gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 08:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help on powdercoating needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help on powdercoating needed  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Help on powdercoating needed
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I am looking to get a frame powdercoated. The frame is aluminium, virtually brand new and is already painted with the stickers on.

1) Does the frame have to be stripped down to the aluminium base or can I just remove the stickers and get it powdercoated over the existing paint?

2) If it does have to be stripped who is best placed to do this: me or the powdercoater and how hard is it to do?

3) What is the best way to remove the stickers?

4) What kind of  approx cost am I looking at?

Oviously I am going to speak to some powdercoating companies soon but I just wanted to go with some basic knowledge so I dont look like a complete tw8t! :-[

Sanmarcopizza

Re: Help on powdercoating needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:42 PM »
I am no expert, but will offer my opinion. Powder coat needs to be applied to bare metal so the existing paint will need to be removed. I also think that the surface needs to be "Keyed" i.e not smooth, so the powder can adhere to it. The normal process for this on steel frames is to media blast. This is where beads of plastic or metal (possibly ceramic materials ?) are fired at the frame under pressure. Most powder coaters offer this service. I am unsure whether this id done to alluminium frames, but guess a soft media can be used so the metal isn't destroyed. I guess you could strip with paint stripper and key the frame with sandpaper. If the frame is to be media blasted then it needs to be de-greased, and possibly have the decals removed so that the media doesn't get all sticky. Use a hair dryer to warm the decals and thus soften the adhesive, and peal the decals off. I normally use something like WD40 sprayed onto the residue, leave it for a short while and then rub with a finger and it normally rubs off. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will add to this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 01:43 PM by Sanmarcopizza »

aditup

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:35 PM »
You're about right there San. The old paint must be removed, both outside the tubes and inside, or it "bleeds" onto the new colour. Paint stripper, emery tape and degreaser is what I use. ALWAYS Prep yourself, is what I say. The old saying; P1ss poor preperation, leads to p1ss poor performance. Don't trust it to someone else, they will cut corners. The cost, if you prepare it yourself, about £40 for F+F and bars. ;) Ad

daz bmx it!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:32 PM »
I have a chrome frame which i want a pukka job doing on,is it the same process for chrome or different? ???  cheers :)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:12 PM »
superbikedan on here is a powdercoater pm him and he will put things straight for ya

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:13 PM »
Ad, when you say remove the paint from inside the tubes do you mean in the BB and headtube??

aditup

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:18 AM »
I would say, yes. As I have had at least 2 which have "bled" through from the inside. Obviously, if the frame was, lets say, red before, then you powder it black, then it will not bleed thru, but if it was red, then you powder it white (which I have done twice), Then it does bleed thru. Just my experience. Like I said before, prep is the main thing, if you got it to do again, then its a right pain in the 4ss. Ad

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 06:39 PM »
my coaters blast and dip every frame i give then so its clean and prepped ready for powder .so i dont have to take decals or owt off .he charges around 30/40 depending on colour for frame and forks .i think thats reasonable .inc stripping and everything .

he hates doing chrome as the chrome he says should be stripped to powder it and when he blasts it all the chrome doesnt come off .hence he doesnt like doing them.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 08:05 PM »
i juust take the stickers off and take it in, they prepare it for the same price, one thing you must must do is degrease it dude, get it all off every bit or will be sorry

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help on powdercoating needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx