gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 09:01 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying a seat.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dying a seat.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Dying a seat.
« on: July 27, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Anyone got any experience of dying seats..

I have a NOS white saddle that I want dying black...

I know people do it, but I know would just mess it up...

So if anyone has done this before and knows they will get a result, I would be happy to pay them to do it for me...

Any takers??

Cheers

Sanmarcopizza

Re: Dying a seat.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:16 PM »
Mate, it's a piece of piss.

Buy 2 little tubs of Dylon multi purpose dye from somewhere like Woolworths.

Get a Saucepan that will comfortably accept the seat and be big enough so that the seat cn be full immersed.

Fill the pan with enough water so that it will cover the seat when you put it in. Add approx 400g of alt & stir and get it to a temp that it is steaming but not bubbling. Remove the seat guts and gently lower it into the water. Leave it for 5 minutes with just the salty water and maintain the temperature so it is steaming.

After 5 mins carefully add the dye, it's black powder so be careful it can go anywhere. Gently stir making sure you do not bash any gold on the seat, because this is the only thing that can go wrong. You may prefer to remove the seat, to mix the dye in.

Every 5 mins stir the liquid, and I normally move the seat so that any points where it comes into contact with the pan get covered, as you may get spots of the colour showing through. The easiest way to lift the seat is to use a set of grips on the rails.

Repeat stirring etc and simmer for about 40 mins. When you are happy that the seat is done, remove it and take it over to the sink. Run it under the cold tap to cool it down, and harden the gold lettering. If it is a Kashi aero, you may want to smooth the Sticker at the back down before running it under the tap. When everything is cool, rub the seat down to remove any surface dye, cos you don't want a black arse. You will probably notice that there are glossy bits on a Kashi, which you may not have noticed before. They are all like that, you just notice it more when the are black.

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:52 PM »
I will give it a whirl...  ???  Fingers crossed and I will get back to you with the results!!

Cheers

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 07:51 AM »

so did it happen? or is it a myth, gotta do one asap or should I ask a fellow rad member to do it as I have hoofs and am very gifted?

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 07:53 AM »
Its on my list of things to do... The bike is 95% complete and need the seat as part of the final steps...

So will be doing it in next week..

:o :o :o :o :o

daz bmx it!

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I dyed a white seat to orange the other day it came out kinda ok,the colour was not that deep but i used dylon cold water dye(which you actually use hot water with?) what you should use is the dylon multi-purpose dye,but i found it had ltd colour choices in that,hence why i tried the cold water as this had every colour under the sun! does work ok,use the dylon fix they sell aswell and loadsa salt ;)

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 07:23 PM »
easy way

add seat minus guts into a bucket

add shed loads of salt , 2 tins of dylon NYLON dye, little tins from woolworth , read the bumf and get the one for nylon.

then pour boiled kettle water over it all untill covered. stir , poke and generaly have some back garden science fun

about 30 - 40 mins , rinse and you have a black seat

works on kashis and shoguns so far , but any nylon seat should work ok

Rich

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 12:42 AM »
yeah its good fun dying stuff

heres my white  wheels dyed "red"  with cold water dye

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - my wife laughed for about 3 days when she saw these  :-\ :'(
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 12:45 AM »
however i got hi tech for the next effort

and used the multi purpose dye,boiling water also heated by BBQ tray and i think a whole kilo of salt as well
& poss a pinch of basil not sure on that  ;D
results were stunning

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying a seat.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx