gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 02:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dodgy fork thread ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dodgy fork thread ideas  (Read 645 times)

80sdave

Dodgy fork thread ideas
« on: December 11, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Rights i have a skyway streetscene fork and the most vital section of thread is knackered to the extent that its gone leaving me with the option of a new fork which are like donkey pooh to find so does anyone know if i can get round it with one of those tioga headlock things, eg does that sit higher than a normal headset nut etc any ideas welcome.
Cheers

selfpreservation

Re: Dodgy fork thread ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:16 PM »
a goodbike shop should be able to retap the threads foryou for around a tenner ,but if they are stripped all the way it wont work

selfpreservation

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:29 PM »
you may be able to get someone to weld a new 1" tube on the forks and get it tapped ,or even build up the existing threads and get them retapped a bit (wouldnt ride on them though be ok for a show pony)

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54 AM »
ring billys bmx they can do shim and ahead stem and headset so ya dont need the threads i think i used one set up like this last year

80sdave

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:44 AM »
cheers guys this will never be ridden it's my first resto i just want to keep it original as possible ill see what billys got.
Thanks again.

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:03 PM »
hi dave

I got a set of forks once that the thread wouldn't start because someone had hit them with a hammer and also further down the steerer they were damaged too.

I took to my local shop and he filed the top flat again to allow the threads to start. then he went around the damaged ones with a junior hacksaw blade to recut them.

Once he'd down that he ran the headset top plate up and down them half a dozen times to clean them out. job done

They have been fine ever since. Good luck

Marc

jon foz

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I would say the easiest way would be to get another set of forks and cut then re-weld the threaded part onto your existing forks,there are loads of cheap forks to choose from

Jon

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dodgy fork thread ideas

gfxgfx
gfx gfx