gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old Skool uk track map...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old Skool uk track map...  (Read 122439 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Old Skool uk track map...
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Nope, never races that track back in the day or even rode it, i didn't even know they had a track.  :-\
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

rad_pitt

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Think this is the remains of what was a small track - Forest Recreation ground, Nottingham. It's hidden amongst the trees.

phatjimmy

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Hello i could be wrong but the track for tolworth tommahawks on the list is in the wrong place i think. Ive never been ( before my time ) but when ive been told about it i was lead to believe it was on the other side of the road and at some point after was used for r/c cars. The track pictured is for kids mx bikes i think its an inner city project of some kind. Ive tried to look on the area around the track and nothing jumps out but i would be interested to know.

darren3016

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16 AM »
what about Brandon in Suffolk.....  Home of the 'Flint town fliers!!!!

thefifthmember

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Just looked at the map and then read the whole thread before seeing a post right at the end about what I was going to say.

Surbiton Town/Tolworth Tommahawks is indeed marked in the wrong place. It was on the other side of the Kingston Road, off of Worcester Park Road. I went go karting there late 98 and the starting hill was still there and parts of the track but by the looks of this picture... http://www.surbiton-raceway.co.uk/our_track.htm it is no longer there and in instead a second go kart track.

Might have to ride the 40th birthday build down there next week and take some pictures,   :-\

rotator101

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21 AM »
dronfield bmx track chestefield road ,derbyshire     long 53 17 49 59    lat 1 27 16 61

thefifthmember

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Some pics of Surbiton Town. Not a lot left now...

Offline flashhazzard

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Alright fella. Good work on the tracks.

I used to race in the deepest darkest depths of Lincolnshire (although might now be South Humberside as they keep changing the border). I notice that there is not much on the map in that area.

The old school BMX track that is missing from your map was based in an old chalk pit in Grasby. Grasby is a small village near Humberside Airport and on the road between Caistor and Brigg. The club I used to race for was the Humberside Heroes and we used this track as our base.

I left the area a long time ago so I am not sure if it is still there. The track did hold a national I believe in the early eighties though. It was a good track.

Regards

Ed

Offline Ripper

• Rated:
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Cheslyn Hay's very own Little Hawks track was once here......

52.669076, -2.033308

And the Hilton Park pop up indoor track with wooden ramps was somewhere around here....

52.644613,-2.05496
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:13 PM by Ripper »

Offline Horseye

• Rated:
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2014, 11:20 PM »
You've got none of the North of Scotland tracks. There were definitely tracks at Inverness (Bears), Nairn (River Raider), Forres (Flyers) and Maryburgh (Monarchs). If you want help with the exact locations, I reckon I could pin down the Inverness & Nairn ones, might struggle with the others.

Offline JohnnyStone

• Rated:
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Great idea doing the old school track mapping, and the one about restoring old tracks and getting them listed with English Herritage!!

Newton Abbot racecourse was my local track back around '82 - '84... South West Scorpions...  Will never forget the day when 12 year old Nicky Dalton appeared from nowhere, hired out some bikes for a fun day out with his mates... and blew everyone away!

Must get on with my search for a DP  firebird mk 1 to build my old bike again...

Johnny 

Offline seanwilkie

• Rated:
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2015, 07:26 PM »
  evening all,    just had a look thru the old school BMX tracks map ,  and neither of the two tracks i used to race at are on there  ..   but then not many people used them and they were not around for long  for differing reasons  .. 

First one was Broxbourne Track  in Hertfordshire,   and the site is now the Paradise Wildlife park,  but  back in 82/3  it was a very small private Zoo  and there was a track built in the woods ( what is now the minature woodland railway )    i can remember the small berms and the finish was a table top which one of my friends came a cropper on one day snapping his Ultra burner Forks off !  more fondly and   uniquely was how it was served ..    we used to catch a old double decker bus which had the downstairs seats removed for bike storage and we sat upstairs ,., it used to wind a route through Enfield, Waltham Cross,  Waltham abbey and Broxbourne picking up at Bike shops along the way .. we used to catch it at  ( memory goes a bit here ! )   Days cycles (?)   by Albany park in Enfield Highway  and be dropped back there on the way back after a day up  at Broxbourne woods   
Second one was smaller and what we would call a pump track nowadays .. In Higham Hill rec ground in Walthamstow ..    i recall races being held there whether official or not i cant remember  and it was at the top of the field  and built on an old running track area of crushed Asphalt/ash   as i recall.   
and last and by no means least ... was our own little homebuilt practice track my mates and me built on some waste ground behind one of there houses  ..  it was on a piece of land locally  known as "the dell"  in Enfield on the A10  directly opposite the Enfield Crematorium ..  we   (ahem!) "Sourced"   a couple of spades, a trolley  and a wheelbarrow  and spent the summer of 83 digging holes all over the field and arranging it strategically  in a organised  way to form three berms and a couple of lumps    but never  got to the dizzy heights of anything you could call a table top !   most weekends   some local kids  would turn up and have a try but never seemed to come back :-(   but we loved it cos it was ours !  lol 

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Buckmore park in Kent used to have an awesome BMX track, I used to race there most Sundays in and around 1981/2

Sadly it is just a Kart track there now (although if memory serves me correct the kart track did not replace/go over the top of the BMX track)

Track was located at ME5 9QG for your map info or just google Buckmore park.

And some else has already mentioned the BMX track that used to be beside Barnehurst Golf course - also in Kent

Cheers

MrD
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:41 PM by MrD »
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

Offline jellybean

• Rated:
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Hi, so do you have the Newtown, Powys track c.1982 / 83 / 84 on your list? I have a handful of pics taken at the time but are properly blurry, i have added them below if anyone is interested. I used to race there aged 13 / 14, my dad took the pics but i can't even tell which one is me!

Offline Tooutdoors

• Rated:
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Just a brief introduction.  Tyneside Outdoors (TO) are running a BMX Track Heritage project with young people in South Shields.  The project is looking at the BMX Dirt Track in Temple Park, South Shields and look at all aspects of the track and its context with the park, South Sheilds, and the 1980's.  We've already found some interesting stuff.  We've even found the track! Well parts of it, so far.  We'll shre what we find on a local Facebook Group (Temple Park BMX Dirt Track) and will share when we can on this forum too.

Over this winter we hope to cut back all the overgrown vegetation to expose the full width of the track, around its perimeter.  However, as we're unclear about the original layout and how it work (2 directions?) we need a little help! Check out the photo of the 2nd or 2nd last jump that we've just cleared of 6ft high bramble.

Also, we've got an event on Giving Tuesday, 27th November, when we're asking local people and businesses to lend us their support with some of the hard graft, clearing bramble, shrubs, etc.  Check out the even on TO's FB page.[/img]

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Just a brief introduction.  Tyneside Outdoors (TO) are running a BMX Track Heritage project with young people in South Shields.  The project is looking at the BMX Dirt Track in Temple Park, South Shields and look at all aspects of the track and its context with the park, South Sheilds, and the 1980's.  We've already found some interesting stuff.  We've even found the track! Well parts of it, so far.  We'll shre what we find on a local Facebook Group (Temple Park BMX Dirt Track) and will share when we can on this forum too.

Over this winter we hope to cut back all the overgrown vegetation to expose the full width of the track, around its perimeter.  However, as we're unclear about the original layout and how it work (2 directions?) we need a little help! Check out the photo of the 2nd or 2nd last jump that we've just cleared of 6ft high bramble.

Also, we've got an event on Giving Tuesday, 27th November, when we're asking local people and businesses to lend us their support with some of the hard graft, clearing bramble, shrubs, etc.  Check out the even on TO's FB page.[/img]

Maybe worth sharing on the "Renegade Bmx Crew" page on fb. Lots of riders on there who don't mind getting their hands dirty.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old Skool uk track map...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx