains it's a great bike, and looks lovely when done.  It's hard to build a bike that's going to be a combination of bits from the time they came out, but with your own stamp on it...I mean there are a lot of people in here who quite rightly want to get the bike as exact as it can be to one particular model that was out in the past.  There's nothing wrong with that at all, and I've realised I'm rambling and can't remember what I was going to write!

Anyway, if I do build an old school bike, I'll do my best to make sure it's as near as possible to what it was back in the day, but I'm sure as hell gonna ride it, and won't be stressing about geting scratches on it, denting or buckling it! 

That's it, I'm all out of concentration!  Interesting thread, nice 1 Stace!

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 01:05 PM »
for me i love building the old school bikes, the hunt for the bits, getting a buzz when i find that elusive part.....but having ridden both old school bikes and new school since ive been back riding i would say that new school is deffo the thing to ride.

building the replicas,....mmm...dont know, i guess its a thing from being a teenager looking thru the mags and thinking i'd love to have that bike....usually bob haros gen 1.....well now i do....ok its not his actual bke, even he doesnt own that.....i think its almost like preserving a snap shot of a bmx hero but in the flesh/metal.
i dunno

but its all bmx....build, collect ride what the fook you want, and if it seems to be following a trend, so what, if it makes you happy then thats it.

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Its all good

I mean how many haro reps are there?

and look at other collections , replicas , how many General Lees are there ? how many storm trooper costumes, KITs etc etc

its up to the individual as to how they proceed with a build , i mean its is as Dave says whatever makes you happy.

Prices of parts will freeze a lot of people out of collecting , but thats the nature of the beast I am afraid,in fact all of us collectors caused it so you and me only have ourselves to blame LOL

Its obviously a great sport and old school collecting is just one way of enjoying BMX ,its relatively new to the mix , and who knows where it will end up, but its been damb fun so far  :daumenhoch:

Rich

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has old skool been done to death ?? .........................

gfxgfx
gfx gfx