gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 03:01 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Why do rechromed frames always show the nickel by b/b?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why do rechromed frames always show the nickel by b/b?  (Read 761 times)

mark 2

Why do rechromed frames always show the nickel by b/b?
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Hiya.....Now is it just down to bad prep work because my chromer always says he can't get the polishing wheel in there so on the job he's doing for me now he's recommended that he'll de-plate it first and for me to do a hand job and wet n dry the rear quarter (keeps the price down a bit too) before he gets the rest of it polished and plated. Is this nickel showing b/b area that I usually see on re-chromed bikes from a lack of polishing in that bit or something else?

I thank you :coolsmiley:
mark

Frosty

Re: Why do rechromed frames always show the nickel by b/b?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Most of the chromers will remove existing plating before applying new, but I guess you are right about the prep work in between plating. The problem I have is that I have been sending my stuff up north to be plated and I'm down in Essex so can't do the prep without incurring additional expense of shipping home and then back up again for new plate!

I do have some stuff due back from platers hopefully next week so I'll post up pics then too.

selfpreservation

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38 PM »
just a thought but isnt the bb thicker metal than the rest mabe it has more electricla resistance than the rest

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:05 AM »
just a thought but isnt the bb thicker metal than the rest mabe it has more electricla resistance than the rest

I think thats about right  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

mark 2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Clever buggers...from what I've come across though it's rechromed bikes I've noticed it on but original chrome is alright. So if the b/b thickness was the problem would it not be a common sight on un-restored chrome?

selfpreservation

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 02:30 AM »
Clever buggers...from what I've come across though it's rechromed bikes I've noticed it on but original chrome is alright. So if the b/b thickness was the problem would it not be a common sight on un-restored chrome?
produced on a line which is specific to the product rather than bespoke items , ever noticed that the bb is always the first place to go on chrome hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:13 AM »
i've got a mate that has big old yank motors and he uses the London Chroming co. Top dollar but pukka finish. has anyone used them for a frame?

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 05:22 PM »
ive been told the goldy areas is  whats called 'nickel blast' its something to do with the shape of the anodes and diodes used in the process, it can be done, but the chromer would have to buy in a special shaped anode for the bb area, costing bout £500 ,so therefore not many platers will do this for one offs. however, bitd, when everythin was plated, the platers would have these anodes as standard, i bet theres loads knockin round in the states, maybe a big corp' could be the answer and we could them to each other? hope this helps, cheers fog.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:26 PM »
i was gonna say even the lower end bikes bitd had good chrome jobs on them.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:30 PM »
yep, even the old viceroys from bitd had very good chrome, cheers fog.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:34 PM »
its to do with arcing around prob areas
we used to make special jigs when i worked
for a chromers and powder coaters bitd
thats why it doesnt work around the bottom bracket
and in the gussets of bikes like diamond backs and stuff

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Why do rechromed frames always show the nickel by b/b?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx