gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 09:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Spanner size needed, please help.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spanner size needed, please help.  (Read 1653 times)

groover247

Spanner size needed, please help.
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Guys,

I have a fair few new school hubs, cassette of course.

They are all the type with screw on sprockets.

I need to change the sprockets, but have no idea what size the flats are on the body, i sure as hell aint clamping the cassette body in a vice.

Any help would be appreciated, i just wanna find out the size so i can grind a spanner flatter and get it in there.

Cheers
sutty

SaMAlex

Re: Spanner size needed, please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I dont know too much about cassette hubs as Ive only had/seen a few of them (and there are loads out there now). The ones I have seen just have a push on "driver" that is held in place with the cone nuts. You just undo the cones and it all pulls apart.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:33 PM »
 :) An Odyssey 10mm Race takes a 34mm.You don`t by chance have a spare retaining nut? Mine blew up and I can`t seem to get a replacement anywhere!

James

street

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Do you have some vernier calipers?
If not, you can get a cheap plastic vernier caliper for something like £1.50 at Wilkos, it's plenty thin so it should fit in there for you to measure the nut  :daumenhoch:

Sirkillalot

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Guys,

I have a fair few new school hubs, cassette of course.

They are all the type with screw on sprockets.

I need to change the sprockets, but have no idea what size the flats are on the body, i sure as hell aint clamping the cassette body in a vice.

Any help would be appreciated, i just wanna find out the size so i can grind a spanner flatter and get it in there.

Cheers
sutty

back of the cassette body in a vice is the quickest and easiest mate, just make sure theres some aluminium jaws in there, take the pawls out and clamp it across them, and use a chain whip on the sprocket. works a treat everytime,just beware your gonna need brute force to un do them! I broke a chain whip undoing one on a proper hub it was that tight!yorkshire brute force is whats needed!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Spanner size needed, please help.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx