gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 03:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  powder coating HOW MUCH ?!?!?!?!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: powder coating HOW MUCH ?!?!?!?!?  (Read 1876 times)

ash

powder coating HOW MUCH ?!?!?!?!?
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:04 PM »
how much have you guys paid for powder coating?
does it vary on bulk orders or what colour you choose ?
eg. is white cheeper?
i just dont want to get ripped off!!"
i'm looking at getting six F+F and bars done as a bulk order but no one will give me a price over the phone >:(
any advice / experiences would be appreciated

yours faithfully
ash 

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: powder coating HOW MUCH ?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:12 PM »
Ash

I am picking up a frame forks and rims today, the powdercoater sorted all the preparation work (eg media blasting) and it is in gloss white and it will cost me £50.   He has never charged me any more for different colours.  Frame and forks alone is usually £40.

winnit93

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 12:17 PM »
ive got frame forks and bars arriving 2day from herefordshire.i told then i do quite a few of these so they opened me a trade account.dont know how much yet will let u know when it arrives.thay have enclosed a colour chart aswell.they do gloss,metalflake and dayglow colours.i always get the blasting done first,so i can check for damage get frame numbers,but some powdercoaters like to do that themselves.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 01:30 PM »
I have mine done by a local firm who really only do industrial stuff (light fittings etc), but the gaffer there normally does mine and he's good. He charges me about £40 per f&f set (I say about because if I take odds & ends in as well as a frameset, it's still £40), but I have to get it prep'ed first.

The guy I have media blast my stuff is a different kettle of fish. I never really know, in truth, what I'm going to pay until I pick the stuff up. When I take the stuff it's either 'I'll phone you with a price' or 'about this much'. Then when I pick it up, it can be a completely different price. The last time I went I had 2 framesets and a couple of small bits done for £25.

In total, I reckon on £50 for a frameset, colour no object so long as they're not candy's (these are extra).

sam hudson

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:39 PM »
What is media blasting then?? I take it,it doesnt involve throwing Journalists at the frame?? ::)
Seriously...what is it?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Media Blasting is just the modern way of saying Sand Blasting.  Reason being they don't use sand much anymore, things like sharp pieces of plastic and crushed up walnut shells are used instead.

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 09:11 PM »
My powdercoater charges £30 to blast, prep and paint  ;D

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Speak to Superbike Dan on this forum.  He's a powdercoater. A bloody good one. Not dear.  ;)

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 08:19 AM »
i pay around 30/35 per frame and forks they strip prep and paint in all colours.bit more for the metallic type though .

bigtimerob

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 12:46 PM »
my friend own's a powder coaters.
you guy's are being ripped off. if you get some bulk orders in i'll get them done on the cheap!!!
wallnut shell's ( is this guy a monkey or what ) you need a good bead blast then vapourising....

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36 PM »
I don't know first hand if many sand/media blast companies use Walnut shells, but what I do know is that Walnut shells and rice have been used for years as a cleaning media in the Gas Turbine industry to clean dirt deposits off the compressor blades. It's not so prevalent now, but they were both used so I could understand if media blasting companies used them as well.

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 04:55 PM »
hey bigtime are my freestylist forks ready yet :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

bigtimerob

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 05:09 PM »
I'll find out tomorrow...

ash

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 11:45 PM »
bigtime YOU GOT MAIL

bigtimerob

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 07:57 PM »
stripping etc will all be done at his premises. i'll need to know what colour and finish you want,(powder or stove enamaled). i'm up in Wigan. could arrange pick up but you would have to take delivery so you could check them before you pay... let me know or leave message.......ROB

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 10:54 PM »
just got these back from big time rob they have been striped and powderd in white and cost not a penny as tester so il use im again in the future .thanks big time
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Just picked up my DP today from the powder coaters, looks perfect from the quick check I gave it before going to work. £20 but I preped it, the guy is sound. He does all the colours under the sun, took my GT in just to match the blue and he had around 20 different shades of blue. I am going to let them blast the GT next time and see how it turns out, he is also looking into getting me a Die to do the fork threads, good lad. Its in Wales if that's any help to any of you lot.  :santa_wink:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  powder coating HOW MUCH ?!?!?!?!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx