gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 02, 2024, 06:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Rotors – Are they any good?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACS Rotors – Are they any good?  (Read 2767 times)

Stevo

ACS Rotors – Are they any good?
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:42 AM »
Fellas, I am thinking about installing an ACS Pro Rotor (1987 version) on my Haro Master, but before I part with the cash. If any of you have one on your old school ride, let me know what you think of them – maybe the brakes don't work so well with one on and they are tricky to install. :-\ Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:49 AM by Stevo »

fraz167

Re: ACS Rotors – Are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:14 AM »
well bitd i never saw any that worked well...if that helps

Skyway Spinmasters were better....very tall though

Stevo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 01:43 PM »
Thanks Fraz, I thought they might be a bit dodgy.

If anyone uses the Skyway Spinner please post your verdict.

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Stevo,

Don't know what they are like but here's one I just seen

http://www.rudewheels.com/ViewAdvert.aspx?advert=8745&site=bikes

Regards

Paul

Stevo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 12:37 AM »
Yeah, if have seen Spinners on ebay, Rudewheels, etc. They don't look too good though.

The ACS Rotor looks as if it would work better, but I could be wrong. Skatepool sell the rotor but its got a bad review. Obviously, 80's technology isn't  like it is today, especially where brakes and gyros are concerned.

I might ask Biagio at Vert-ego as he sells them too and has installed them on a few bikes. Cheers.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I have used one or two in the past, they are cool if you dial em correct.

Make sure that you stretch out your cables first.

holeshotter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:00 PM »
If you want an ACS I have one new and I've never used it.

Stevo

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 02:27 PM »
If you want an ACS I have one new and I've never used it.
OK thanks, is it the '87 version (pictured)? Apparently, the earlier version ain't as good. If so how much, you can email me a price if you like. Cheers.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cymruambyth

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:27 PM »
i rode one bitd for about a week. hard to dial in and pretty terrible. if its for an 87 bike then you could think about an old odyssey gyro, i think they came out in 86? i had a mk one gyro on an 85 haro but i think i had to file some of the lower cup to get it to fit.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 06:14 PM »
I used a Skyway spinmaster last year on my Haro Master and it worked fine, the only problem was that the stem shaft bent because you need a bit of height on it for the thing to work :

This is slightly different to the one at Rude, I think Alans have the one I had, well they did because thats were mine came from.

If you are going to use the ACS Rotor then you will also need the ACS stem as it has the hole in it, and the stem is longer to accomodate the room needed for the rotor. ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

wirewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 06:36 PM »
get an odyssey gyro on there. you can get an early one easy i'm sure. all those before don't work because the cables wont balance. al they do is drag up the stem shaft. unless you grease the shit out of it and make loads of mess thats where the split cables on a gyro come in. they can be tricky to dial in at first but the only alternative to just a normal cable. rotors and spinmasters sucked. bent stems and dodgy brakes. remember that nothing has changed much to the original gyro design to this day except cable lengths and the size of the nuggets on the end of the cables. go for a gyro unless the bike is just for show and historical accuracy. whatever you do though put plenty of lube on all the cables!!!! good luck.

Stevo

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:22 PM »
Thanks for information fellas, especially Billy for uploading pics. Take your point about the stem having to be quite high to accommodate the stem.

I am going to check out Odyssey gyros. Not too bothered about it being era correct (bike '85 Haro). Just wouldn't mind having a decent set-up for doing frame whips and boomerangs.  :)

I see a lot of new school bikes have gyros, are they shit too? Do they need regular maintenance to keep em dialed?

holeshotter

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Re the acs rota
I aint gonna use it. I only wanted the stem as it came with it. if you give me a fiver to cover the P&P it's yours.
Let me know

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Re the acs rota
I aint gonna use it. I only wanted the stem as it came with it. if you give me a fiver to cover the P&P it's yours.
Let me know

If you are going to use the stem remember that it will not go all the way down in to the headtube as it has a longer stem tube than a normal stem. I used the ACS rotor on the stem just to take up the slack although I never conected it up.  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Stevo

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Re the acs rota
Let me know
Cheers, I will contact you over the weekend about this.

Do you still want to sell it after what Billy said in previous post (ACS stem will stick more than a typical stem)?

rom_kid_04

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07 PM »
the new gyros work ok on new brakes but not sure on old..... if you want the best go for the odessey gtx if you dont wanna spend £30+ then go for a sst oryg they come as standard on most bikes and are fine

Stevo

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 10:29 PM »
the new gyros work ok on new brakes but not sure on old..... if you want the best go for the odessey gtx if you dont wanna spend £30+ then go for a sst oryg they come as standard on most bikes and are fine
Good to hear modern gyros work well on new school bikes.  Won't  put one on the '85 Haro though, must be from the '80s era. Doubt it would fit anyway. Holeshot is selling his ACS one so I might get that and give it try. Failing that I will try to track down a Odyssey gyro ('80s model). Cheers

cymruambyth

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 11:41 PM »
the mk1 gyro came out in 86

holeshotter

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 11:42 PM »
Re the acs rota
Let me know
Cheers, I will contact you over the weekend about this.

Do you still want to sell it after what Billy said in previous post (ACS stem will stick more than a typical stem)?
I'll still sell it to ya as I ain't gonna use it. as for the stem iif it don't fit then I'll sell that too or may even cut the mo' fo' down

wirewheel

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 01:05 AM »
the only brake i found to be crap with a gyro is v brakes, because they got hardly no tension.
a gyro will work fine on a caliper as long as you have plenty tension on the brake spring. bend it out!, plenty of lube in the cables and no nasty kinks in the cables. thats where the call for shorter top gyro cables came in. fundamentally the gyro hasn't changed since it's invention, i was amazed when i first saw one. get the "flop" out of the bearing by adjusting the cables and you are set. follow the instructions!!! good luck again.

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 06:19 PM »
in the past 4 years i've fitted spinmaster 1x2 ,skyway spinmaster 2(on my mates bike), and currentlyrun an acs pro rotor on my trickstar show bike, and bitd speedwheels spinner,skyway spimnaster 1 and sr spintech system.without doubt the spinmaster 1, altough not the best looking, did work the best and did when i fitted them on show bikes 18 years later.just take your time and grease inner cables before fitting.the spinmaster also has a flexfighter built in... ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Rotors – Are they any good?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx