gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 10:48 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Harry Leary Turbo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Harry Leary Turbo  (Read 8563 times)

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Harry Leary Turbo
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 09:30 PM »
1984 batch C build 41 (second edition HL)

Baseball = Koisumi Japan

:daumenhoch:

Leary, developed by Harry and Sandy and based upon the Senior Pro. Harry was nicknamed Turbo because at the start of his career he wasn't that successful, then he started powering up to top finishing positions (turbo power).

:)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:33 PM by sparky »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

kevin rettie

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Thanks Sparky, good to know these things. :daumenhoch:

Lazychubs, oxy acid ok? Do I just follow the instructions posted on the site as if it was a frame and forks or does the solution have to be weaker or the rims left in shorter?   :-\

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Thanks Sparky, good to know these things. :daumenhoch:

Lazychubs, oxy acid ok? Do I just follow the instructions posted on the site as if it was a frame and forks or does the solution have to be weaker or the rims left in shorter?   :-\

contact Blindstuntman on here, he has a couple of Turbos and a proto Turbo frame
He knows a bit about them  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

Frosty

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 10:10 AM »
Kevin,

Don't put the chrome rims in the acid.

It will damage the ally. Just use some chrome cleaner or brasso (the wadding type - that's my top tip)

Paul

kevin rettie

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Thanks Paul, I thought the rims were some sort of alloy but wasn't sure on how strong the oxy was.

Will take some before and after shots so you can all see. :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 05:42 PM »
kevin i wish i could help you clean that demon up, i dont know why but i fookin love it, you are really lucky to have such a bike and please get some pics up when its cleaned :smitten:

kevin rettie

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Pumped up the tyres and went for a blast in the sunshine earlier...WOW! transported back 20 odd years. Might just have to find a local track and see if the old body can do what the mind tells it.  :daumenhoch:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 11:32 PM »
Pumped up the tyres and went for a blast in the sunshine earlier...WOW! transported back 20 odd years. Might just have to find a local track and see if the old body can do what the mind tells it.  :daumenhoch:

Nice One ...Thats the spirit  :daumenhoch:  And so it begins  :D

greentoad

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Quality Ride and Parts

:daumenhoch:

First time i've seen a good condition 18" Renthal for ages.

Don't go and drop it down to low and scratch it though, I do have a shorter NOS silver Renthal post if you're interested in swapping  :D.

Profile Spider looks great condition too - you sure you raced it  ;)

J.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:31 PM by greentoad »

krettie

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 11:49 PM »
Struggling to attach images, but when I get the technology to do so, I will post up some history of the bike. This'll prove it's pedigree as a racer!! :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:08 AM by krettie »

teamsano

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2007, 12:56 AM »
i remember you and your bro racing bitd, is that a jive sticker on the toptube?

kevin rettie

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Frosty, thanks for the tip...the brasso worked a treat on the front rim  :daumenhoch:, back rim condition is not great so could be a bit sketchy. Is there any way to treat the flecks of chrome that are peeling?

Teamsano - did we ever race each other? You still racing?, whats the scene like in Scotland at the moment? Yes it is a jive sticker - picked up at a sticker scramble (I think at Tamworth) when they were just starting off.

Frosty

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Kevin,

I think the peeling chrome is going to be a problem, either get it sent to a chromer who can remove and re-plate of start looking for an orphan rim. Glad the Brasso worked :daumenhoch:

kevin rettie

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 11:08 PM »
Finally stripped it down today for a re-grease in preparation for next weeks old school race in Glasgow and will hopefully post some pics of it in bits later in the week. Now that I have started I will hopefully get the bit between my teeth and make a good effort at completing it as soon as possible.

To keep me ahead of myself I need some help with a few things...

1. Where can I get some acid for the rusty chrome? After the acid bath do i need to do anything else, use any other products on the chrome?

2. What is the best way of stripping off the smoke chrome? It looks pretty good in places but where I have stripped the stickers it looks a wee bit scruffy. Is nitromors the best bet? Hopefully scrape the cash together to have it re-sprayed in the new year.

3. Wheres the best place to have the stem re-chromed? Will I need to strip it or does the chromer do it? Do you recon I could have the same guy do the rims? The front one is not so bad but the rear one has a bit of a flaky skin condition...

4. How best to polish the renthal seatpost? Also anyone know where I can get a new sticker from, original is pretty faded.

Probably some dumbass questions there that have been answered a million times over but would appreciate any help offered, Ta  :daumenhoch:

scary_leary

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 06:47 AM »

Use nitromors on the smoke finish (just falls off)
Just send the stem to a trusted chromer.. mine stem was fooked, chromer did all the work
need to be delicate when re-polishing not to polish the writing away, as it is only softish alloy.

heres mine after refurb: cost around 45quid (3years ago)

kevin rettie

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2007, 07:48 AM »
That is quality mate :smitten:, thanks for that....got the details of the chromer?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Harry Leary Turbo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx