gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 03:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to fix the joining link to a new chain?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to fix the joining link to a new chain?  (Read 1254 times)

AJWD

How to fix the joining link to a new chain?
« on: December 01, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Just got a new chain, which is just one length, and has the fixing link with it. How, why, where??!! Can I do it without some special gizmo??!!

Help needed (mental too!)

Cheers arr kids,
Adey.

Sanmarcopizza

Re: How to fix the joining link to a new chain?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Nope, you need a chain breaker. They don't cost too much though. Probably get one for about £4.I personally don't like split links and throw them away, preferring to permanetly close the chain using the tool.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 07:17 PM »
You need a link extractor, get down to Halfords they should have one  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

AJWD

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Cheers guys. What's the rule of thumb on the length of the chain, and how do you know how to tailor it to the right size? I'm running a one piece crank if that makes any difference.

Stevo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 10:44 PM »
The length will vary from bike to bike as all rear triangles vary in length.

When you fit the chain and tension it with chain tensioners or by hand the wheel axle should be near the centre of the slot in the rear drop outs.  ;)

If the axle is near the end of the drop outs  the chain is too long and needs a link taken out with the aforementioned chain tool.

When removing links don't remove the rivet completely from the outer, just enough to take the inner bushing out. If you take the rivet out completely its very difficult to put back in again and if you do manage it you will probably push the outer sides in too close to the bushing resulting in a tight spot.  :(

If in doubt go to the local bike shop, like I do when all else fails. Most decent shops should be able to sort a BMX chain  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 10:46 PM by Stevo »

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 11:23 PM »
watch out, my local Halfords has the expensive ones under your nose and the cheap ones hidden in the corner under the Barbie bells

cymruambyth

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 11:37 PM »
steer clear of the Topeak Universal Chain Tool. total crap. mine broke first go! £8 too!

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 12:12 AM »
lol i use a grinder very slowly  :santa_afro:.
dave the bmxing gypo

wirewheel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:50 AM »
split links break real easy. yeah get a chain breaker man. i got one i bought in 84 that still works fine. as for halfords stay well clear because they tend to put an extra ten quid on everything they sell. i needed a part for my car radio recently £4.25 at halfords, £1.50 at local place. i aint saying boycott the place or anything but  it will probably be cheaper elsewhere and a smaller local shop guy will probably show you how to use it properly.
halfords staff are usually underpaid, miserable and unhelpful at best, useless at worst. :idiot2:
god bless the small trader :angel:

AJWD

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 05:17 PM »
Thanks everyone. Went to my local bike shop, and he said he could do it for £3, so I'm copping out. Probably be down there tomorrow anyway as I'm fitting a Tioga sealed bottom bracket for the first time, and have'nt got a clue how it goes! If anyone has advice, or even better pictoral advice I would be muchly grateful.

Cheers,
Adey.

weston

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 05:43 PM »
i bought one from ebay yesterday £2.99

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to fix the joining link to a new chain?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx