gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 01:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ripper XL Serial Numbers (dating scans now added it a 92! (maybe))
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ripper XL Serial Numbers (dating scans now added it a 92! (maybe))  (Read 8577 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Ripper XL Serial Numbers (dating scans now added it a 92! (maybe))
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Ok dudes,
 having been Se obsessed, esp mids chool for many years now, here's what I understand to be the timeline - the straight stay pk ripper with the integrated seatclamp was 1985 for one year only. Imn 86 they introduced the curvy chainstays and thats the way it stayed until 1991 - and in 1991 they introced the Pitbull mount pk ripper in two sizes - I have both sizes still - one with a 20.5" pro tobtube, one with a 21" pro XL toptube.
There is a grey area around 1990 when they may have introced a 20.5 or 21" toptube curvy chainstay pk ripper with regular caliper mount, just before the pitbull mount ripper came out in 91. The pitbull ripper hung around until about 1994 when the frame went from 1" to 1.1/8" and they added canti mounts on the rear.
Around this time of 94/95 SE were doing small numbers of frames with weird combinations of headtubes/brake mounts as they were using up old stock I guess and bridging the gap between 1" and oversized and from caliper to cantilever - so dont be surprised if you find a 1" headtube bike with canti mounts, or a 1.1/8" headtube pk with pitbull mounts.
 i myself had a pitbull mount pk ripper that had a very strange headtube - it was essentially an oversize 1.1/8" headtube that had a shim inside it to reduce it down to a 1" headtube fitting, and this was a factory frame - not  second hand botch. very interesting!
In 95 ish onwards they had the pkr ipper xl and the pro length until 1997/8 when Se went overseas with some of their frame production  , but before it was sold to Fuji Bicycles and became the Se we know today.
The Pro XL pk riipper was stil produced in 1999 in asia, and you can tell these from the serial numbers  - I have one here - they basically had their floval tubesets and designs replicated out in asia - so the frames look identical to the us made ones from  a year or so before. The Asian pk ripper from 1999 had the larghe SE downtube decals, and normall one or two serial numbers - one is on the top of the bb shell [as if youre looking down when riding, itd be on your left or right on top of the bb shell] and normally started with the letters   IS [possibly for International Standard whcich the US bb was then] and then some numbers.
Other models also had a serial number on the underneath of the bb shell too, but not all.
Hope ive helped!
steve

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 10:08 AM »
This is like a 86, 87 I think  , you tell me

but was made especially  for Carlo Griggs in a one off colour
 a bit like a DYNOROD Fluorescent orange  :D

he told me he got it in 1989/90
but look no cable guides ( and I had this stripped , no signs of ever having them removed )
no hole in the bottom seattube for pitbull
basically same as a straightstay 85 but 86 onward stays  :-\ just caliper brake

Luckily I found out the history of this bike , back to original owner Carlo , or else I'd have never sussed it out  :shocked:

There's some real random ones , over the years, Mr Wilson has pointed out  :)

Mine looks like the one in the  black and white magazine page posted by Bigplinky

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:17 AM by Hunterdubber »

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Steve you are the SE man thanks for posting  :daumenhoch:

Just measured the top tube on mine and I recon it is the 20.5" version Pro not the XL

Hunter I'm liking that Ripper looks classy in black and chrome

Note 13/03/2010 the TT length of a Ripper XL is 20.75" and mine is an XL  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:13 PM by Bigplinky »
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ripper XL Serial Numbers (dating scans now added it a 92! (maybe))

gfxgfx
gfx gfx