gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  training for a new job HELP (welding etc)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: training for a new job HELP (welding etc)  (Read 1358 times)

zed4130

training for a new job HELP (welding etc)
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:52 PM »
in nearly 2 weeks time i give up my job to look after the kids, so angie can go back to work full time, she loves her job, and it pays well, ive decided as im off to re-train , im going to do a graphic desighn course, plus learn welding, as i want to make frames, probs for myself, and the odd retro one ,  :daumenhoch: ive got a freing who is a master welder, plus another freind who is a good welder, so ive plenty of help there, i know most things about frame geometry etc, but any extra help will be great, thanks guys and gals for any help  :daumenhoch:

mattbus

Re: training for a new job HELP (welding etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55 PM »
can't offer any advice, but i am in the same boat, going back to college in 2 weeks to get my city and guilds in electrical installation.
all i can say is good luck and stick at it buddy :daumenhoch:

zed4130

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:57 PM »
can't offer any advice, but i am in the same boat, going back to college in 2 weeks to get my city and guilds in electrical installation.

:daumenhoch: you too mate, its abit odd going back to school  ??? i never went butd   :LolLolLolLol:  now i love learning new things   :4_17_5:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:58 PM »
Good luck lads  :daumenhoch:

Paul :Great_Britain:

mattbus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:58 PM »
i know what you mean.
i met my classmates for the first time in july and i must be 20yrs older than them :shocked:
whos the daddy!!!!!!!?  lol

oh yeah, just thought of some advice: don't touch the metal till it's cooled down :2funny:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:05 PM »

What are you doing Matt? 2381?

:) DINGO :)

mattbus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:26 PM »
no mate it's the 2330 now, thankfully i've heard it's been watered down so it's easier to pass, and will be 17th edition by the time i finish

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:32 PM »
I have been a spark for 20 years and did 2391 recently, hard as fook it is  :2gunsfiring_v1: but 2330 sets you up well apparently, good luck with it  :daumenhoch:

mattbus

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:35 PM »
cheers dingo.
i heard unofficially that todays teens would never pass the old style exams so it had to be changed, same asd the GCSE's and A levels i suppose :idiot2:

sorry for hijacking the thread Zed :-[
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:39 PM by mattbus »

highrisedrifter

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:51 PM »
I can't offer any advice but I can offer encouragement.

Good luck lads. You'll be fine.

HRD

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 10:26 PM »
good luck guys,and paul dont forget to wear a mask when welding ;D or you will end up looking like dale winton ;D
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Good luck with whatever you decide to do Paul  :daumenhoch:

Gary..

Welding frames up sounds great  :smitten:

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:43 PM »
theres no point in me giving a load of speil about welding if you already know people who do it. but in terms of frame geometry, honestly, and this might sound bias as i've rode there frames for 11 years but check out standards website for angles. there pretty much spot on, which is why all the frames have the same angles and only differ in lengths to give a different feel. shorter back end will give better snap for speed and also balance for manuals etc. shorter front end will be more whippy for park/tech riding and a longer front end will be nicer in the air over trails with more stability. make sure you get a good jig for holding the tubes and keepit basic to start off with. i.e. don't worry about top tube lengths like 20.625 or 20.85. keep it to 20, 20.5, or 21 it'll be easier to replicate! one thing that is definately worth thinking about for the style of frame is center of bb to center of toptube. with todays current climate of riding style (all about whiptastic) these days that length is getting shorter so the frame doesn't impede! a good company to look at for this is mirraco. the difference between mirras blend and guettlers black pearl to give different styles of riding.

hope some of this has helped a bit!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:16 AM »
Paul, you will come through on top, I can imagine the crazy frames your gonna make  :2funny:

Matt, I went to college to do cg 236 and nvq 2360 at the age of 28. I found it bloodt hard to do, the practical was easy, but the theory, especially the maths was super hard.. But I managed it, and despite the difference in ages I made 3 very good friends while I was there, and to this day we are still great mates.. One bit of advice I will give you, once you back into learning make sure you dont leave a long gap before you do the 2391 inspection course. Employers love you having that.. :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 06:40 AM »
Paul, you will come through on top, I can imagine the crazy frames your gonna make  :2funny:

Matt, I went to college to do cg 236 and nvq 2360 at the age of 28. I found it bloodt hard to do, the practical was easy, but the theory, especially the maths was super hard.. But I managed it, and despite the difference in ages I made 3 very good friends while I was there, and to this day we are still great mates.. One bit of advice I will give you, once you back into learning make sure you dont leave a long gap before you do the 2391 inspection course. Employers love you having that.. :daumenhoch:

2391 is the hardest thing I have ever done exam wise, I am awaiting the results any day now, practical was easy but theory and maths is rock hard.
Thing is our lecturer said the course and exam is designed for you to FAIL??? because they dont want loads of people passing it
what a swizz?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:43 AM by Dingobmxer »

zed4130

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:59 AM »
thanks guys for all the kind words and advice, ive wanted to do this for years, and now i have the chance im going for it , and ratty mate your right about weird ideas  :daumenhoch: you should see some of my frame desighns

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Paul, knowing how creative you are, and what a fooking lunatic you are, I can see some truly radical stuff coming our way!!!

Dingo, I did my 2391 the same time as my 16th, bloody hard work, and only 10 out of 30 odd passed. Bloody con is right.....
A long time ago, in a land far away!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  training for a new job HELP (welding etc)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx