gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 02:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  seat post - chrome to white
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: seat post - chrome to white  (Read 607 times)

aeroyal

seat post - chrome to white
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:18 PM »
hey fella's, i need a white seat post . . i have plenty of nos chrome ones . .

i presume powdering is a bit ott for a seat post , plus the extra depth of paint etc . .

i was thinking of spraying one, but what would be the best prep for the seat post to ensure a good job is done ?

cheers

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 02:31 PM by aeroyal »

brettnai

Re: seat post - chrome to white
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:36 PM »
I'm in exactly the same boat mate! so interested to know what people suggest.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:44 PM »
What ever happens you will mark the paint when the post is put in the frame. I've tried both methods in the past. Powder coat is normally too thick and regular spray paint chips off and/or scratches easily ... especially when applied over chrome

The best method is to determine how high you want your seat and paint the post above that insertion line  :daumenhoch:

Steve

aeroyal

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:53 PM »
cheers steve,

i was thinking same thing . .

def agree regarding seat post height etc. . 

i wonder what type/grade  of sanding to the post would allow the paint to bond better and also not hamper the  finish  ?

gt0733

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:44 AM »
scuff the chrome up with 300 grit then spray on some etch primer. sand that with some 800 grit wet and dry paper to baby bum smooth then put your white on. this won't stop it scratching going into the frame but it will help the top coat bond better.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  seat post - chrome to white

gfxgfx
gfx gfx