gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 05:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid  (Read 640 times)

virtualmeuk

Oxalic Acid
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Hi All.

I have read somwhere about Oxalic acid baths? Been on the old fleabay and they sell the stuff quite reasonably but is it what i am after?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oxalic-Acid-400g-Tub-ethanedioic-acid-Stain-removing_W0QQitemZ290209856092QQihZ019QQcategoryZ104233QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1728.m124

Basicly i have an old DB frame that has strange 'liquid' marks on it and i have tried autosol etc but nothing seems to be shifting it. Is it possible to get this stuff off the bay and get a garden hand held spray bottle and spray it on and give it a rub without actually having to bathe the whole frame. (Dont think the wife would let me stick it in the bath)

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:29 PM by virtualmeuk »

login_user

Re: Oxalic Acid
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:17 PM »
You really need to soak it for a couple of days. I'm not sure it will get the marks off you mention,but is worth ago. as the chrome does shine up nice.  :daumenhoch:

I use mine in an old wheelbarrow  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Munners did me a quite large favour and let my RSR frame and forks soak in his oxalic bath for a few days and it came out gleaming.  It will highlight any defects in the chrome like scratches or chips in the chrome and won't necessarily remove the marks, it will remove almost all traces of rust though.  Definitely worth doing as it gives the chrome a good clean removing years of grime  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

munners

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35 PM »
cheers mart. ;)

would love to see a pic of it now. ;) :shocked:

lcfc

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:02 PM »

Forget the bay mate you need more than what they are offering.

At least 5kgs is required and it needs to sit for at least a couple of days, these are the best dealers of the stuff i have found and the cheapest, also offers a 24hr postal service.

http://constructionchemicals.co.uk/acatalog/joinery_products.html#a77

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:04 PM »
cheers mart. ;)

would love to see a pic of it now. ;) :shocked:

It's still soaking up the metal polish  >:D

Soon, very soon  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

virtualmeuk

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Ok. Thanks for all the replies.

What dilution do i need to use on this? I am thinking to reduce waste and as i have no bath i am goint to make a box of similat shape to the frame so that it fits neatly. Therefore the amount of acid i would require would be less than if i used it in the bath. So questions are as follows?-

1) What ratio do i dilute the stuff?
2) Will the acid eat the polythene i would be using to line the box?
3) Do i need to empty and re fill the box regularly?
4) Do i need to treat the surface once out of the bath to stop future rust coming back?

Cheers
Steve

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid

gfxgfx
gfx gfx