gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara Super Nova restoration - To powder coat or wet spray?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kuwahara Super Nova restoration - To powder coat or wet spray?  (Read 735 times)

yorkie74

hi

I currently restoring my "survivor" Kuwahara Super Nova back to her former glory. I've fully stripped the f&f and was all set to have her powder coated - but i've been told by one firm that the PC finish would be quite thick and almost certainly obscure the frame stamps ( Kuwahara on the bb, seat post, rear drop outs and rear brake stay ) in addition, the PC seemed to be "mottled" when finished in gloss. The guy was really helpful, and actually said I would be better off having it wet painted, althiugh he didnt do it himself and couldnt recommend anyone.

SO my next question is does anyone have any idea how I could go about matching the same white as the original? I rmember when I was 14 i tried touching the bike up with "Rpver White" and its looked shite so I ended up re-spraying the whole thing Peogeot ( Candy apple ) red - which is how it stayed until 2 weeks ago when i set about the thing with wet and dry and paint stripper. Additionaly the forks are chrome - they are the original and appear to have just been sprayed over by Kuwa - and they chipped easier than a king edward hence the original re spray. Would I be better to have these stripped back to the metal pre re spray?

And then to my original question of to Powder coat or wet spray? And does anyone know of a good sprayer in the Hertfordshire area?

cheers

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Kuwahara Super Nova restoration - To powder coat or wet spray?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:27 PM »

powder all the way!!
i had my quadangle powdered recently and you can still see the serial no quite clearly(it was pretty faint to begin with)
paint chips to easy,re-assembly of painted frames without any scratches is plenty tricky.
powder man dan is the man to speak to on here.he is master of his craft,ask anyone on here.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00 PM »

speak to superbikedan on here for powder coat.

yorkie74

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:48 PM »
cheer's fellas I'll try dan!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41 PM »
cheer's fellas I'll try dan!

Dan can powder and wet spray, here's my Scorpion the master passed his hand over with wet spray ....

Better to crash and burn than fade away

yorkie74

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Dude - how right were you - Superbike is an absolute LEGEND - no question.

Went from from this

to this

He even preserved the K stamps - no mean feat with powder!

with stickers

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:06 PM by yorkie74 »

daz bmx it!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Nice :daumenhoch: sent you a pm buddy ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara Super Nova restoration - To powder coat or wet spray?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx