gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 08:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  U Brake Plate
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: U Brake Plate  (Read 823 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
U Brake Plate
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Bit of advice please lads and lasses.

I need to retro fit a U brake on the front of bike I bought because the standard brake on it isn't up to the job. The standard bike was designed without a front brake so there's no fittings on the front forks for a U brake. Some of you very kindly gave me some advice on which brake to get but I'm un-decided on the U plate I need. Sorry to be a pain but I like to get things right first time instead of dic*ing about and getting things wrong.

I know Tektro do one but I'm struggling to find anyone in the UK who has them. Is the one below any good or do you know any better alternatives.

Thanks in advance fellas.

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsdn-u-plate
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

SaMAlex

Re: U Brake Plate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:48 PM »
That one will be fine. The cut aways at the bottom and the pipe clips will reduce the flex but also make it look more bulky and more to get in the way. Im not sure a thick plate flexes that much for it to be a problem anyway so any of them will be fine, there's not much to it.

Forks with mounts on them are better cos of zero flex and a much neater look but any of those plates are fine.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:52 PM »
yes they will work fine
they do tent to move from left to right so
keep them nipped up.
also i have just started drilling my brake plates
as they are so heavy.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:14 AM »
My one worked fine for about 5 minutes......then is back to being pants!  but i think it's the black front rim that is causing it  >:(  think i might have to invest in a shiny chrome one  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:03 PM »
My one worked fine for about 5 minutes......then is back to being pants!  but i think it's the black front rim that is causing it  >:(  think i might have to invest in a shiny chrome one  :daumenhoch:

Sorry to hear it stoped working. Try diferent blocks, but a chrome rim will make a world of diference.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Yeah...it's not the brake mate, that fine and dandy  :daumenhoch:  i'm looking at a chrome front whell on the gay bay but what's a Bolt through hub like??  don't know much about them?  would i need special drop outs?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:30 PM »
i run a few sets of bolt through hubs are fine 10 an 14mm no special dropout needed. 3/8 not so sure about

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:37 PM »
Cool....i don't suppose you got a chrome front wheel going cheap do you mate?  :daumenhoch:

darkersomeday

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 07:41 PM »
i've got a u-brake plate you can have for free

darkersomeday

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 02:49 PM »
posted this am mr flatcap,

donate the £2 postage cost to radbmx,

hope it works!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Your a gentleman my friend and your kindness is greatly appreciated. A donation will follow which will be more than the £2 postage as a token of my appreciation and also because I would hate to see it go away. I've only been coming on here a short while and I love it .

Thanks again mate.

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  U Brake Plate

gfxgfx
gfx gfx