gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 09:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  YES BMX - are there any restored?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: YES BMX - are there any restored?  (Read 9750 times)

james1973

YES BMX - are there any restored?
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Always liked the graphics on these, wondered if there were any still around?

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: YES BMX - are there any restored?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:17 PM »
lazychubs had a cruiser one not long back.
think he sold it.

not seen many 20".

dave the bmxing gypo

darkslider

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:27 PM »
Are they still going as a helmet and MX gear manufacturer,something to do with Sparco who make race-seats,helmets,harnesses and the like? And were they made in U.K. and U.S.? :-\

wildwood1971

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:56 PM »
i used to live round the corner from yes - can't belive i totally forgot about them being there - i had a yes helmet and race gear as it was good quality and cheep if i remember - they became motorcyclecity if i remember correctly or were bought out for the premises and became motorcycle city can't remember but im sure someone will correct me.  :daumenhoch:

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:28 PM »
two kids who lived near me had matching yes 20" bikes - one with blue parts and blue tuffs, the other with red parts and red arayas.
I have a new in the packet Yes BMX chainring, spider and bolts combo....

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50 PM »
yep sold mine on ebay for half of what i paid for it lol

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:41 AM »
i used to live round the corner from yes - can't belive i totally forgot about them being there - i had a yes helmet and race gear as it was good quality and cheep if i remember - they became motorcyclecity if i remember correctly or were bought out for the premises and became motorcycle city can't remember but im sure someone will correct me.  :daumenhoch:

Yes was a brand adopted by motorcycle city when they had their bandwagon cashing in shop City BMX,
they just used one of the empty shopfronts that were owned by motorcycle city as they owned most of that stretch of Lynchford road
the 2 guys that worked in there were Paul Grumley & Dave Holloway
their main riders were racer Harvey Munkton (sp?) and freestyler my riding buddy Jason Nash  :daumenhoch:
after BMX slowed down they justt closed the shop up & Paul & Dave just went back into the clothing & accessory shop of shitty city  ::) 

i still live close to there now

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 04:19 PM »

Yes was a brand adopted by motorcycle city when they had their bandwagon cashing in shop City BMX,
they just used one of the empty shopfronts that were owned by motorcycle city as they owned most of that stretch of Lynchford road
the 2 guys that worked in there were Paul Grumley & Dave Holloway
their main riders were racer Harvey Munkton (sp?) and freestyler my riding buddy Jason Nash  :daumenhoch:
after BMX slowed down they justt closed the shop up & Paul & Dave just went back into the clothing & accessory shop of shitty city  ::) 

i still live close to there now

Isn't that near North Camp?  Got my Race Inc from there bitd, they didn't want to know when it cracked  :(.  I rode a few times with Jason Nash down at a really rad jump spot at Hawley Lakes and another spot at the tank ranges; can't remember where but was in woods not far from Hawley.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

retrogeezer

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I know those places Marty....they are still there!

I still have a plastic Yes badge and a Yes helmet.

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Yes Marty Lynchford road is in North Camp  :daumenhoch:
we had a few jump spots around farnborough bitd
hawley woods, fleet pond, whites road, the daisy fields, the dell at the bottom of Rectory road park, the carpark thats now the underground had a dirt island we made a big jump in!
plus i remember we had a good jump out of a natural bowl on the edge of Queen Elizabth park, right out into the A325  :LolLolLolLol:

wildwood1971

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I used to live on lynchford road years ago next door to the bank above the apple computer shop! saw some great fights out of me window what with all the soldiers being based there

I remember the bowl jump on the A325 and as a kid my house was in aldershot so we backed onto the common - didnt take long to get to the Farnham track - both the 1st one by the sports centre and then the second one up sandy hill.

Happy memories indeed - i like the look of the YES frames look like a cross between a TA and an Aero Pro - wouldn't mind one myself.

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 06:50 PM »
My dad was the Scottish sales agent for Yes back in 1984 I think.  We drove down to Farnborough and came back with a Ford Granada estate packed full of YES BMX bits - Helmets, race clothing, bikes, accessories.  When I was down there we went along to the Farnham track where I met, and practiced with, Harvey Munckton who was a really nice guy.  I used one of the 'demo' Yes Aero bikes to race on and they were really crap.  The frame was all out of alignment, the alloy 3 piece cranks were absolute garbage, and I managed to snap a stem on one in less than 10 minutes  ::)  The Dominator frame may have been better quality than the complete bikes, which were all generic Taiwan rubbish with YES stickers applied to them. 

They had the Yes Aero, Yes Supergold (available in gold or chrome  :idiot2: It wouldn't be a supergold in chrome though would it???), Yes Competition, and the cruiser.  I've still got some of the YES dealer window stickers with the slogan "YES BMX - We've Got The Gear!" and a snazzy pair of gaiters  :laugh:

mr.magoo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Do i remember Melanie Vauvelle riding for them in mid eighties, or did she just wear the clothing??

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Yep, I recall some of the brochures around '84 had Melanie Vauvelle and Debbie Scott Webb  :smitten:  I will need to rake the brochures out and scan them

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 07:30 PM »
hawley woods, fleet pond, whites road, the daisy fields, the dell at the bottom of Rectory road park, the carpark thats now the underground had a dirt island we made a big jump in!
plus i remember we had a good jump out of a natural bowl on the edge of Queen Elizabth park, right out into the A325  :LolLolLolLol:

I reckon we've met if you were riding there in the early 80's.  I remember the jump out onto the road, it took/takes you to Frimley  if I remember right. 

wildwood1971

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I reckon we all might have met - i used to ride about at that time early 80's on a chrome gt pro with red colour way - skyways etc - i would have been the short mouthy mod looking one - not much has changed  :LolLolLolLol:

Used to race at farnham too, both tracks - i hailed from aldershot tho but managed to get to all the places mentioned above.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 07:45 PM »
I reckon we all might have met - i used to ride about at that time early 80's on a chrome gt pro with red colour way - skyways etc - i would have been the short mouthy mod looking one - not much has changed  :LolLolLolLol:

Used to race at farnham too, both tracks - i hailed from aldershot tho but managed to get to all the places mentioned above.

You could be right, I used to ride with an old friend who moved to Camberley and went to Tomlinscote school in Frimley.  Used to skate and ride the ramp at Farnborough (which I have ridden in their three other locations too - Uxbridge Spandrel, Windsor indoor at billy Smart's and Andover skateparks  :LolLolLolLol:).  I wore glasses, looked a bit geeky of sorts but into the sports casual thang but when I jumped or rode the halfpipe people always stopped and watched  :daumenhoch:.

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 09:14 PM »

I reckon we've met if you were riding there in the early 80's.  I remember the jump out onto the road, it took/takes you to Frimley  if I remember right. 

yeah thats the road between farnborough & frimley  ;)

i used to ride with Jason a lot as he lived like about a 30 second ride from my house at the time!

i found a pic with both of us in from bitd in Spurdens book of freestyle

Jason is sitting with the clipboard judging the competition (striped sleeve jacket) i'm watching from up on the bank with a no2 plate on my bike
still have that bike & plate   :daumenhoch:

he always rode with the number 1 plate as he was the best for miles around

i always rode with number 2 and yes i suppose in comparison i was number 2  ::) :LolLolLolLol:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 11:02 AM »
You have brought back a few memories talking about Yes.  I'm tidying up getting ready to move house and found my Yes bag and all my race stuff. The helmet and the shoes fit, shame about the trousers though !

I remember the jumps mentioned as well.

Can anyone remember what happened to Jason Nash ?  When he was riding for Yes he came to visit us about getting my father to build a quarterpipe for the trick team. The ramp was done but Jason had left and the team folded. I don't quite know how it happened but a few of my friends and I ended up riding for them.

We met Melanie Vauvelle and Debbie Scott Webb at a big race meeting in Cornwall where we did a display. I think we all fell in love with both of them to be honest. Not only were they pretty gorgeous they rode bikes as well ! If by any chance they read this I was the quiet shy one and had no part in the broken window.  ;)

darkslider

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Got a pair of their racepants! Not the best of pictures very slight wear on knees and front badge has split.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 09:05 PM »
here the one i sold on ebay
for 60 quid  >:(

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Jason was offered a load of money & a trip to the states but the girl he was seeing at the time put the knockers on that idea!
he literally stopped riding there & then and despite various attempts over the years i never managed to get him onto one again  :(
maybe something else happened but as far as i know he's never ever ridden again since  :-\
he also pretty much disapeared too! last time i saw his dad he said he was ok but never got any more than that out of him?  :-\

darkslider

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 11:46 PM »
£60 that looked gorgeous, how long ago?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06 AM »
It's a shame he dissapeared. I remember him doing completely horizontal bar presses without resting on his arms.
At the time we were all just pleased to be offered the chance to do the displays but I always wondered what happened.
Going back to the frames we were supposed to be getting a freestyle frame, I don't think they were Yes ones though. After about a year of doing displays things went quiet.  The bikes they built wern't very popular and I guess it would have cost a lot to develop anything new. It probably wasn't long after we stopped that the shop shut.

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31 AM »
i remember seeing Jays bike for sale in the shop window just after he jacked it in!
gen 1 haro freestyler with 401's & coaster Graphites  :shocked:
would be a nice bike to discover in a shed now  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  YES BMX - are there any restored?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx