gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 01:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  faded tuff restoration
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: faded tuff restoration  (Read 3202 times)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: faded tuff restoration
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 03:10 PM »
And put the freezer in the oven.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 09:21 PM »
And the oven into the washing machine  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

cbrgil

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 10:28 PM »
This is the method i found best and i've tried several different ways:

1. lay wheel flat and apply a liberal coat of "Cif" bathroom moose (available at Wilkinsons, Co-Op, Tesco's, etc) to each side of the wheels and allow to foam up for about a minute.

2. Then scrub away like merry hell using brillo-pads and loads of elbow grease making sure you really get into all the nooks and cranny's

3. Once you have done this on both sides of the wheels repeat step 1 and 2 just to make sure.

4. Wash/hose them down with warm water and allow to dry naturally.

5. *This is very important and there is no substitute*, use "Auto-Glym" Bumper-care and rub it into the wheels using a slightly damp cloth while making sure you get a nice even coat on both sides, allow to dry for about five-ten minutes and buff off using a dry cloth, (repeat if necessary). The bumber care rejuvinates the colour and voila  ;)

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 01:12 PM »
hey mark you dont know what ya on about mate ;)

danny

Superkav

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Guys you must love making hard work for yourself and destroying Skyways by heating and sanding them :idiot2:

...but I also understand that you can't possibly go to www.raleighburner.com to get the 'How to' as it would ruin your street cred  ;)so being the lovely chap I am, I did it for you.

Firstly give your wheel a good scrub to get rid of the crud it's accumulated over the last 20 years.

Remove the axle, cups, bearing etc from both wheels.

Find a bucket with a base at least 20" wide to accomodate your wheels.

**Good Optional Tip**

If you have a dishwasher, whack them in it on a SUPER HOT wash, if you don't  then give the wheels a few hours in bleach first to remove any oxidisation that hand scrubbing just cant get rid of.

1 Put your wheel in the bucket
2 Fill with the hottest water you can get until the wheel is fully submerged
3 Let it soak for a while to 'open up the pores' 
4 Add two tins of Dylon Multipurpose dye in the colour of your choice. (£1.50 per tin)

*NB*If you are dyeing an old white wheel a different colour YOU MUST go through the bleaching process until it is minty fresh to ensure even colouring during the dyeing process*NB*

5 Add plenty of salt according to the manufacturers instructions (plus a bit more) to ensure the colour REALLY takes hold.
6 Stir the wheel in the water every couple of minutes, turn the wheel over after 10 minutes and continue stirring until the dyeing time is up.
7 Remove the wheel from the bucket, rinse with cold water and allow to dry naturally
8 Step back and admire your handywork

Superkav

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 04:52 PM by Superkav »

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 05:17 PM »
thats it...desert dust set of skyways for me tonight......
I want to touch ORB

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  faded tuff restoration

gfxgfx
gfx gfx