gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 01:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shimano xt brake on bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: shimano xt brake on bmx  (Read 927 times)

workshyfop

shimano xt brake on bmx
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:16 PM »
before i buy one, any one able to clarify if an xt v brake (one with the linkages) will fit on a 05 PK  Ripper okay?
also, if anyone has used one of these and the new DXR v brake, any feedback would be appreciated. many thanks, Neil

darkersomeday

Re: shimano xt brake on bmx
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:23 PM »
yes , its a v-type brake so will work on your 05 ripper,

shimano product is the devils work.

check out the odyssey A-brakes on e-bay now, the guys selling them proper cheap and in lots of different colours,
seriously good brake, the arms angle inwards matching the seastays rather than sticking out and catching your legs like the shitmano will,

the dxr's are just old cheap deores that are silver! way to go shimano! w.a.n.k.e.r.s :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:24 PM »
i have a cheap tektro v brake on my ripper, and it works really well.
and it has a simple no-frills design

Lazarou

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I'd go for the A brake, i've used these for years with no problems...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/odyssey-A-brake-red_W0QQitemZ130126146508QQihZ003QQcategoryZ27949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He's got different colours £5.99! Alans want £20! I've picked up a couple of spares.

workshyfop

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:29 PM »
thanks for the replys there chaps. just ordered an a brake off that ebay link. thanks for the advice DSD and Laz. cheers, Neil.

bof

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:34 PM »
I may be wrong but I dont think shimanos are designed for 1.75 rims, mine seems to stick out a mile and looks sh1tty in my opinon, but maybe i havent set it up properly.

darkersomeday

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 01:10 AM »
I may be wrong but I dont think shimanos are designed for 1.75 rims, mine seems to stick out a mile and looks sh1tty in my opinon, but maybe i havent set it up properly.

you could try swapping the spacers on the pads for thinner ones, it might bring the arms together a little,

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 05:36 PM »
another good point with the A brake is the cable can be used on boths sides :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

bof

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Ive tried that DSD but all to no avail.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 07:08 PM »

did you put the tension spring in the middle hole on the brake lug?
 :) DINGO :)

bof

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:23 PM »
yes indeed, mrdingo I sure did

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 08:36 PM »
Hey DSD.

I have heard some of the stuff you have said about DC shoes, the current SE, and some other companies to, and on the whole, I kinda agree with what you are saying. You seem to be saying similar things about shimano. I know they are mainly an MTB company (and they make fishing stuff), but what is wrong with them? Im just asking, cos Ive not heard this kind of thing toward them so there might be some background I dont know.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 09:02 PM »
yes indeed, mrdingo I sure did

I run Shimano brakes on my Quad 24 (XTR) Neal Wood (XT) and my Dingo (Deore) and they all work/look fine, show us a piccy of your setup Bof

Hey DSD.

I have heard some of the stuff you have said about DC shoes, the current SE, and some other companies to, and on the whole, I kinda agree with what you are saying. You seem to be saying similar things about shimano. I know they are mainly an MTB company (and they make fishing stuff), but what is wrong with them? Im just asking, cos Ive not heard this kind of thing toward them so there might be some background I dont know.

Shimano dropped BMX when it went out of "fashion" Alex and only now are they making a BMX specific groupset (DXR) and funnily enough it co-incides with BMX being included in the Olympics in Bejing in 2008 so a lot of people believe they are jumping on the bandwagon

:) DINGO :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shimano xt brake on bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx